Gang signs... or what?

Perchance some of you young whipper-snappers can help out this old goat with regard to today's young people...

When we go on a hike or camping trip, and take photos of the Scouts, the older Scouts like to pose as a group by hunching over and holding their hands sideways with palms and finger together or a sideways victory sign (peace sign). They always have big smiles, like they're getting with something very devious. When I ask them about it, they just grin and make a few vague statements.

Can anyone enlighten me on this?

From my experience, it mostly amounts to kids being goofy. Remember when we put fingers behind another kids head? Devils horns? Rabbits ears?

Relax and just accept that they are kids who, amazingly, will act like kids.

Remember, BP considered the original patrols to be gangs!

Ken

Hmmm... well, I looked up the "shocker", and it's not that. More like the the hands are in the "prayer" position, but instead of pointing up, they are pointing at the horizon and the kids always hutch over while doing it.

I basically agree with you Narraticong, they're just being goofy. But they've done it several times the same way, always with big devious grins, I had to wonder what they're up to!

There are a couple of meanings to the hand sign you described.

The tradition vertical peace sign (palms facing the viewer meaning "peace to you and the world"

In the UK, (from what I understand) the the reverse, vertical peace sign (knuckles facing the viewer) means "up yours" The story goes back to the Battle of Argincort when the French said they would cut of the shooting fingers of the British Longbowmen. Well the British won and their archers showed the french that they still had their fingers. Not in a friendly manner. In the US we use the single middle finger extended.

The horizontal reverse peace sign, gained popularity from Rap and "Gangsta" musicians as a hip way to say "Peace" or "Peace Out". Today many youth in a way to show their "hipness' use the the horizontal reverse Peace Sign. This is the same for the "Rocker" sign (fingers enclosed with the thumb and pinky extended.

I don't think the kids are trying to get away with something as they just wanna show their "coolness"

Art,

the "Victory Sign" reversed is not "up yours" but rather "go forth and multiply." and the US version is considered the polite version of that over there.

True story, I am teaching rifle shooting at a camp over there, and I use that sign to show a rear sight and a index finger on the other hand to show the front sight. Girl Guides and leaders freaked out when I did that. I didn't know any better, and kept on. Later that day I had a discussion with the camp warden.

I am going to chime in on this topic, but I would like to give a little information about the education that I have sought on this topic. I work in EMS and have studied gangs and hate groups. I do this for my safety and the safety of my crew so I know when I am running into something that can be very dangerous.

Yes this may be Kids-being-kids. that is one thing. But just make sure that you know this. There have been groups of kids that have been attacked by gangs (yes street gangs) and I mean VIOLENT attacks. It was just because they did something like this and they did not know where they were. The wrong sign in the wrong place can lead to major trouble. Not that I am expecting street gangs to see it when you pose on a mountain top at sunrise, but just take that into consideration.

I would be interested in seeing these. If possible, PM me and I will get you some more reference. If I cannot figure it out I wil ask a retired gang enforcement officer that I am friends with. So I should be able to get you some information.

On a more personal note, I do not allow those type of signs and things in our pack. Just eliminates the problems. Just like I get on boys about wearing hats sideways.

SctDad; You do bring up an important point: Allthough the scouts may be doing absolutely nothing wrong, you could have one of those idiot gang members that thinks its a sign of disrespect to their gang. Yep, there is no doubt whatso ever that everybody in the world knows that gang, and not only that, knows what "disses" them too!

On another note, I read about a 20 somethuing year old fella Gunned donw in Charlotte , NC because he was wearing a red sweatshirt. Might have beemn a Champion brand, might have been Colunbia brand. The fela was walking to a local library and had books in his arms. A member of one of the local gangs saw the red sweatshirt, ABSOLUTELY knew it was a rival gang member and went for help.

Next thing that happened was a drive by murder!

It was a plain red sweatshirt with no numbers, marking or symbals on it. The fella was carrying books. I suppose he might have been mistakemn as a rival gang's accountant or secretary, but we know gang mentality does not allow for rational mentality!