You folks familiar with church mice? Anonymous folks from a church who "adopt" college kids and send them cards and little things from home?

For the first time, our troop has about five guys who have gone off to college this week. Thought it would be nice if the troop sent them a little care package in a week or two.

Any idea what to sent? Thinking of "scouty" stuff, like jerky or a bag of trail mix. But nothing to overt, like the phone number of the local Scout College Reserve group.

Ideas?

I have one son who just went to college. At the moment he says snacks would make a great gift. In a month or two he may have some additional ideas, but I definitely like the idea of jerky and trail mix from the troop.

How about gift cards for iTunes, fast food, gas or groceries? Microwave popcorn. Toiletries like toothpaste, shaving cream, deodorant. Socks. Something unique to your area that he can't get where he is.

A friend recently sent me a box of chocolate covered macadamia nuts from Hawaii. While I appreciated the thought, he paid more for postage than what the nuts cost...and I could have bought the same thing at my local Costco. A Scout is Thrifty.

Recipes and ingredients for the troop/patrol's favorite one-pot (microwaveable?) meal.

Addresses and phone numbers for the local outdoor store closest to their college.

A copy of a favorite outdoors book - Colin Fletcher, etc.

As promised, I asked the class. It was nearly unanimous. SEND STUFF. They didn't seem to care who it was from or what kinds of snacks were included, although some of them had specific items, usually specific kinds of candy. I won't go into detail.

Only one student objected. He thought it sounded creepy. I asked him if he'd share why he felt that way and he declined. And I respected his decision.