Merit Badges done during Troop mettings

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not everything in troopoperation is in the SM Handbook. The SMHB does contain the 7 element troop meeting planner, and the outline for earning meritbadges as a personal effort by the boy learning topics that he has selected that are interesting to him. The best resource to substantiate what many have said here is the original one I directed Beaver to, the Advancement Committee Policies and Procedures manual page 27.

This is also covered in Scoutmaster Leader Specific Training.

Bob White

We have gone both ways but I encourage the troop not to do MBs at troop meetings, there's plenty of better activities. Unfortunately, our district (Council?) doesn't have a MB program so the troops are left to their own devices. This factor places a lot of pressure to include MB activities in some troop venue. I keep hoping for a real MB program...

Like what packsaddle? The only MB program the council is responsible for is recruiting and trasining MB counselors. The merit badge program is an individual pursuit for scouts to follow. why is there any pressure on the troop? the troop's role is to introduce the MB oportunities and trigger the scouts curiosity and interests. What program does a council have to provide for you to do that?

Bob White

Yep, that's the way I view it too. That's the way I knew it as a scout. Decades later I am still shocked and dismayed that the boys don't have such a MB program. It doesn't exist here. Here no such training or recruiting is done, not at least in our district. No list of registered MB counselors, no place for the boys to turn to at the district level (not sure about the council).

THAT's what puts the pressure on the troops: the lack of such district resources requires each troop to create their own mini-MB program. These programs consist of a few parents doing multiple MBs as unregistered counselors - for their own boys, not for other troops. A waste of time and a loss to the boys who do not benefit from the program you describe. I agree with you.

I really opened up a can of worms with my question.(looking at the the replies in the last 24 hours) The reason I asked the question was that I am the district commissioner for my district and I have been visting units with my unit commissioners doing spot checks. I just observe and let my unit commissioner do his thing. I have seen 5 or 6 boys ages 12 to 14 with 15 to 20 merit badges.(all the same) It seems that these troops have turned into merit badge mills,to me the boys are missing the true boy scout program. This is where training the adult leaders comes into to play. I should say not all the troops run this way about 25% (have visted 17 units this year as of Sept.) This will be a hot topic at my next district commissioners meeting.(training and troop program)

beaver1onit, I agree with your sentiment on the 'MB mill' phenomenon. To answer Bob White's suggestion and to address your concern, I note that I have, indeed, made proposals to correct this problem. When I started as a naive leader, I tried and tried to get something going. I volunteered to organize it. I wrote letters. That was 4 DEs ago. Nothing. My conclusion: They. Don't. Care.

To further complicate things, once troops get in the habit of being MB mills, it is a difficult habit to break. My view is that without direct, forceful action from above (meaning Council) nothing will change. The council could break this with a stroke of a pen. They are aware of the situation, they have the means to correct a problem, and they do...nothing.

I do know the BSA policy on utilizing the troop meetings for merit badge training. I also know that almost every Webelos parent asks me, the SM, if our troop conducts MB classes during the troop meeting. Given the very limited time I have to answer their multitude of questions I am very blunt (my fault I admit) and say, "No. We do not conduct MB classes during troop meetings. We feel that advancement is the individual responsibility of the Scout. Our responsibility as adult troop leaders is to provide the opportunities for the boys to advance. We may bring in a MB counselor and/or subject matter expert to expose the boys to a topic and create some fun activities but we do not go item per item through the MB requirements." I also notice that after my answer, many adults respond with, "Well Troop XXX does and I think you should too.!" I have noticed that for many of the families, rapid advancement is the goal of the parents, having fun is the goal of the boys. I tend to respond to the latter.