Today was probably one of the best days I have had in scouting. A young man I have known since he was a cub scout made Eagle. He started out lacking self confidence. I had the opportunity to help him along and he grew to a focused young man with dreams and aspirations. I am so proud of him.

Then this evening at our troop meeting we held Board of Reviews for two boys. One boy was made a Life Scout. It is just a matter of time and I have every confidence that he will be an Eagle Scout.

The second scout was being reviewed for Tenderfoot. The board had him state the Scout Oath and LaW as they do every candidate for rank. This scout cracked and forgot everything. He came into our meeting room and began sobbing. Not knowing what happened I asked and he said he knew the Oath and Law but forgot them at the board. He had his handbook so we went over them. Once away from the BOR he calmed down somewhat and said them fine. I asked him if he wanted to go back before the board and he wasn't sure, so I offered that I would go with him. The Board members started him again and he started to freeze, so they offered to let him come back at the next meeting. I stood by and watched as he said that was okay, and then they asked him to practice the Oath and Law for them. The Board had him sit down then and started asking questions that they knew he could answer yes or no to. As they went on and he relaxed & he did fine. At the end of our meeting I announced that we had three new advancements and presented out newest Tenderfoot with our troop neckerchief.

Today I feel that my main focus in scouting has been reaffirmed, that I am here as a SM to do nothing more than to help build self confidence in boys.

Thanks for letting me ramble but I love this stuff!!!!

used to a bobwhite.....

Great really Great!!

This past year or so I have been asked to sit in on most of the District Eagle Scout BOR's (I think this means that I really am an old codger!)

Many of the Scouts are Lads who I have seen grow up in the program.

I seen them back when the were little fellows at Day Camp, at District Camporee, OA Activities.

Along with the Scouts I have seen their parents age. Fathers have a few more gray hairs and that sort of thing.

I really enjoy watching when the Lad comes out and informs his parents of the good news. The look of sheer joy on their faces is a wonderful payment.

Back when OJ became an Eagle Scout I tried to count the number of people who helped him reach his goal.

The Cub Scouter's, the Committee Members, the MB Counselors, the ASM's, the guys who served on camp staff the list went on and on.

When it came time for him to present the mentor pin to a person who he thought played a big part in helping him. I was surprised when he choose an ASM who I didn't know that much about. The truth is that this fellow had been with OJ all the way through his Scouting journey, he had played a big part in OJ's involvement in the OA. He wasn't the guy out front handing out badges and awards, he wasn't known for pushing him or even providing the much needed at times friendly kick in the pants. He was just a nice fellow who had always been there for OJ.

The guy who is just so easy to overlook.

I'm really glad that OJ didn't overlook him.

Eamonn

Thank you SO much for this thread.

My son and hubbie got back yesterday from a weekend scout trip. They were filthy, muddy (it rained) and exhausted. And had a GREAT time! So even though I have a living room full of dirty stinky clothes to wash, and supplies to put away, THIS is also the meaning of scouting. Kids being kids.

My hubbie was saying when he got home that when he was a kid he and the neighbors used to go climb trees and run around, and do stuff like that. Our kids don't have the opportunity to do that a lot because we live in the "burbs". And I never had these opportunities either as a child living in Southern California Suburbs.

I am grateful to scouting to give my son these experiences that not only help him be more self sufficient but allow him to just be a kid and play Star Wars with sticks and not battery powered ones or Wii numchucks.