Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
SeattlePioneer

You are 1 of 1246 Active Users

Recommended Posts

Since unregistered "users" may browse the forum, anyone who has recently clicked a link to the forum is typically included in that count. Usually the TTL (time to live) on that is about an hour. So anyone who has clicked on a link to this forum in the last hour (just a guess) is included in that count.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wait...this reminds me of something familiar....it's on the tip of my tongue...oh man.....I can almost connect the dots...

 

OH YEAH! I know what it is!

 

20/80!

 

Of all the active users, only 20% actually do something and write for the other 80% who don't do anything! :)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just 'cause I wanted to see, I repeatedly clicked the refresh button (about 10 times in a minute) and the number of active users changed every time. I know, I'm easily entertained.

 

The big point of this is to realize that this forum is very public and is visited often. Which, in turn, should govern our behavior on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

It also means that the count is way off since it probably also goes higher every time you jump from post to post within a forum, and from one forum to the next.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Way I look at it is that every time I look, there may be 1248 users but I'm always glad to know that who ever set this thing up knew that of them I was number 1. Good to have the respect I deserve.

Heck, I'd be honored if I fell in the top 100 but number one every time I must be special!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"It also means that the count is way off since it probably also goes higher every time you jump from post to post within a forum, and from one forum to the next. "

 

Not likely. Web servers can identify unique visitors. Otherwise, when you request to view a web page, the server wouldn't know where to send the response.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×