This reminds me of the thing I got from my brother that garbles all the words, but they all start and end with the right letter. It is supposedly a test to indicate your synapses are still working, as the brain, according to this anyway, will decode the word no matter what, as long as the first and last letters are correct. Interesting, though am not an expert in the area.

I still have problems keeping my thoughts to myself about how bad the grammar, spelling, and so on tends to be on these boards, and others as well. To me, it is either a reflection of laziness or simply our poor school system. While I know I occasionally make minor errors of similar nature, I really do try to not do so. Most of my editing is related to rereading something and seeing an error of syntax or spelling. The one that continues to grate on me is the misuse of "lose" and "loose"; and I feel this is usually simply a matter of lack of attention, as the extra "O" can easily be typed. But, the meaning is drastically changed just the same. The other one that tends to annoy me is the almost totally lack of understanding of the difference between bring and take. The nuance is very specific; and people in everyday speech and writing almost universally misuse it. Of course there are the old standby's, "there, they're, and their", and "two, too, and to".

But, I have come to just take a deep breath and read the intent of postings the best I can, as I cannot make people pay attention. It is just disappointing to see so few individuals, many supposedly with college degrees, who do not seem to understand basic English and its usage.

And so, back to trying to simply accept and ignore as best I can.

Welcome to the forums Emberizidae, errr Sparrow (sorry - practicing my nomenclature for an ornithology test) - as I'm sure you've figured out by now, it's not uncommon for threads to take really weird turns at times - like what's just happened here.

(This message has been edited by calicopenn)

• 2 weeks later...