John,

That was an "un-official" POR patch that someone had made. Unless the BSA has recently endorsed this position it is not legit.

I , for one, think it is a great idea! I know that maintaining a troop website takes a fair amount of work and is a great asset to any unit.

If anyone knows where to get the patch, let us know.

CE

I'm at home now, and my chances of getting a complete post through are greater.

This patch was well designed and executed ... but since I could not see the back, I could not tell if it was from Supply Division.

Had the Scouting FDL, a silver web througout the patch, and WEBMASTER in green in the proper curvature.

John

Our troop made it into an unofficial official position of leadership. The boys voted. It is equivalent to a historian. As a matter of fact, with the amount of information that goes up on our website, he is very busy. We are at a point where there are about 60 hits on our website per week ... so our site is being viewed by the parents and some of the boys. At least the parents are well informed. I purchased the Webmaster patch for him at

http://scoutingtheweb.com/webmaster/

1Hour

ps: Okay, BW go ahead ... it's not an official, sanctioned position. I know ... I know ... we can't make up requirements! This one requirment is the one that I'm glad that it was the boys who wanted.

BW is out of luck at Star and Life...

From Requirements, p14:

(or carry out a Scoutmaster assigned leadership project to help the troop)...

Remembering also that a boy can be in a Crew as he continues to advance after 1st Class, there is additional flexibility in the officer positions there as well.

FWIW, Webmaster has elements of historian and scribe in it. I've held down a site outside of Scouting. It can be a time investment, as you said, Mr OneHour.

John

John ... BW is Bob White. He corrects the misinformed scouters such as myself and he usually goes strickly by the book. :)

I agree; however, I think that BP said it ... for the boys ... by the boys. In our troop case, the boys elected to have the Webmaster position as one of the POR and since this is their game, this is one rule that is not in the book nor by the book that was agreed by the adults as well. We all viewed it as the troop's digital librarian position.

(This message has been edited by OneHour)

Ed, it doesn't say a scout can't be webmaster. It just says that adults, who report to the committee, should have control over the content. A scout can still be webmaster and have adults review/approve all content.

Wow, for someone not part of this thread, Bob White has been referred to 4 times already.

I would not agree with a POR of Webmaster. What happens when the youth goes to a BOR and it's decided that he did not hold a true POR? It seems to me that this sets him up for failure. However, as a SM approved project to benefit the troop, I think this is a great idea. Maybe it's nothing more than semantics, but to go against what has been defined as approved PORs to create one just doesn't seem to be in the best interests of the Scouts.

This seems like a good time to encourage youth and adults alike to write to National about considering adding this as a POR. Considering how important computers and the web are today, maybe the change can be made, but made in an official way.

I have not looked at the Computer MB or Communications (I believe there is one called Communications?) recently. Does webmaster fall under a MB already?(This message has been edited by Laurie)

I am amazed that there are those who would pull another posters name into a conversation when he or she has not even posted in the thread and make such malicious comments. Now I see many of you have become clairvoyant and now believe you know what I will say before I even say it. Not only that but then reubut what it is you think I will say and criticize me for my imagined response. What a useful gift.

And you are supposed to be the leaders? Whether or not to wear a Webmaster patch is not your biggest concern.

Bob, I'm sorry to have used your name too, though I was rather bothered by assumptions of what you might say being posted.

Do you happen to have thoughts on the issue of Webmaster as POR? In your own words? I have little experience in troops, so I'd like to hear more about this and if it's a possibility.

John-in-KC, thanks for the answer to the MB question I asked.

Only mentioned out of respect ... not out of spite. Mentioned it as to be humorous. Granted that it may be perceived as untasteful, but only meant to be light-hearted. Someone described himself to me as being funny, but I guessed wrong. I guess that this scouting thing is a serious business and that there is a serious decorum to be held.

As most around here, I'm only help the boys along their way and not claiming to be a leader, not claiming to know all there is about scouting. As a matter of fact, I post to share what we do in our troop and to learn.

I am not supposed to be the leader ... the boys are! But I guess that I glad about one thing ... I can still laugh with just about anyone ... until I can't do that any more that will be MY biggest concern and not that I can't be a leader. If I lost all of my humor, I would then have taken this scouting thing too seriously!

My Apologies if I intentionally offended anyone!