OMGOODNESS! You don't want to what?

He got a question "wrong" - at a SM conference?

I did not think there were right and wrong questions at a SM conference.

A SM conference is supposed to be - well, a conference, a talk, a discussion, a getting to know you chat. Not a question & answer period where the boy is supposed to "know his stuff".

Great news! He'll do great at his BOR. And there is nothing wrong with being afraid!

Well, if the during the SM Conference the Scout is asked to repeat the Scout Oath & can't then that could be considered wrong. And then again, it could be the Scout's perspective.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

I started a post here on Monday night and ended up going to having to go sit with the baby. My son is going to be 13 next month and has been in the Troop for a little under 2 years. He is still Scout Rank. He has one requirement left for Tenderfoot (show improvement on pull-ups), 2 for Second class, and after this campout 5 for First Class. He has 10 merit badges completed and awarded, 2 completed to be awarded at the next COH, and 2 that he has only 1 or 2 requirements left.

I keep pointing out to my son that all he has to do is show improvement on his pull up, but he has no strength in his arms and I can't convince him to weight lift everyday. We joke that by the time he receives his Tenderfoot rank he will be ready for First Class also. But we place comfort in the fact that he won't have to stress merit badges too much. He works steady on them and is making progress.

I am glad to hear that your son's SM conference went well. Maybe my son will be having one soon.

Good for your son uz2bnowl. My thoughts are that you don't tell him about the "dreaded" BOR at all. Let his PL or SPL fill him in - they'll be able to tell him that it really isn't all that bad and he might even believe them.

By the way I've sat on quite a few tenderfoot BORs in the last two years and they're almost all nervous for about the first 2 minutes. Then they realize they know the answers to the questions already because we're asking them about stuff they've done and (mostly) enjoyed. And when they come back for their 2nd Cl. BOR they're much more at ease.

Kittle, glad to hear from you and hope you and the baby are doing well! It sounds like you and your son have a good perspective on things. Those pull ups are tough for a lot of these guys, I've noticed, compounded by the fact that (at least where we live) there are few places to practice. But maybe you can encourage him to do some push ups too - those also build arm strength without requiring weights. They're so simple, it is harder to say no to them.

Kittle - only has to show improvement in pull-ups?? In our troop, it's the scouts who sign off on the advancements thru First Class and I know that I have heard from many of the scouts that they don't have to improve in ALL areas of the physical requirement. I believe the requirement just says "show improvement" and doesn't specify exactly what that means. I have seen it mean as little as one element showed improvement.

A boy that can't do a pull-up?

I have a boy that fit that same problem. He could not pull himself up at all. After 30 days, he could pull himself up about 1/3 the way to the bar. That was improvement.

Now this life scout is 6' 6" tall, weighs over 250# and is an all-star football player on the high school team, is working on his Eagle project and is one of the nicest kids I've ever met. I'm proud of the fact I have had him in the troop for these past few years. And by the way. He still can't do a pull-up..... :)