The Quartermaster IS the equipment supply puzzle. We have 2 scout QMs who handle/oversee distribution of patrol equipment (kept in our spacious QM closet) before a campout. During loading, one QM loads/supervises the loading of the trailer, while the other works with the Patrol QMs to ensure that the patrols have what they need; this process is reversed and the equipment inspected upon return. They maintain inventory, inspect equipment condition (upon return from campouts) and ensure it is in working order during the campout (if the patrols need this help). They work closely with the Patrol QMs, who may change from month to month.

There is an ASM who is our Equipment Coordinator, and he mentors these scouts the same way I (SM) mentor the SPL and ASPL. He may make recomendations on equipment, but works strongly in a mentoring capacity. While the PLC meets, the ASM/EC and QMs meet to review equipment condition and overall needs.

Hope this helps.

Already - thanks for the great replies!

Buffalo Skipper - that's the direction I've been looking towards.

Historically, our ASM Equipment and Supply Coordinators have pretty much done all the inventory themselves, bought the needed supplies and restocked themselves, and grabbed some Scout Puppets to help load the trailer with "TLAR" (That Looks About Right) Patrol Equipment, etc.

I suspect doesn't fully embrace the Scout-led principle.

I am looking towards stepping into more of an "Adviser" role. What you indicated is exactly the kind of insight I'm looking for. I don't want Scout Puppets, and I don't want "Blind Man's Bluff". I'd like to mentor the Quartermaster(s) and as they become more proficient, step back and let them run the show.

Tomahawk - you asked about the "Equipment and Supply" puzzle... good question. I'm just finding out what we have (literally), looking for ideas from you all, and then looking forward to working with the Scouts as "they" make it happen.

I think this will be more of a marathon than a sprint, given our Troop's culture, but I know the best place to start is getting ideas from those who have experience in this area, then involving the Scouts.

Please continue to pass along your ideas!

Bilge,

In my troop growing up, the Troop QM was the one to handle everything equipment wise: issuing it to the patrols, collecting and replacing damaged equipment, keeping inventory, etc. While the adults would buy it, the youth was the one to tell them exactly what to get, and sometimes where to get it.

And adults in my troop learned to trust the QM the hard way. My troop lost ALL of their tents when the CO used the brand new fiberglass shed as a dartboard, and the tents mildewed. QM told the committee exactly what we wanted, basically the newer version of what we already had. Unfortunately the treasurer saw "a steal" on pop up tents, bought those instead of what we wanted, and on the first campout 2 of the tents busted and could not be repaired, and a third one busted the next one before we said chuck them and get what we wanted. Good news was that we got what we wanted cheap when a neighboring troop folded and we got their gear and a few of their members.

We have a Scout "in charge." Quality of performance has varied from great to abysmal. Same SA has been the QM adviser for years.

A big problem has been that our QM rooms have been out of sight and sound from the rest of the Troop. The QM can easily feel left out. We include him as a non-voting member of the PLC as he has information to give and get.

I was thinking we needed a contest where each patrol had to have certain "stuff" to play. The patrol QMs, warned in advance of the general concept, would need to be familiar with where everything is situated because they don't know exactly what will be needed.

How to have the QM lead Scouts instead of pots and pans? The patrol QM's have "dotted line" responsibility to the Troop QM, but that's not much people-leading. It was easier when I was a QM in a huge troop because I had four assistants - virtually the "QM Patrol."

Leading doesn't mean you have to have people reporting to you. A QM could be a leader by pointing out a shortage of supplies, coordinating Scouts to research replacement items and proposing a fundraiser and budget to pay for them.

Plus, from a legalistic rank advancement point of view, the job is a position of responsibility - not leadership.

"A big problem has been that our QM rooms have been out of sight and sound from the rest of the Troop. The QM can easily feel left out. We include him as a non-voting member of the PLC as he has information to give and get."

I am confused. What is the QM feeling left out about? The QM is a member of a patrol and particiaptes like any other troop member. Periodically he inventories the gear and requests a work day through the PLC for help in repair or organizing the gear/shed. He is the pivotal point at the beginning and ending of every campout. He is included in more activities than any other scout with the exception of the PL and SPL.

Out troop has 2 QM scouts because A) we have lots of gear and B) if one does not attend a campout/event, the other is available to run the show.

We used the position as a leadership development position. The troop QM was responsible for training the patrol QMs so that they kept track of the gear and made sure it was checked back in clean. The QM has the keys to the troop shed and is fully responsible for the locked trailers as well. NOBODY inters the shed or trailer without the QM first unlocking the locks. He is also trained to help drivers hook the trailer to the cars. The QM is fully responsible for what goes in and out of the shed and trailer. Loading and unloading can be chaotic, that is why he is trained to delegate much of the task to the patrol QMs.

Each high adventure crew that uses a trailer is required to have a trained QM for loading, unloading and hooking up the trailer. Only QM has the keys, so if he is a little slow getting around, he will here about it.

You can see why we like scouts running for SPL to have Troop QM experience on their resume.

Barry

"I am confused. What is the QM feeling left out about? The QM is a member of a patrol and particiaptes like any other troop member. Periodically he inventories the gear and requests a work day through the PLC for help in repair or organizing the gear/shed. He is the pivotal point at the beginning and ending of every campout. He is included in more activities than any other scout with the exception of the PL and SPL. "

"The QM"? It is not necessarily so. No BSA policy requires it, or prohibits it.

Our SM is firmly of the opinion that the QM is a warrant officer appointed by the SPL and is not a patrol member. That is how he reads the Table of Organization. Some of us have suggested that the troop QM might be the senior of the patrol QM's (as the "senior" Patrol Leader was once simply that - the senior among the PL's). That would work out about as you have described, and the troop QM would miss out on less The SM's model comes from the way it was done in the troop in which he was a Scout - a common phenomenon often illustrated here.

Eagledad, our QM has the keys to the shed in which the propane and liquid fuel is stored - sort of his Key Of Office (as the QM patch once showed a key and wheel of the trek cart.) (That's about as far as the key supply goes in our setup.)

Interesting to see how different troops handle the position.

In every unit I've seen, our QM has always been a member of a Patrol and QM is an additional task (aka POR) at the troop level he has. The SPL usually appoints the QM; I've been in one where the Scouts elected and another where the SM selected.

In current troop, our QM:

* maintains inventory list of all equipment

* maintains troop numeral, council patches and troop t-shirts

* conducts "regular" inspections (about once a quarter)

* signs out (troop) equipment to Patrols

* inspects equipment after use for turn-in

* guides Patrols in repairs and maintenance

* addresses equipment issues to the Committee

The QM ASM also trains/mentors the QM.

I've seen them go over the dBase (really a spreadsheet), discuss "how to repair/maintain" various items, the finer points of rolling/stuffing tents, even trail fixes for boots, tent poles, backpacks. The ASM is really good and the Scout leaves the position much more knowledgable about gear than when he begins.

We have two locks on our shed (the first I've seen this), the QM has key to one and the (QM) ASM has key to second. Both are present in order to unlock the shed.

This troop's system works the best I've seen. The two parts I'm most impressed with are the QM addressing the Committe and the training given by the ASM. The last QM is now a Den Chief.