Packsaddle packing his bags?

Good luck Pack; keep in occasional touch. Find a local scout group if time allows and then report back to us how it appears compared to our own and others with which you are familiar.

YIS

Hey, I'm not going anywhere for a little while yet, we're still working on details. Plus, you guys sound like you're attending a wake or something although I do appreciate the good thoughts. I'll try to torment you for at least a little while longer. ;)

Here's the really interesting part, a whole bunch of my superannuated scouts are now in college and some of them might be coming with me for coursework now and then. Nice.

Here's a little something to tease:

http://dominica.dm/site/videogallery1.cfm

(Lisa, you were correct)

As soon as I have the web site up and running I'll give you the link. I'm sincere about the invitation. As for the suggestions about scouting on the island...I've already thought of that. Here's the thing. The country really is so raw and natural, children there are LIVING the life that we want our guys to experience here. Words cannot describe.

Yah, I once went to a true Irish wake for a fellow. Now that was a party. :)

Here I was settin' down to give yeh a proper toast and send-off before settin' off for a different big party. Now you're tellin' me it ain't the time. Ah well, a toast to yeh anyway! Hope the details work out without too many devils, and that new door opening leads to a grand new path of adventure.

Beavah

Hey Pack, gonna miss ya when you do retire to the Caribbean! You are one of the few posters who posted on this forum longer than I have. You are one of the few whose advices are pretty much in line with what I was looking at. Happy journey! I know that Dave is still out there as well! As with him, old scouters don't fade away. They just find a nicer spot to sit and enjoy a good cup of coffee!

1Hour

Vicki, that consideration alone might get me to the internet cafe once in a while...don't despair!

OneHour, yeah for this unit that 'old timer' factor has bugged me for a while. My goal in staying with the unit had been to help with a transition and provide some continuity in leadership... but I had that done 5 years ago. Time to step aside and make room for some others.

Gern, anyone who hiked with me a short distance up the Point Multre River to discover Victoria Falls, or down the Boeri River to Middleham Falls would, as we round the bend, see our destination - and then swim in their idyllic pools, KNOW that we had been taken by rapture.(This message has been edited by packsaddle)

Some people have no consideration for others!

There I was planning my retirement down South, spending my days doing as much as I could to get as many of them "Rats with antlers" to invade your yard. Now you have gone and put paid to all of my plans!

Does anyone want to buy a lifetime supply of apples and a truck load of salt blocks?

Ea.

Come on down anyway! There are plenty of rats and I'll still be in the South for about half the year or so. This new position is mostly going to be during the 'high' research seasons (summer and spring).

There are some wonderful places to consider near my home if you're serious - considerably warmer than you in the winter and still nice in the summer: Brevard, NC; Hendersonville, NC; Flat Rock, Cullowhee, Boone, Murphy, plenty of others as well. Of course there's Highlands and Cashiers (kind of high $$$). This is just in NC. If you want to be even warmer there are plenty of great places in GA and SC, still nestled next to the Blue Ridge.

However, and this is just something to think about...there's a decent-sized ex-pat community on the island, mostly Brits and Canadians.

So here's a Citizenship in the Country question: What impediments are there to prevent a former colony, say Massachusetts or New Jersey, from joining the Commonwealth? I've often wondered....

"So here's a Citizenship in the Country question: What impediments are there to prevent a former colony, say Massachusetts or New Jersey, from joining the Commonwealth? I've often wondered...."

Well, I believe the impediment would be in the first paragraph of Article 1, Section 10 of the U.S. Constitution which states that "No State shall enter into any Treaty, Alliance, or Confederation" and if that wasn't clear enough, it was repeated in paraphrase form in the 3rd paragraph of Article 1, Section 10 as "No State shall, without the Consent of Congress...enter into any Agreement or Compact with another State, or with a foreign Power".

Dominca, huh? Watch out for the baseball players. Oh wait, that's the Dominican Republic.

(This message has been edited by calicopenn)