Hi I just stumbald on this site.My name is al and I am training to be a scout master for a bunch of grate boys. and could use any advice from any one out there. The leader know is a nice guy but the kids are way behinde in advancment. Exept fore his son hew is trying to get egal. This is only the start of problums. there is also no sherts,tents are ten years old and leak,no mess kits,camp stuff or books fore boys. All camping stuff was bought by them and gose with them when thay go.Know you see whare I am at and how advice could help thanx.

Welcome to the Forums Al!

Were I in your shoes, I would worry more about making sure that the boys were advancing and having fun first. If they are then fundrasing and new equipment, uniforms and the rest will come. The first priority will be to make sure the boys are on board with the changes. If they are happy hanging out with the old (or no) equipment and you come in and try to make them Eagles in the next 6 months you may lose them, if howevere they are the driving force behind the adfvancement you may have to hold onto the reins and go along for the ride.

Let the boys set the pace and the culture of the troop with your guidance. Make sure they are having fun and the rest will come with a sense of troop pride.

Hi everyone! I'm Paul, one of the chosen students by the National Youth Organization to be a member of the 1983 BSP Philippine contingent to the 15th World Jamboree in Alberta, Canada during my 5th grade and many times served as camp staff and scout master in the Philippines from then on during my HighSchool days. However, starting 1997 I have been inactive from Scouting. Now, I have a son and a daughter whos also a member of the Girl Scouts in the Philippines before we left. I educated them about the values, stories and experiences I gained from those momentous scouting years from which they are excited to experience for themselves. It has come again to my senses what if I joined as an adult member of the BSA? And of course my kids will become BSA's. We are just new migrants here in Encinitas, California. Its been 14 long years and I cant describe how I miss those good old Scouting days. Perhaps here it would be a lot more different. I would like to be educated from you fellow scouters from this forum how is BS going on in the US. Glad to exchange and know ideas/knowledge from you guys.

just did training know i know what it is missing mainly a committy and a calender there is no planing in play at all. That and boys are not running the troop. This could make it more fun for them and me.

One thing when and how do I get my patch's trained and scoutmaster? Do I have to buy them or are thay issued?

For scout Master you need 5 courses 3 are on-line 1) youth protection, 2) fast start, 3) This is scouting. then two courses are in person courses.. 1) "Scoutmaster & Asst Scoutmaster Specifics" and the 2) "Intro to outdoor Leader Skills"..

I know when people finish both of these courses, we will give them the patch (well it is included in the course cost they paid, so not really free..) But, if you have all 5 of these training you and it is not issured by the course trainers, you can always go to the Scout store and buy one for yourself.

• 1 month later...

During your training, ask around for the popcorn guy. You'll find him. Get with him/her and

work up a plan-figure out what gear you need, what monthly trip costs will be, etc., in other

words, come up with a budget, then you can determine how much popcorn you'd like to sell

to get you where you need to be. You can fund your entire program with it, I promise!!!

Good luck to you. Lots of good advise here.

I ran across this web site and I thought it might be helful for our pack. I am a den leader for 15 boys (wolf) and we are having a problem filing the spot in our pack for committie chair. We have a lot of talant in our pack but no one want to step forward and help out. Any suggestions ?