Proper respect for the flag

"By the way folks, the U.S. Flag Code is a federal law. Because there are no legal penalties does not mean one may ignore the law."

My son wrote a letter to his senator pointing out that some government buildings in Washington D.C. flew the flag all night long with no lighting, and asked why that was so and suggested that the flag code be followed. The response from the honorable senator was "There is no penalty for violating the flag code."

My son has been cynically anti-government ever since.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As I commented before, the issue here is not to please me, but to adhere to the principles of the US Flag Code. I'm not being judgmental, just pointing out what the Code states as respectfully proper.

As one can tell from FScouter's son's reaction, if we do not teach properly, then unwanted circumstances can and often do result.

If one has a tattered flag, it is better to display none than to think that displaying a worn flag is better than none. Personally I do like the idea of not flying a ragged flag as more respectful than putting up one that does not look good.

Most officers of the law do not pull over people for speeding 1 to 5 mph over the speed limit. Just because the law is not properly enforced does not mean it is acceptable to speed. The safety of the people in the car are just as important. Just because one does not get a speeding ticket doesn't mean that death and/or injury inflicted in an accident while speeding is okay because the law wasn't enforced.

Just because there are no penalties enforced does not mean it is okay to ignore the prescribed laws.

We are supposed to be a tolerant people. However, that doesn't translate into a lot of different areas of our lives. That in itself quite disconcerting.

The bending of the rules might be as simple as showing respect for our Flag and as complicated as endangering people in traffic. Some battles are more important than others. One has to pick which are more important than others. If someone doesn't take their hat off when the Star Spangled Banner is being played, it shows either ignorance or indifference. That's their problem/choice, not mine. As a citizen of a free nation, I am accountable only for my own actions. Everyone else can make up their own minds.

Stosh

> Just because the law is not properly enforced does not mean it is acceptable to speed.

Again, that is exactly what it means.

You might not like it, but it is accepted and therefore acceptable.

Let's not conflate preferences and emotions with facts. The sign at Home Depot says "Exit." When you walk toward those doors from the outside, they open. When you walk into the store, the employees still smile and greet you. The exit signs are not enforced. Therefore, it is acceptable to walk in. It is just a suggestion that you use those doors for an exit and the others for an entrance. The reality is, you can do whatever you want because there are no consequences.

"But perhaps you will be pleased--- six months or so ago I removed the flag that had become tattered in that service, and I haven't replaced it ---- yet, anyway.

Does that make you happy? I ask that as a serious question, since the alternative would be flying a replacement flag 24/7."

Okay, I'll give it a try, and I so so seriously.

You took down a tattered flag and haven't replaced it yet. (Not a question, just a statement of fact.)

"Does that make you happy?" If I were in your neighborhood, it would please me that I wouldn't have to look at a tattered flag, so in that respect I would think taking it down a good idea. But as I said, making me happy shouldn't be the reason for displaying or not displaying the flag.

You haven't replaced it yet. Maybe you need to order one, or you haven't had time yet to go buy one, I can understand the delay in getting a new one up there.

The tag line of logic at the end is confusing to me: "since the alternative would be flying a replacement flag 24/7." I guess I don't understand why a replacement flag would have to be flown 24/7. One could if it were lit and an all-weather flag. If I were looking for a replacement, that's the kind I would purchase.

I have a flag that flies on a short staff next to my front door. I put it up in the morning on the way to work and take it down, when it gets dark. I just don't want to leave my front door light on all night and it doesn't properly light the flag anyway. It's a nylon flag so if it rains while I'm at work, no big deal.

As a scout leader, I try and make every effort to teach the US Flag Code correctly in the hopes that it inspires the scouts do display it in a respectful way. If they don't, that's their choice.

I hope this answers your question.

Stosh