Family campout issue

We usually have a good turnout of dads on our campouts but our troop has never had a "family" campout, i.e. moms and younger siblings included. I know this has been a sore spot with some moms, so I suggested to our troop committee that we hold a family day hike. They not only liked the idea, but it quickly turned into suggestions for a weekend family campout. Problem is when I told our PLC, my SPL and ASPL's hit the roof. "We don't want mom's along on our camping trips" was the general consensus. So I realize that I should have run the idea by the PLC first, but also, should the troop follow the wishes of the scouts or of the parents committee in this case?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What did the Parol Leaders say? The other member's of the PLC? Why dont they want Mom's along?

I am so torn, the boy run troop theory is the boys decide, I wanna tell them to shut up and let the mom's come along once a year, but that would be directive leadership and this is not the place for it, right Ed?

It does show why events need to come from the PLC up, to pervent these situations, I cant wait to see some reactions.

OGE,

You are one funny bird! Ha Ha!

Yes this should have been run past the PLC 1st and if they don't want family campouts then don't have them. One might suggest that once maybe every 6 months, a family camping trip be scheduled but if the PLC says no then the committee should respect the PLC.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Why would you have to have a family campout for any parent to come to a campout? Any parent should be informed that they could come along to any event they wish.

The PLC cannot decide what adults come to a campout. Why not tell all parents that they are welcome to come to any campout at anytime?

What kind of scout skills would be worked on at a family campout? Set up correctly a "family campout" could work, but it should be setup that the scouts still use the patrol method.

Pardon me if I can not give an unbiased opinion on this one. While I respect the concept of "boy run", I would see this as an opportunity for the Scoutmaster to provide a little guidance regarding the concept of "gratitude". Every boy in Scouting is there because of the support they receive from their families. Mom's are a big part of those families. If an SPL can't agree to welcome famiies on ONE trip, it sounds to me like someone needs to learn a little gratitude. One trip, or day hike dedicated to the families that support the troop and make their monthly camping trips, week long summer camp and other activities possible sounds like a nice way to say thanks, to me.

Mom's help and presence are OK if a fundraiser is involved, but she can't come camping? I understand a need for "male bonding". I recently went on a camping trip with my son (first one) and he was happy to have me there. I was unaware of anyone being uncomfortable that I was there. And let me tell you, it was an educational weekend. They did not censor anything they said or did (boy do they smell bad!) because I was there. It was good for me to go and see how they behave and act on a trip. I was impressed with how they worked together and looked out for each other (we have a lot of younger Scouts). The buddy system is alive and well in our troop.

Back to the subject, I don't feel one weekend a year is an infringement on their personal space. How about a Mother's Day weekend campout where all the Moms get waited on hand and foot? Sounds good to me! LOL

I have been thinking about this, what if a scout tranfers to the troop, from out of state, just moved to the area. He registers with the troop, and introduces his mother, Course Director for Woodbadge for the 21rst Century, Silver Beaver recipient, and a through hiker on the Appalachian Trail. Would the boys still consider her just a mom?

Ok, an extreme case, but if a woman registers to be a leader, is trained, she cant come on the trip?

Just a Mom who reads there are no closed organizations in Boy Scouts and wants to do the white water trip cuz it just might be fun?

Fun times, where do these boys get such outdated notions, looking squarely at certain forum members and you know who you are

Next weekend is our Troop's 13th Annual Family Campout, and it is one of the highlights of our year. We get a great turnout of not only moms and dads, but also siblings who normally are not allowed to attend regular campouts. We have found this to be a good recruiting tool for adult leaders. The newer mom or dad may say, "Hey this camping stuff ain;t too bad!" Of course we showcase our meals that weekend, bringing out our best menus. We go to a campground where there is a lot to do - biking, swimming, canoeing, paddleboats, applepicking nearby, even some antique shops nearby for some of the moms. Some years We coordinated our Family Campout with a county fair in the area and spent Saturday at the fair.

Sometimes I think the adults have to step in and say, YES WE ARE DOING THIS! for the good of the troop.

One more thing - this activity has gotten so popular we even get families who no longer have scout age boys coming along with us just because it is such a great time. We also invite our associated Cubmaster and Webeloes leaders to join us as a recruiting tool.

Moms on outing!! What a thought! When I was a scoutmaster we had females as Assistant Scoutmasters. I remember one hike that would not have happened without a mom because she was the only other adult able to go. She is a little thing and showed me up so bad. It may have something to do with the fact she was in great shape, a former member of the Joffrey and founding member the Pacific Northwest Ballet. She just bounced up the trail, a 5 miler with a 1500+ elevation gain. Another mom ran a fifty miler the year our troop had two. She was before she was married a member of Alaska State Police - Game Wardens division.

I find that scouts may have more difficulty with siblings coming along. Scouting can be their thing and they have enough of older sis and little bro at home.

"Every boy in Scouting is there because of the support they receive from their families."

While this is a nice statement, it isn't always true. There are parents & guardians that think BSA stands for Baby Sitters of America! They drop their kids off & pick them up and that's it! No support & no help!

While I think family camping is ok, I don't feel it should be a monthly event. If it is, what's the difference between Cub & Boy Scouts? Eagle90 posted they have this as an annual event. That's great. Even semi-annual is good. But monthly? Nope.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

• 3 weeks later...

that comment would have NEVER come up in our troop.

most of you know me well enough by now to know that i am a VERY involved and active Scouting mom.

But then, my son would not have CHOOSEN a troop that wanted to exclude me or other women. and despite my close relationship and understandable influence on my son - it was HIS choice. If he had choosen a more exclusively male troop, I would have gotten involved in something else, I guess. But he enjoys my company and that of other adults - male, female older, younger - he's been raised participating in activities with a large variety of adults and families - so he expects that.

Personally, I see that as a lack in those all male troops - To me, it's kind of like putting blinders on the kids - cutting off the resources and experiences moms could bring to the troop - but that is THEIR choice to limit themselves that way.

If you have a truly boy run troop - it would be wrong, if not difficult, to say 'hey, we're GOING to have a family campout with moms & sibs' you would certainly be better served to 'sell' the idea to the boys and PLC. Kids can get just as obstinate and entrenched in traditions than adults - sometimes more so - and many really don't like change. Especially if the SPL and ASPL have been camping for years WITHOUT moms. It may have been a knee-jerk reaction to the idea and it's delivery as an almost accomplished plan.

You might get a better reception to suggest it as a new activity for the younger patrols - Give them a chance to show Mom, Dad and younger siblings what they've learned. And the younger boys aren't so entrenched in the 'no mom's idea.

if they want to do mostly male exclusive outings, thats fine - but to include families a few times a year is a GOOD thing, and should be encouraged.