Troop Guides: Goals and Objectives

Hi! I'm an ASM in charge of a New-Scout Patrol. Recently, the SM asked if we could take on a second Troop Guide - a Life Scout that needs a Scoutmaster-assigned leadership project (instead of the 6 month position..) Since this is a unique project, I need to set goals and objectives for his project. Besides the obvious advancement goal, I need to come up with other meaningful measures. I have some ideas, but I was wondering if anybody else at this campfire had a similar experience they could share. I'm looking for ideas on measuring leadership development as well as advancement. Outputs as they relate to outcomes - that's helpful stuff too. Thanks in advance!

Measure him on him, not others. He could be the greatest troop guide to walk the face of the Earth and not have a single boy in the NSP with the gumption to advance. That isn't his fault. When I was developing my Wood Badge ticket items, I tried doing the same thing. I was going to present the frontcountry Leave no Trace to our cubs and follow up with the Den Leaders to make sure the boys earned the patch. My WB Troop Guide discouraged me on the second half. Her point was if I put a quantity on something I had no control over and it didn't happen, my ticket "failed". She was right. While we had a great group of Den Leaders, they were doing their own thing in their dens and my plans didn't really fall into what they were doing. On top of that, I had no control over whether the boys would do the work. What if I said I was going to have 70% of the boys earn the patch and only 65% did? I did the presentation and completed my ticket. I provided the den leaders with the information and ability for them to follow up and help the boys earn the patch if they so desired. The measurement of my ticket was for what I could control, not what I couldn't. Measure the boy on the job he does, not on what the boys under him do. Does he know his stuff? Is he organized? Does he work well with them, teach them and provide leadership? Don't measure him on their response.

Assist in planning and leading a minimum of 2 Troop meetings each month for the New Scout patrol based on advancement needs for Tenderfoot to First Class ranks.

Camp, cook, and eat, with the new Scout patrols for the first 5 campouts of their first year.

Attend A PLC each month with the temporary New Scout Patrol Leader and help guide him in his repesentation of the patrol.

Set the example of the characteristics of the scout Oath and Law in all dealings with the New Scouts.

Be prepared to teach any of the basic scouting skills required for Tenderfoot to First Class.

Assist each New Scout Patrol Leader in learning the basics of the 4 styles of leadership used in scouting.

Hope this helps.

BW

From the fact that the Scout is doing a service project instead of a 6 mo POR, I would venture that this boy does not have 6 months left. If he followed Bob White's outline he would be Troop Guide for about 5 months at least & this might be to long of a timetable.

I am a bit confused about the leadership project the SM is assigning this Scout. Is it just to be a Troop Guide, but not for 6 months? Is he supposed to be accomplishing something specific and/or original with the New Scouts? If you could give us some idea of just what the project entails it might help. Or, is the problem that the SM dumped this Scout on you & said "here's a Troop Guide, give him a project to do"?

How about giving the Guide the responsibility for organizating ways of meeting some specific advancement requirements for the boys in the patrol?

For example, organize taking the physical fitness tests for Tenderfoot. Taking the Patrol swimming and testing the boys on Second and First Class swimming requirements. Teaching and testing on some specific first aid requirements.

Seattle Pioneer

Good question. I checked the roster. The Scout in question is a Star Scout - my misunderstanding, but it explains the "SM assigned leadership project." Why the hurry? It could have something to do with the fact that he turns 18 next April (hmmm.)

I liked BW's suggestions. For such a short timeframe, using action outputs that theoretically link to the outcomes that he can't control would be the fairer course to take. I also like the idea of letting him organize the advancement activities, but with some oversight on my part. I wouldn't want the "guinea pigs" to experience advancement setbacks because of a poorly designed or implemented activity plan.

Beaver had a good point too. I wouldn't want to attempt a ticket item that relied too much on the initiative of others. Yes, it is discouraged by our ticket counselors. So I will de-link the new Scout's performance from the TG's effort.

BTW, I already had a TG that I was coaching - and he's been doing a lot better job. I just hadn't been measuring his activity level. Our Troop hadn't had success with Troop Guides, but I think the lack of success was a function of the ASM not setting expectations and not coaching the TG.

I continue to welcome your feedback over the next week - our TG's are at Double H this week which gives me a little time to refine objectives and measures.