Sleeping whilst operating a motor vehicle...

Not something I recommend... but I tell Scout that I have a dream catcher hanging off my rear view mirror so I won't have bad dreams if I go to sleep while driving...

But, seriously, those of us adults in the Troop who go on most of the camping trip are finding that feeling sleepy during the 2-3 hour Friday evening drive to a camping site is becoming an increasing problem. Perchance age related?

We deal with it by drinking coffee - or more likely one of the many energy drinks that are so prominently displayed at the check-out counter of a convenience store. I tend toward the 5-Hour kind of small bottle stuff that tastes terrible but seems to work. But then we are all wide awake after getting camp set up and putting the Scouts to bed!

Per this recent article, drowsy driving is a significant problem: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/11/08/AR2010110806349_pf.html

Do others have this problem? How do you deal with it?

I'm going to amplify what perdidochas has said, only because I think it is very easy to be dismissive of the problem (which is becoming a much more common diagnosis) --

There is a sort of test that one goes through before being diagnosed with sleep apnea -- a series of questions, really. One of those questions is about sleepiness while driving. There are others: afternoon sleepiness, not feeling refreshed upon waking up, irritability, waking up with a headache (from lack of O2!), waking up frequently, nocturia (nighttime urination), snoring, lack of dreaming (because you're not getting into REM), and observed "apnea events" by a sleeping partner. If you say yes to enough of those, you may be offered an overnight sleep study.

I know quite a few adults -- a surprising number, actually -- that have sleep apnea, and sleep with a CPAP machine.

Guy

I worry about this more on the Sunday trip back, sometimes. The kids return dog-tired. The adults often look pretty crusty, too. Especially on winter camps where a comfy warm car after a weekend of cold outdoors might really be conducive to napping.

How DO you all deal with this, I would also like to know? I've seen a bit of macho chest thumping when this topic has come up locally, and it always bugs me.

Gklose,

Exactly. I'm one of those on a CPAP machine. It has revolutionized my life. Without it, I fit most of the symptoms in the checklist you mention it. In the year or so I've been on it, I'm much more awake. The only time I don't use my machine is when camping, and if I could find a lighter battery (12-volt), I'd use it then, too.

I take a diet soda and water bottle along. If I get bored or feel too relaxed, I open one of them and just sip from it. Having a bag of crunchy snacks along also gives me something to do. One potato chip each mile marker. :-)

Those little super sour candies will give you a jolt too.

I tell drivers the worst thing they can do is have an accident and the most embarassing thing they can do is get stopped for speeding. We aren't in a hurry to get anywhere and it's just fine to arrive 10 minutes after everyone else because you needed to stop at a gas station for a stretch, toilet break, or coffee/soda/energy drink. (We don't all drive bunched up, with everyone stopping if one does.)

Scout On

Shortly after my daughter was born, getting 2-3 hours of sleep a night and working a 4-12 shift with an hour's commute, I fell asleep at the wheel just a few blocks from home. I came within a foot or two of going head-on into a power pole. Instead, I abruptly woke up, jerked the car to the right and only messed up the axle bouncing over a curb. Most terrifying experience of my life.

Since then, I don't drive if I'm tired. Period. If I find myself getting sleepy while driving, I pull over at a rest stop and take a nap. Better to be late than dead.

Drinking soda, snacking, opening the windows and letting cool air blow on you, cranking up the radio - those won't cut it if your body shuts itself down.

This issue is addressed in the Health & Safety training course and in the Guide to Safe Scouting.

On the MyScouting site, there is a link to the National Safetly Council's Defensive Driving Course, which BSA is apparently endorsing for use by unit leaders to help increase the safety of unit travel.

"Falling asleep while driving results in 1,550 deaths, 71,000 injuries and more than 100,000 accidents each year, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration estimates."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/11/08/AR2010110806479.html

I appreciate your replies - especially those dealing with the underlining problems that may significantly contribute to drowsy driving.

I'm open to any other ideas on ways to stay awake... especially when you really don't have the option to pull over and nap. When I have 6 Scouts in my vehicle and I'm pulling the trailer with all the Troop equipment a quick 8 hour nap may be what my body needs, but does not fit in the activity schedule!

Camp closer. A 1-2 hour drive might keep you more alert than a 2-3 hour one.

Don't camp on Friday night. Get a good night's sleep Friday night, and leave early Saturday morning. If you are camping 3 hours away, you can leave at 5AM and be there and set up by 9AM.