New Pilot Program-BSA STEM, NOVA Award

So I got a packet today from the council office describing a new program the council wants to roll out encouraging youth to take an active interest in the fields of Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics. Being a STEM guy myself, I'm excited about this program and look forward to bringing it to my unit. Here's the letter and the requirements for the NOVA award.

The Boy Scouts of America and ExxonMobil Corporation have joined together to initiate a program that encourages active interest by youth in the fields of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM). The BSA STEM initiative is designed to bring a Scouting focus to skills that are relevant and needed in our competitive world and will provide opportunities for youth at all levels of Scouting to develop an enhanced interest in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics and recognize youth STEM achievement.

Since this is in the testing phase, changes will be made to the program as we find what works and what does not. However, once a Scout begins work on an award, he will work under those requirements regardless of any subsequent changes.

This is an exciting program and provides great opportunities for Scouts to enhance their knowledge in these important areas, have fun doing it, and being recognized for their accomplishments. It is not necessary that all members of your unit participate.

AWARDS:

Current topics available for the Cub Scout NOVA award

SCIENCE EVERYWHERE (Science)

TECH TALK (Technology)

SWING! (Motion-Engineering)

DESIGNED TO CRUNCH (Mathematics

Current Topics available for the Boy Scout and Venturing NOVA award

SHOOT! Projectiles and Space (Science)

START YOUR ENGINES (Transportation Technology)

WHOOSH! (Motion-Engineering)

DESIGNED TO CRUNCH (Mathematics)

The NOVA award will be a distinctive pocket patch with a separate pin on device awarded for each individual topic completed by the youth. If a youth completes a significant number (to be determined) of the available STEM topics, than he/she will be presented with a Certificate and Bronze Medal on neck ribbon.

STEM-SUPERNOVA Award: The SUPERNOVA Award program is similar to the BSA Hornaday Award Program. The basic requirements are to earn certain Academic Pins( Cub Scouts), Activity Badges (Webelos) and Merit Badges (Boy Scouts) plus complete various other more rigorous STEM related requirements. The Venturing requirements are based on more independent achievements and teaching activities. SUPERNOVA is designed to encourage and recognize more in depth achievement in STEM. The awards are medals on Neck Ribbons plus a square knot for uniform wear.

Cub Scout

Cub Scout Dr.Luis Walter Alvarez Award Certificate and Bronze Medal on neck Ribbon

Webelos Dr. Charles H Townes Award Certificate and Bronze Medal on neck Ribbon

Boy Scout

Basic Dr. Bernard M. Harris Award Certificate and Bronze Medal on neck Ribbon

Intermediate Thomas Edison Award Certificate and Silver Medal on neck Ribbon

Advanced Albert Einstein Award Certificate and Gold Medal on neck Ribbon

Venturing Sally Ride Award Certificate and Bronze Medal on neck Ribbon

Adult Scouter Paul A. Siple Award Certificate and Bronze Medal on neck Ribbon

The Adult NOVA and SUPERNOVA awards are designed to recognize achievement by an Adult Scouter in promoting and encouraging youth in Scouting to participate in the STEM-NOVA and STEM-SUPERNOVA award programs.

Cub Scout Program requirements:

TECH TALK

1. Look up a definition of Technology and discuss it with your counselor

2. Watch or read, choose one

i. Watch an episode or episodes (an hour total) of NOVA or other media production that involves technology or how technology is used.

ii. Make a list of at least two questions or ideas from each production.

iii. Discuss the ideas and questions with your counselor

B. Read one long or two short magazine articles that talk about technology or how it is used.

i. Make a list of at least two questions or idea(s) from the articles

ii. Discuss the ideas and questions with your counselor.

C. Do a combination of reading and watching

i. Make a list of at least two questions or ideas from the article or production

3. Complete a belt loop or pin from the following list

Astronomy,BB Gun Shooting, Bicycling, Bowling, Computers, Map and Compass, Music, Photography, Snow Ski and Board Sports, Video Games

4. What technology is used in your belt loop or pin.

a. How do you think this technology

i. Was invented?

ii. Could be made better?

5. Discuss with your counselor, then

a. Visit a place of your choice that uses technology and

b. talk to someone in charge about

i. the technologies used where you are visiting

ii. Why they use these technologies

Possible choices of places to visit may include: An amusement park, A police or Fire station, a newspaper office, a factory or store.

6. Discuss with your counselor

a. how technology is used in

i. Communication (Radio, TV, Newspapers and magazines)

ii. Business

iii. Construction

iv. Sports

v. Entertainment

b. Why technology is important.

BOY SCOUT REQUIREMENTS

NOVA- Transportation Tech

1. Watch or Research, choose one:

A. Watch 3 episodes/hours of NOVA or other media productions that involve transportation technology

i. Make a list of at least two question or ideas from each production

B. Read at least 3 articles about transportation or transportation technology.

i. Make a list of at least two questions or idea(s) from the articles

C. Do a combination of reading and watching

i. Make a list of at least two questions or ideas from the article or production

2. Complete a merit badge from the following list:

Automotive Maintenance, Aviation, Motor Boating, Railroading, Small Boat Sailing, Canoeing, Cycling, Farm Mechanics, Space Exploration, Truck Transportation

3. Energy Sources

a. Using the above requirements from the above list of merit badges

i. Tell your counselor the energy source(s) for the types of transportation in the listed merit badges

ii. Discuss the pros and cons of each energy source with your counselor

b. Make a list of other sources of energy that may be possible to use in transportation

c. With your counselor

i. Discuss alternative sources of energy

ii. Discuss the pros and cons of using alternative energy sources

4. Design and build a working model vehicle (not from a kit)

a. Make drawings and specifications of your model vehicle before you begin to build

B. Include an energy source to power your vehicle

i. Solar Power

ii. Wind Power

iii. Battery Power

iv. DO NOT use gasoline or other combustible fuel source

c. Test your model

i. How well did it perform

ii. Did it move as well as you thought it would perform

iii. Did you encounter problems, How can these problems be corrected?

d. Discuss with your counselor

i. What difficulties you encountered in designing and building your model

ii. Why you chose your energy source

iii. If your model met your specifications

iv. How you would modify your design to make it better.

So those are the requirements that I have for 1 leg of the 4 total. I do not have any venturing specs yet. It looks like we will be having a council meeting on July 19th to discuss this further. While I see Rex Tillerson's hands all over this, it looks like a challenging program to get kids involved in STEM. I'm sorry for the length of this, but Hey, the engineering type is used to reading long and drawn out procedures and specifications. :)

So what do you think, any glaring questions I need to bring up at this meeting on the 19th?

First of all, would it be too cynical to notice that the "technology" portion of the Boy Scout requirements is about TRANSPORTATION technology, including energy, and the "corporate partner" on this program is ExxonMobil? Maybe it would be, because this is not the entire program; for Boy Scouts, the projectile and space science, motion-engineering and math requirements are not here. I assume somewhere in the remainder of the requirements the Computers and Robotics merit badges will be mentioned, you can't get much more STEM-ish than robotics. So don't be too offended ExxonMobil, but while I have your attention, could you please lower the price of your gasoline, you highway-robbing bunch of... Ok, ok. I'll calm down. :)

Second of all, how long is it going to be before someone says "this isn't what Scouting is all about"? It has happened in almost every other thread where someone brings up technology or computer-related MB's or programs. So guys, you don't have to this time. We know, you don't like it. No need to remind us. :)

Third of all, I DO like this kind of program, just as I like that new Outdoor Award, but what I wonder about is, how exactly does this fit into the troop program? Or maybe to be more precise, who is supposed to bring this to the attention of the boys and "administer" it? Is it going to go into the handbook? But then of course the older boys won't see it because they already have their handbook; we basically have a bunch of older boys who are still working out of the 11th edition, and now the first printing of the 12th edition (if I have my numbers correct) is possibly going to become out of date already with the addition of this sort of thing, if it hasn't already. Neither the boys nor the adults in our troop rush out to buy the new printing of the handbook every time National gets a bright idea to change or add something. Is this considered "advancement"? Is it going to be in Troopmaster? Am I, as troop advancement coordinator, supposed to have anything to do with it? Should there be a troop "counselor" for this program? If so, our most likely candidate is someone who is already an assistant scoutmaster who is already fulfilling about three-quarters of one of the committee roles, and he shouldn't even be doing that...

So many questions...

I've looked around and can't find details about any of the rest of it. If what you quoted is typical of the rest of the program, my primary question would be, "Where is the science part?"

The TEM part is clear enough. I am ok with ExxonMobil having a huge influence on this since they're fronting the funding. But while I clearly see the TEM part of the program, the 'S' part seems to be obscure - or absent. Any more detail out there someplace?

I've looked around and can't find details about any of the rest of it. If what you quoted is typical of the rest of the program, my primary question would be, "Where is the science part?"

Pack,

Current topics available for the Cub Scout NOVA award SCIENCE EVERYWHERE (Science) TECH TALK (Technology) SWING! (Motion-Engineering) DESIGNED TO CRUNCH (Mathematics Current Topics available for the Boy Scout and Venturing NOVA award SHOOT! Projectiles and Space (Science) START YOUR ENGINES (Transportation Technology) WHOOSH! (Motion-Engineering) DESIGNED TO CRUNCH (Mathematics)

This was all the information I've been sent. The only other info I received was the counselor sheet that had the basic answers to the questions in the requirements. I'll get a better idea of the program and it's full scope when I go to the meeting on the 19th.Maybe the technology part is the only one that's been final drafted or we'll get the rest of the requirements at the 19th mtg.

NJ,

Our council was asked to be the pilot (guinea pig) for this, I'm assuming since ExxonMobil is in our back yard and BSA Nat'l is there as well, that's why. That, and the technology corridor that runs through North Texas. What it looks like is an award program that's not required for advancement, but something that Scouts can expand upon on their own. If it goes out as a National program after final scrutiny of the pilot, then a page would probably be devoted to it in the 12th ED.Kind of like the Hornaday Award or the World Conservation, but the info would probably be put on the scouting.org site. Great question, I will add that to the list.

Thanks all for the feedback so far.

Sorry, you lost me at "here's a new program ..."

Like packsaddle, I would like to see some different technologies that more apply to scouting's required topics. For example:

Camping: tarp/tent textiles, peg design, water repellants, external combustion (e.g. camp stoves), load balancing mathematics.

Hiking: Boot design, lightweight clothing technology, portable solar panels, pack desitn, communication tools, trail difficulty ratings.

First Aid: compression bandages, insect repellants, snake bite kits.

Navigation: celestial mechanics, GPS technology, triangulation, rumb lines.

Now, if NOVA produced a couple of shows on the above topics, I'd make one of the techies in my Crew or troop set up a fire-side projection system to watch them.

Otherwise, there's no way I'm "requiring" a kid to watch a TV show.

I was at the National launch of the Robotics MB here in Orlando for the World Robotics Championship.

If you think this is "not scouting" - then you need to know that by 11:00 a.m., we had already filled three pages listing Scouts who were part of the Robotics teams at the Championship, and a number of them were already Eagles.

We even had Scouts from Scouts Canada telling us to contact their leaders so they could have a Robotics MB.

Why lose Scouts, when we can add a program, and increase retention? This doesn't take away from what we have had for the last century.

SeattlePioneer asks:

Is anyone getting the impression that new programs are being "rolled out" and traditional ones modified so often that things are losing focus and coherence?

Well, me, for one. And a related concern is, who is going to do all the paperwork for all these new things? As I said, I think this program, by itself, is a good idea. I also think the new outdoor awards program, by itself, is a good idea. Same for that family award, whatever it's called. Same for Journey to Excellence, although as I have said, I think that might be too complicated all by itself. Same for... well, I forget. There are probably others. But when you put it all together, for many troops it is too much. I don't think my troop is participating in any of the things I have listed so far. I think part of the reason for that is that it is often enough of a burden to get done the things that absolutely HAVE to get done, i.e. rechartering, camping reservations, tour permits... excuse me, now its tour PLANS, advancement recordkeeping, financial records, membership applications and the rest.

As I have said before, I think BSA national suffers from "good idea syndrome." They are good at adding "good ideas." They are not so good at viewing the total impact of all the good ideas and deleting an idea or two.

Looks to me to be an interesting piece however as usual National has not thought out the details very well. The main problem I have with this new program is there has been no effort to relate it to its application to scoutings relationship with the outdoors.

The BSA is NOT supposed to be a science camp or high tech training program and yet this is another attempt by National to move scouting away from its outdoor emphasis, which is something the CSE continues to push and push, and turn scouting into more of a classroom oriented program. The other problem is the sponsor Exxon Mobil who remains one of the WORLDS largest polluters of our oceans and environment, does anyone else see the irony in all this?

From a practical, financial standpoint, I can see why BSA is excited about these corporate and industry partnerships.

But from my point of view, it grates. There are plenty of grassroots volunteers with expertise in science, technology, engineering and math who'd have been more than happy to share their time and knowledge to develop this. Instead, we partner with a corporation that just happens to be run by BSA's national president.

It's apparently no longer enough to just donate some of your company's largesse and get public thanks. Now corporations want to write the curriculum and design the programs, too. (See: "Materials, Composite.")

I also really doubt that this SUPERNOVA award will be the equivalent of the Hornaday.

Sigh.(This message has been edited by shortridge)