Boy Scout Statue in Washington, DC

I've been to the statue in President's Park a couple of times and even remember when they were raising money for it. I admit I never really got the symbolism of the statue and it seems there must have been a better way to portray the meaning of Scouting. However, in light of our recent problems with publicity over the "perversion files," it seems particularly inappropriate. I'm surprised the press hasn't picked up on it.

An old Scouting friend recently brought up the subject.

In case you don't recall what the statue looks like, check Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boy_Scout_Memorial ,

Yeah, I'm with TT on this. When I first heard about it, I was curious and expected some sentimental, perhaps sanctimonious piece of sculpture. But when I finally saw it for the first time I went into knee-slapping guffaws. I have to give someone, I don't know who, a lot of credit...what a great joke! If we melted that thing down, how big of a bell could we make, I wonder?

When I first saw the statue, I thought the sculptor (Donald De Lue) had two left-over Greek statues in his shop that he could not sell. Then this Scout memorial project comes along, hmmm create an out of proportion scout and add a cock n bull symbolism story to sell and attach the two Greeks.

Calling Norman Rockwell.

My $0.02

Gotta remember that DC was designed to be Neo-Clasical, hence the key buildings look like Roman and Greek structures, as well as the monuments. It's only been recenly that they started going away with the neo-classical look.

Some of his other work, including the Rocket Thrower for the Worlds Fair (I had to look that up) are pretty cool in that monumental federalist kinda style but the Boy Scout Memorial is just kinda missing the mark. Not his best work. Maybe it was design by (BSA) committee.

I think the Boy Scout statue in Philadelphia is better.

If it was so well known it would be famous by being so bad.

Maybe we should just raise money to build a obscuring rotunda around it.

It is a good location. Location, location, location.

Actually, I kind of like the juxtaposition. Maybe that's the venturing kool-aid coursing through my veins.

It reminds me that scouting is very much about defining life for a youth in terms that will become part of his/her essential character.

It makes me think that many of the boys who attended the first jamboree were probably great men by the time the statue was unveiled.

(Plus it was the sixties, so one or two of those men may very well have been roaming a commune dressed like that!)

Yeah, we locals never see the sights unless a tourist friend comes to visit...

""Representing American Manhood and Womanhood, a classical figure is on either side of the central figure of a Boy Scout in uniform as he hikes into the future. The Boy Scout and allegorical figures are sculpted in bronze and stand on a granite base.

Long Physical Description:

Inscribed on the plaza to the west of the sculptural group is the following description of the sculpture:

"THE TWO SYMBOLICAL FIGURES REPRESENT THE SUM OF THE GREAT IDEALS OF / PAST CIVILIZTIONS, DEVELOPED THROUGH THE CENTURIES AND NOW AT BEST/ AS DELIVERED BY AMERICAN MANHOOD AND WOMANHOOD TO THE PRESENT / GENERATION." The structure is part of a group containing a pool and benches, recorded separately on the LCS.

"THE BOY SCOUT, AWARE OF HIS FELLOWSHIP WITH SCOUTS AROUND / THE WORLD, AND SYMBOLIC OF ALL CUB SCOUTS, BOY SCOUTS, AND EXPLORERS / STRIDING INTO THE FUTURE, REPRESENTS THEIR HOPE THAT ALL THAT IS FINE / IN OUR NATIONS PAST WILL CONTINUE TO LIVE IN FUTURE GENERATIONS. / THE MALE FIGURE SYMBOLIZES LOVE OF COUNTRY, CITIZENSHIP, / PATRIOTISM, LOYALTY, HONOR, INTEGRITY, COURAGE, CLEAN LIVING, AND PHYSICAL DEVELOPMENT.

"THE FEMALE FIGURE SYMBOLIZES THE SPIRITUAL QUALITIES OF GOOD / CITIZENSHIP: ENLIGHTENMENT WITH THE LIGHT OF FAITH, LOVE OF GOD, HIGH IDEALS, LIBERTY, FREEDOM, DEMOCRACY, LOVE OF HUMANITY, / LIGHTING THE WAY."

http://www.hscl.cr.nps.gov/insidenps/report.asp?STATE=DC&PARK=WHHO&STRUCTURE=&SORT=3&RECORDNO=2

SSS ya know a good rule of thumb is if there is a long explanation on the base the statue has failed to make its' point.

Really looks like a scout supported by his mom and dad who just jumped put of bed because he came home early from his scout trip. Maybe they are pushing out of the bedroom door so they can put some more clothes on.

Maybe the people back in the 50's and 60's had a better education on classical symbolism so they were better prepared to understand what the symbolism of the work means, then us more modern folks.

The only way this is going to get any news time is if some "concerned citizen" (aka "local nutcase without anything better to do with his/her time") makes an issue out of it, that the local politicians will react (stupidly) to because politicians are, for the most part, weasely people without the character to call a nutcase a nutcase.