What's happened to Camping MB

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, that explained it!

Camping is more than sleeping in a tent or other shelter. If that's all it is to you I think you need a refresher course on camping! Camping is organizing the site in the best manner, setting up the tents (if used), unloading the gear, setting up the gear, stowing the gear that doesn't get set up, foraging for wood for the fire, getting the fire started, etc. Hiking, biking, rappelling, etc. can be done as part of a camping trip but in no way should they be required for the merit badge. One doesn't have to camp to go hiking nor does one have to hike to go camping!

I would thing, Bob, that if the BSA required a Scout to learn to tap dance while on a camping trip you would think that would be OK.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Ed,

What do you think camping is? Think about what a camp is. It's a bedroom, a kitchen, a dining room, a family room, and a bathroom. That's it! It's a very small house with a very big back yard.

Too many troops make living in the house the goal of camping. Make what you do in the back yard the purpose of going out. You should only be in the house when you have to be.

I have no idea what your camping abilities are or those of the scouts you teach, but most the people I camp with and the scouts I have worked with can set up a camp site in 20 minutes and strike it as fast. The rest are things we do every day, cook, eat, and sleep (how tough is that?). What makes camping fun and interesting is the stuff you do when you are awake and not eating. That's the part that takes planning and training.

In the times I have been on an outdoor activity camping takes the least amount of time. Most skilled outdoorsmen (and women) go out to do STUFF; canoe, hike to a special place, cave, canoe, fish, climb, cycle etc.

That's why a scout should have no trouble getting to First Class in one year. The skills of camping just aren't that tough and there really isn't that much you have to learn. It's the STUFF you do when you are not eating or sleeping that require skill and years of practice to really learn.

Don't go camping, go have adventures, and while your out there eat and sleep outdoors.

Merit badge requirements come and go. Anybody can find something objectionable about just about any requirement of any merit badge...if they are so inclined. Of course, there are some pretty stupid things in a lot of the requirements and if we were asked to write a merit badge booklet, I am sure we each could do so much better and it would be survive the critique of this esteemed panel (I for one have written our troop's underground Farting Merit Badge - a true labor of love). Lets stop arguing about it and get the kids outside and working on achieving these predetermined, objective goals -whatever they may be.

WWBPD

Deut 23:13

Bob,

I already told you what camping is. Can't you read? And just because the BSA added these requirements to the MB, doesn't mean they were correct! Remember the changes to the swimming MB awhile back? The BSA changes them back when there were tons of complaints about them!

Like a said before, if the BSA required tap dancing as part of the camping MB, you would think that's OK!

Ed Mori

Troop 1

No Bob. No personal attacks. Just observations from you posts.

Now, care to comment on the theme of this thread? Do you think requiring hiking or rappelling or biking as part of the camping merit badge is correct? If so, why and visa versa. Your opinion, Bob.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

Since the point is to show the scout that camping is about what you do when you are awake and not just setting up a place to sleep I find the activities very appropriate. Now we need to get unit leaders need to learn that camping is about what you do when you are out of the campsite.

So if a Troop goes camping they should do something out of the campsite? What if they don't? Are they still camping?

I don't agree. Hiking, biking & rappelling are all great activities! But they shouldn't be required as part of the camping MB.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

What would the 200 member of the national advancement committee disagree with me on?

And I know this sound silly but Bob, answer my questions & I will answer yours. You seem to answer questions by asking another one. Bad form.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

Ed,

Camping without any other activity is no different then sitting in your house all day, it just has a different view.

Now about the responsibilitiy of a commissioner to support and represent the program, policies and procedures of the BSA....

Bob,

So camping without leaving the campsite isn't camping! Even if the newer Scouts work on their requirements & the older Scouts work on their lashings and all the patrols participate in a cooking demo! WOW! I didn't know a unit had to leave the campsite to go hiking or biking or rappelling for it to be camping! Would you please post your sources for your definition of camping? Thanks

Now as to your question - my responsibility as a commissioner is to support the policies & procedures of the BSA.

Now care to answer my last question? Thanks

Ed Mori

Troop 1

Gladly, the Merriam-Webster Dictionary.

1 : to make camp or occupy a camp

2 : to live temporarily in a camp or outdoors -- often used with out

3 : to take up one's quarters : LODGE

By the way the Scoutmaster training, which you say you have lead, spends quite a bit of time on this point.

Stay in camp and work on advancement requirements? Why not go do something that requires the application of the skills that you were supposed to be taught at the troop meeting, and by application of the skill you pass the requirement?

Boys do not want to sit at camp and pass tests, they want to go live adventures.

This too is what is taught in the Scoutmaster Basic Training.