Scout rank patrol board

I am in ASM in my sons Troop. We have grown since he joined several years ago.

There has been some side-bar discussions of some kind of board that lists the Patrols, and the individual scouts/rank to hang in the Church where they meet. No wall space for "Patrol Corners", but I think we can get some Troop wall space.

I grabbed some 3/8th" thick x 4" wide slats and whipped up example simple rank-scout stickers for the next PLC/Leaders meeting to show them the idea.

I was thinking of a 1'x 2' board that lists the CC/SM/ASM-JASM-SPL/ASPL names, then the 5 patrol names/logo with each patrol hanging down from this board, where each scout in the patrol hangs from the starting PL/APL position.

We have about 45+ scouts. I figure I can squeeze the Scout Rank, name, OA status, POR on a 2x4 sticker. When a Scouts Rank/POR changes a portion of the sticker can be placed right on top of the old.

If I make up enough "rank/POR" stickers, and setup the "blank" template for new scouts it would be easy to maintain... maybe by the scribe or historian.

Anyone got any other examples?

If I get the SM to buy off on the idea I plan to mentor a Scout or two on the project.

(This message has been edited by dg98adams)

One I saw is prettt cool IMHO. Only thing permanent on the wall is the patrol name and logo. On that sign is two loops on the bottom. Each scout when they join the troop gets a name board with enough space for sticker with ranks on them. I want to say the stickers are actual size of the ranks. On top of each name board is two hooks, and underneath are two loops. Only the first name and last intial are used if memory serves.

As each scout moves from patrol to patrol, the name board gets moved. And as they earn rank, a sticker with the bade goes on the board.

Good idea if the boys are willing to buy-in. I can think of lots of practical uses. The boys grab their totem and present it before pulling out for camp. They can be used for make-shift rosters. The life guard in me likes the notion of pre-built buddy tags for when you go swimming or boating. (When canoeing, I literally put tags in buddy pairs on a stringer in my kayak. I make the boys fashion them out of tongue depressors and permanent marker. It would be nice to have those tags pre-made.)

We do something similar. I buy 1/4" x 2" x 4' oak boards at Lowes and cut them into plaques about 8" long. I have a local engraver who has a laser engraver and burns the boys' names into the plaques. With me doing all the woodwork, he only charges $2 a piece for the engraving. Sweet deal.

We use adhesive Velcro strips on the back to attach the plaques to the wall. We've tried small hook-and-eye screws in the past, but the alignment of those gets to be a hassel, especially with different people making the plaques over the years. The Velcro doesn't look as neat, but is much easier.

I put it to the Leaders meeting, and got a "do it".

Gonna take materials to the next couple Scout meetings.

I will likely attract a couple of the older Scouts when I drag out a miter box/saw to cut "Scout Planks".

As for what's gonna go on the "Scout plank", just a Rank sticker, First name & last Name Initial, and the current POR.

STAR - Keith A.

.......PL

The plan is to hand the "Scout planks" by Patrol, by rank under the PL/APL. if rank becomes an issue we can use alphabetical under the PL/APL. At COH or when a Scout makes Rank or takes a POR they will put their own sticker up.

I'd like to get each Patrol to take their Patrol symbol design from the Patrol Flag and recreate it on a "Patrol Header plank" (4" x 4") using paint markers I'll provide.

The back of the main board will have a piece of acrylic hinged, so when they take it camping (along with "Scout Planks" going), it protects the duty roster/contact info.

I may end up putting Scout names on with a paint marker, stain & clearing the plank, then using stickers for Rank/POR to make updating it easy. Updating it should be an ASPL directed task.

I'll post pictures when it's done.(This message has been edited by dg98adams)

I've seen something similar in the past.

At one point, the scout shop sold small stickers for each rank; they might have been intended for scrap books.

On the example that I recall, the top most piece for each patrol was a wooden copy of their patrol emblem, and the name plates are hooked on below. The patrol could also carry their emblem and names and hang them in camp like names on a mailbox.

When/if the boy leaves the Troop, give him his plank.

Lots of good use for velcro© here. Name, Scout rank (sticker), miniature shoulder patch picture. When he leaves/graduates from Troop, give him his plank with the rank and PoR attached. Laminated cardboard picture of PoR, velcro to fuzzy board for arranging, maybe plexi over it to avoid idle hands from becoming devil's playthings?

Good P/R at CO, too.

I wouldn't put POR on the plank b/c they change so fast. I would have a designated position for the PL and APL kinda like this:

--------------------------

! PATROL NAME AND TOTEM !

! !

% %

!PL's Name and Ranks (1st)!

% %

! MEMBER's info !

% %

!APL's Info (last) !

Gathered up the wood planks to cut at the Troop meeting tonight.

Son and I stained them last night.

Couple packs of small eye-screws to use as "Hooks and "loops".

a 2' x 1' piece of plywood going to be the base board for the Troop SM/ASMs/SPL/ASPL/CC/JASM and each patrols totem symbol along the bottom. - combo of Avery label, sticker & paint marker.

On each 2" x 4" plank that will hang beneath the Patrol Totem symbol....

---Rank symbol (1"x1" Avery label) - FIRST NAME & LAST Initial

-------------------------- POR (1/2" Avery label )------------

If I can motivate any Patrol to earn Honor Patrol, we can add a Star to the Patrol Totem.

I'll post pics when they boys manage to get everything cut & stickered up.

I like the idea of giving up the plank as part of the scout either aging up, getting eagle, or transferring.