We use to make sure the PL, SPL & ASPL knew of the homesickness & asked them to make sure the homesick Scout was always included in whatever activity was happening. It seemed that the homesickness was worse during down time. If this happened at summer camp prior to parent's night, I would call the parents and let them know of the situation and asked them to back us up & not take their Scout home with them. Not tooting my own horn, but we never had a homesick Scout go home because of homesickness.

Interesting you should ask. Eighteen months ago at summer camp, we had a real problem with homesickness. This had been my first time with the troop (at summer camp), but the other leaders all said it was different than they had previously experienced. Out of 17 scouts, 3 first year scouts were very homesick. The camp we went to had a great chaplain, and when we could hardly deal with it, he stepped in and really helped. The one thing he said was never let them call home--it only makes it worse. We do not allow cell phones, and there was no reception at the camp, so that was not too much of an issue, but they did want to call from the pay phone at the office. The got over it and we have not had any more trouble.

No problems at this year's summer camp.

We just had a scout transfer in from another troop. A 12 year old Star. He went camping with us for the first time two weeks ago, and he ended up very wet eyed and homesick, coming to the adults once each night. We reassured him, distracted him, and made him laugh; but most of all we reassured him. Not to get on a tangent about this scout, but he has good skills for a 12 yo Star, so I was initially surprised by this. As I though about it though, I realized that his parents were very active with the other troop and this was the first time he had probably camped without them. I spoke to them and have asked that they not camp with us for some time so he can make the adjustment. He is to go to NJ this summer, so I want to see that he is ready.

I agree with evmori, it is worst during the down time, something we did not have at camp this summer, which may be why there were no issues. We would also work with the PLC to see that these scouts are engaged and active. Aside from these cases, we have not had any real issues.(This message has been edited by Buffalo Skipper)

How do we deal with homesickness? In advance.

I always have a talk with the older Scouts and remind them it is their job to help look after the younger guys. The worst time of day is around dusk. Everyone is tired, things are usually winding down and that's the low point of the day for most people. Part of the talk is about recognizing when a kid is starting to circle the bowl. Not participating, moping around the campsite and sitting off by themselves are the primary symptoms. Of course walking past a tent and hearing a kid on his cot bawling his eyes out is a pretty good indication too.

Funny story: A couple years ago when OneCubSon was a the troop guide and directly responsible for the new guys, he walked past a tent and four of them were sitting inside just boo-hooing. He jerked the tent flap open and yelled, "What the hell are you doing?!?" He scared the dickens out of the four who looked at each other then cracked up laughing. I don't think you will find that approach in the BSA literature, but it sure worked!

The "cure" for homesickness is activiy and participation. I tell the older guys to make sure the homesick kids are involved. Let them take over your side of checkers or your hand of cards. Invite them to walk up to the trading post and buy them a coke. (I have a standing offer to reimburse anyone who does so.) In short, be a buddy.