Compare Scouting vs Sports ?

On 8/17/2019 at 5:29 PM, SubSM said:

I appreciate your thoughts. It is good to hear a different perspective. 

My original point had less to do with parents attitudes towards sports (or scouts for that matter), and more to do with the bigger push for competing in sports over participation in scouts. I too have seen very aggressive parents in scouting. 

The question I am really looking for an answer to, is how do we as scouters help facilitate a program that draws the interest of more of today’s youth?

Mike

Adventure.  We have to be brave enough to go on out of the ordinary adventures with the Scouts.  We have to be willing to go into the back country backpacking or canoeing/kayaking.  We have to be willing to climb through the cave.  We have to be willing to set up camp in the monsoon.  

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Since all our soccer players were scouts, we tried similar ideas like this and the answer is yes, they did take charge because to not do so would be to loose. It was very much like sandlot sports. 

Getting an email or call from the principal about how your son was articulate and communicated with eye contact in a meeting with them is priceless.

OK, I'll speak up for sports here. I don't like when we try and pit disciplines against each other. I think the benefits of scouts vs. sports depends in many ways on the parents and what they want for