Patrol Draft / Moving Boys from NSP to Existing Patrols

We eventually matured into a troop where the scouts pretty got to choose where they wanted to go. But that doesnt mean the adults are supposed to stand back and not have an opinion. I can write volumes on the benefits of mixed age patrols over same age patrols based from our experiences. So I'm very motivated to guide the program in a direction that is best for the scouts growth.

As our troop matured, we learned what worked and what doesnt. However, if a NSP came to us and asked to be their own patrol, we would let it happen knowing the struggles they would contend.

The way our troop worked was when the new scouts joined, we told them that after summer camp, they could do anything they wanted. We asked them to watch all the patrols so they could pick the one they wanted. Or they could start their own with our full support. And they could go to any patrol with as many friends as they wanted.

With all those choices, we never one has a NSP that wanted to start their own patrol. And despite all the theories, we found that most boys are happy joining a patrol with just one other friend. We did have a few times when older scouts wanted to start a new patrol and started by recruiting new scouts. But the new scouts never wanted to go on their own. And why would they, they dont cook as well, tell as good stories or jokes and they like hanging around older scouts.

That doesnt mean a NSP doesnt work. Given the right adults, NSPs will do fine.

Barry

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Given the right adults...."????

Doesn't sound like boy-led method to me. Too often we think boy-led works only if the boys do what the adults want them to do. For once I agree with BW. Let the boy's decide and unless it's an issue of safety, adults stay out of it. The only thing I'm interested in when these processes take place is an answer to the question: "What did you decide?"

Remember, coaches don't play the game.

Stosh

Gee, there ya go messin' it up.

A troop can be boy led yet not patrol-method and it can be patrol-method and yet adult led.

Too often there is not a distinction drawn in this area very well and unless the boys are running autonomous patrols and everyone else (including interfering other boys)keep out of the process, it's really not a truly boy-led, patrol-method program.

Stosh