Getting new ASMs engaged and keeping them involved

Our current new scout patrol has 3 adult leaders that have crossed over into our troop. One of them, the Den Leader has an older son already in the troop - he gets the program and has bought in.

The other two leaders do not have experience with scouting as boys. What sorts of things do you guys 'assign' to new adult leaders to keep them involved and not drop from adult leadership?

We really don't want to involve them with the new scout patrol to avoid Webelos III - we've had that happen in the past (not by choice but by lack of volunteers). Now we don't NEED that to happen but we can't really throw these guys at the older scouts can we?

We are thinking getting them involved with QM duties or something like that.

Any advice is appreciated.

I suggest not treating these adults as unskilled employees and refrain from "assigning them roles".

#1 - ask what they would be interested in? Go from There.

#2 - if the CC (in charge of securing leadership) transferred them from the Pack as new ASM's then heavily stress training for that position if they wish to continue as an ASM. This would be Outdoor Skills and SM Specific at a minimum... but there's a host of other useful training like Weather, Climb On/Trek Safely, Safety Afloat, Swim Defense, etc...

#3 - encourage them to find an area where the Troop can benefit from an extra adult, or to get training that would benefit the Troop, Red Cross 1st Aid/Wilderness 1st Aid, YMCA/BSA Lifeguard, Paddle Craft Safety, CPR certification....

#4 - You can encourage signing up as Merit Badge councilors, but that's a district role, and not under the Troop control (we encourage primary registration as a Merit Badge Councilor... no cost to the Troop, no hit on training so they can get trained for a needed Troop position).

#5 - don't assign them to a job a youth should be doing like QM....

(This message has been edited by dg98adams)

#5 - don't assign them to a job a youth should be doing like QM....

Agree in general. But if you have a QM with ADD or OCD, and an adult with some skills in logistics. The pairing might help transfer some skills the boy may need to manage his job and overcome other difficulties in life.

Most boys don't know how to train a sales force, so if you have a new adult who is good at that maybe he can assist your popcorn kernel.

Likewise, your boys may know how to treat for shock, but never having seen someone in it, can't play a victim very well. A medical professional may be able to act out that part for the boys in a first aid challenge, or coach the boy acting victim so everyone can "keep it real."

Your chaplain's aid may be available to run a service, but may need a chaplain to help choose the material.

In other words, you want ASMs in positions that complement -- not replace the boys.

bear dad internal merit badge councilors are a bad idea.....and from internal merit badge councilors it is a short trip to an advancement only driven program.

I have not had the luxury of excess adults at a troop meeting..... The few parents that come to the meeting hang out in the lounge and drink coffee and leave the scouting to the SM and CC. CC sits at the back of the room and signs off advancements as the boys approach him....the SM and other ASM help the boys with the program as asked.....

My thoughts, and please don't take it as being mean.

1) get them trained in their new roles as there is a big difference between CS and BS, and the adults have the hardest time adjusting IMHO.

2) Get them an experienced leader to be a mentor to them and remind them of their new role when they start to interfere.

3) KEEP THEM AWAY FROM THE SCOUTS ECEPT IN AN EMERGENCY.

40 Find things for them to do, i.e. help the adults set up camp, do cooking, etc.

" We really don't want to involve them with the new scout patrol to avoid Webelos III - we've had that happen in the past (not by choice but by lack of volunteers). "

I've heard of SM's who stole money from their troops in the past...so does that mean that the SM of the troop my son is fixing to join will steal money too?

Seriously! Somebody at one time did something back when - so you think everybody will do that from now on?

Our sister troop asked me to be an ASM before they even asked if my son was going to be a boy scout and before they asked - if my son was going to be a boy scout - if he would be joining thier troop.

Why? Well, from what they said..they really like how I turned the pack around in many ways, how the parents, the leadership, and the scouts ( both cub and boy) act towards me.

Do they ask all parents if they are going to be an ASM? From what I have gathered so far...NO!

I'm guessing they do not judge everybody based on what somebody did in the past..but as individuals.

It may turn out that Den Leader dad will be stuck in his den leader role while the other two may start fresh without any previous biases and set ways.

There have been a few troop leaders who quit or became alot less active when they found out "That's not how we used to do it when I was a scout" didn't give them card blanche.

Just saying, don't judge me based on what somebody else did in the past and I won't judge you the same way.

scoutfish.....moving your analogy from where it started to where it is more accurate.......

there are 10 troops in town....7 of the SM's steal money.......

Most of the parents who were leaders in CS really struggle with, well, the boys struggling.

The next batch of crossovers into the troop will have 4 cub leaders kids in it.....I am interested to see how this works out.....I got a year to think about it and talk to them about it.

Let's see how much I shake things up in the next few weeks!

I am going to accept that offer to be an ASM, and come June 1st, I will step down as CM of my pack - to take on the position of ACM.

The l;eaders, committee, and parents of my pack really enjoy what I have done and how I fought to get a dull program changed around and more exciting. They do not want me to leave.

And the troop my son is crossing over too also have seen the energy and fresh ideas ( thinking outside the "same ole routine" box).

I will step down as District Cub Scout camp promotor, and in the process step down from my district committee position. Don't want to overdo it!

But I am going to be on both sides of the scouting fence at the same time by being a leader in both the troop and pack.

I know that you did this Basement....how did members of the troop or pack regard you?

A good position for one of these new ASMs would be as Troop liason with the Webelos Den Leader at the 'ol pack.

The ASM can take pains to invite the Webelos Den to suitable Troop meetings and activities, see to it that Boy Scouts volunteer to help as Den Chief or more casual volunteers as needed and so on.

Not gonna lie to ya Fish. CM to ASM is not always an easy transition. Our last three who crossed over opted for committe member or commissioner. (Either directly or after trying out ASM.) Putting up with all of the youth-led set-ups is a challenge. But each of those guys added to the life of their troop. So no regrets. And on the outside chance that one of them was ASM material over the long haul, it aw worth giving them a chance.

Dive in. Be yourself. Adapt. I'm sure you'll do a fine job.

My wife is the one who will has an isue with it. She got mad at me when she asked me if my son and I would still share a tent and I told her no.

Well, maybe she was mad because I had a huge smile on my face when I said no.

She also got apprehensive when she asked me if I would be the one teaching him stuff and I said no.

Or it could be because I said I'd be sitting in a chair chilling out or cooking something in my DO. I love to cook by the way.

I think one of the reasons that I was aksed to be an ASM is because I beleive in learning by mistakes.

I will let a scout make a mistake in a heart beat - as long as real harm isn't going to happen.

I know most people will learn more from a 1 minute mistake than they will from 5 days of lectures.

Again, as long as somebody won't be really harmed or injured...I'll let them make a mistake.

The SM thinks that I'm going to be an asset.

I also usually get up before everybody else while camping and get the fire going and coffee too...so they may have alterior motives for asking me to be there? :)

Scoutfish....my situation is very different from yours......I will lose the title, but they will still see me every week, I will be in the basement with the troop instead of up stairs with the cubs.

The reason for my departure is different as well....the current SM has turned in his retirement notice.....With no other Adult in the troop physically able to take the boys camping, remember we are a troop with single parent households and grandparents......I am actively recruiting another ASM to go camping with me.....

Far as regarded, I am figure head dad to more than one of the boys....The only man that cared anything about them..... I have 4 boys who bring their grade cards and graded papers in to show me and share their success and the weeks they don't I make sure to ask them if they had a bad week at school. I have taken all a number of families to the dairy queen to celebrate good grades and citizen of the month as the occasion warrants........

The parents and scouts don't know....we are going to do a changing of the guard ceremony at the may pack meeting....when the boys get their new neckers and books.....I will pin the CM patch on the new CM and remove mine......