Youth Leadership Training

You have been great given me answers about the patrol method so I can present a plan to the SM and troop committee on how to better use it in the Troop.

The other plan I have been asked to put together in on ways to improve the youth leadership training in the troop.

Again I am not looking for ways to implement training but the keys in teaching leadership in the Troop.

Actually, I think I have a good idea of the BSA program for training:

Use the Patrol Method.

Teach the Boys with JLT.

Practice leadership in the weekly Troop meetings

Put leadership to use in the Outdoor activities.

I think I read here on the forum about a youth in Scouting learns leadership by doing and not by sitting down and having someone lecture about it.

I saw where someone broke this as a Scout learns 10% from training and the rest by doing.

I also saw someone challenge these numbers.

Does anyone have the actual breakdown of this?

However, I have the problem that the SM and CC do not like the BSA JLT because it stresses the Patrol Method.

They would like to find a better way to teach leadership.

The feeling I get from the other adult leaders is that they are looking for instant results to teach the boys leadership. They seem to think there is a magic technique where they can sit these boys down and tell them how to be leaders and that instantly it turns these boys into leaders.

I understand that learning leadership takes time. It is not taught overnight and takes time to nurture and cultivate.

So, I am not sure how to approach this and I am looking for suggestions.

CNY - I would add one more element to your training - NYLT (which has replaced JLTC). This is my first day back at work since serving as ASM for an NYLT troop so I don't have time to write much, but this is a premium program for teaching the patrol method by example, learning some scoutcraft along with management stuff at the corporate level and allowing scouts from different troops to mingle and learn from each other.

Vicki

This troop holds a camping weekend each year where the focus is on youth leadership training. Green Bar identifies strengths and weaknesses on a monthly basis, but during this time, this is done again, working with the adults to get advice as the boys draft plans for working on areas of weakness. The troop has not been boy-led for quite 5 years, and this camping trip has been instrumental in helping that happen. However, the troop has patrols, and it is the patrol leaders on an ongoing basis who evaluate the program; then all the youth have an opportunity to take part in the weekend conference. There is training involved, but I don't know how's that accomplished; I am only familiar with one aspect of it and know it's been beneficial as well as fun.

Youth leadership training begins long before JLT and incorporates all other Methods of the Boy Scout program. The problem isn't that the troop leaders want you to find a "better" training method, wwhat they want you to find is a "different" training method because they have not learned and do not use the BSA methods.

Do not be their instrument to stray further from the program. Insist that the BSA methods are the "best" methods and that what is needed is for them to be learned and followed.

I would be happy to help explain the training progression beginning with the patrol method, and using the other scouting methods as well as the actual training string starting with the "Introdiction to Leadership Conference".

Please private message me if you would like more information.

BW

>>The feeling I get from the other adult leaders is that they are looking for instant results to teach the boys leadership. They seem to think there is a magic technique where they can sit these boys down and tell them how to be leaders and that instantly it turns these boys into leaders.