Webelos Patrol crossing over into BoyScouts

I have a group of 5 webelos crossing over into boyscouts that want to stay together as a patrol. So they'll become our troops first NSP. I'm happy with this as SM and the boys are happy with this.

Now I'll interject here that I'm a new SM for this troop, and I've been CM for 5 years. The troop has been in turmoil, and the two ASM's are hoping that with my help we'll be able to turn around the troop and make it function as an actual BSA troop and not just a bunch of boys gathering.

My question is this, next year there will only be 3 webelos crossing over as it stands now. They have their patrol setup, but how do I bring them into the Troop? With only 3 scouts in the patrol, they won't be able to make a NSP. But they are all friendly with the Webelos crossing over this year so I think I'd just integrate them into this year's Patrol. I'd hate to disband their established patrol... would most of you leave it up to the boys? or would you simply apologize to the boys and tell them there aren't enough boys for a full patrol and integrate them into this year's NSP.

any thoughts?

thanks all!

Mike B

You don't say how many boys total you have in your troop beyond he five Webelos. Assuming you have other "regular" (that is, non-NSP patrols) I would suggest that at the end of the first year the NSP be integrated into the other regular patrols. My experience is that trying to keep same-aged patrols together is very difficult. At some point these patrols will be decimated by Scouts serving in troop leadership positions such as Senior Patrol Leader and Troop Guide, and by the normal attrition that occurs over years.

If the troop is committed to running a New Scout program, you need to do what you can to keep the NSP intact, even with three boys. Much will depend on how active these three are. Three solid new Scouts and a good Troop Guide has the makings of a great situation. On the other hand, if one or two of the three are not terribly active or commited to the program, campouts with only one or two guys in a patrol makes it difficult to run a real patrol program.

Why be satisfied with only those 3?

Make nice with other Webelos den leaders in your area. Invite all local Webelos, from all local Packs, to a Troop Webelos evening or event,

Also remember, even if those 3 boys are in a Pack under the same CO as your Troop, it is not automatic that they will cross to your Troop.

Get out there and recruit!

1 piece of advise, don't expect the NSP (or established) Patrol to be sacred for ever.....they can be dissolved, reformed, augmented how ever the Scouts in that Patrol want. Established patrols will need to change to be viable.

I agree, I don't think a Patrol of 3 is viable.....I think the key is to not to push the adult "decision", so let the Scouts see if they can come up with a solution.

I might talk with the 3 Webelos and their parents in February and challenge them. It's a great opportunity for them to identify some friends that were not in Cub Scouts but might enjoy Boy Scouts, and invite them to check it out. Spring of 5th grade is an excellent time to start scouting since it's a whole new ballgame whether the new Scouts were Webelos or not.

Scout On

Eagle732 said: "Our NSP is where new Scouts start. When they make Tenderfoot they can chose another patrol or stay in the NSP which. If they keep enough members in the NSP they eventually becomes a regular patrol."

I've been struggling with how to do things with a new troop (almost 1 year old now). We've discussed it a bit among Scouts and Scout leaders, and haven't come up with much just yet. I really like this idea. I see it as the NSP that really sort of always exists, and when you earn Tenderfoot, you can leave that patrol, while others who join will continue to populate it.

Yes, this is an interesting idea of having scouts who make Tenderfoot cross out of a NSP, into existing patrols. A couple of questions on this.

How do you start the process? When the first scout makes Tenderfoot, does he choose where he wants to go? What if everyone goes to the same patrol? What do you do when you only have 2-3 new Scouts left? What about when there is only 1-2 left? This may do quite a lot to encourage scouts to crossover quick, but if the scout starts to run low on steam, he is stuck without a patrol to back him. I am not against this method, in fact, I really like the intial idea. I just can't envision how it would end well, for those who are slower to get started. Thoughts?

First, this method is something we are in the process of trying so I don't have all the answers. The purpose is to facilitate a smooth transition of new Scouts into the troop which is a big change for these guys coming from Cubs.

Here's the scenario:

8 Webs join in March, they form the NSP. They have a Troop Guide assigned to the patrol who becomes a temporary member and an ASM Advisor. They elect a PL, name the patrol, make a flag, come up with a cheer, etc. They work together on advancement, camp together as a patrol, and they're all friends from Cubs anyway. The end result by the time they finish Tenderfoot (before their first summer camp) is that most want to keep the patrol together. They form what we call "Unit Cohesion". A few leave, I had one case where a Scout just couldn't wait to get away from one of his old Web buddies, some want to join patrols that have older friends in them, but usually they want to stay. It shouldn't take more than 6 months to finish Tenderfoot and by that time they would have finished many 2nd Class requirements too.

Now to answer some of the questions:

Who populates the NSP?

We'll we seem to have a few new stragglers throughout the year so they go to the NSP. And hopefully we get new group of Scouts every year.

How do you start the process?

We started with a large group of new Scouts that came from one pack.

What happens when you only have 2-3 Scouts left?

Same thing we do with other patrols when their numbers get low. The PLC decides to disband the patrol and the remaining members choose another patrol. The PL needs to recruit for his patrol if the numbers start to fade and they don't want to be disbanded.

What happens to Scouts that are left behind (not advancing)?

No one would be left behind, if the members all want to go to other patrols after making Tenderfoot except one or two Scouts then after a reasonable amount of time and some individual advancement encouragement then they would be allowed to move. If a Scout hasn't made Tenderfoot in 6 months there's a larger problem that needs to be addressed.

Next year the process starts all over assuming there are enough (5 minimum) Scouts. Last years NSP is either a regular patrol by now or its members have moved to other patrols.

Hope this answers some of the questions.

Great stuff.

One question, as you're moving forward with this -- could you imagine a situation where a scout would remain in the NSP? For example, let's say you started the NSP in March with 8 Scouts. By June, 5 are Tenderfoot and have moved along. The other 3 just sort of hang around and are having a good time, but just aren't real interested in advancement at all. They like Scouts, just don't appear to care about advancing.

Then fall comes, and 2 of the 3 remaining decide to move along, but the last one just isn't interested. Then in fall round-up, you get another 4 Scouts to join the NSP. Then you've have the one left over. Would you push the last one to join another patrol as Scout rank, or would you let them stay with the NSP and basically start again?

I wonder, because I have one Scout now that loves coming to meetings and doing stuff, but he doesn't really have any interested in advancement at all. I've talked with his parents, and he really likes meetings and doing stuff, but he has zero interest in the advancement part of Scouting.

Our troop gives only this guidance: Patrols need to be at least 6 but no more than 8 boys.

They can determine their groups as they see fit. If 8 boys cross over into a NSP and all want to stay together until they Eagle. So be it. If they cross over and all want to go different routes and the older boys want them in their patrol. So be it. If after 2 meetings the boys can't stand each other, they are free to change. After the Webelos cross over, it usually takes a month for the boys to shake out what works best for them. For a few meetings when they line up for flags, the patrols are all over the place, but eventually it settles down and things run smoothly once more.

Stosh