I'm working on a chapel service program guide for my local camp - a collection of readings, prayers, messages, etc., for interfaith worship services, so staff members don't have to re-invent the wheel every year and so people attending the service will be able to read along.

Where I'm coming up short is in the songs department. We have a couple of old traditional standbys, but they're really creaky and dusty. A lot of what I'm coming up with online are very denomination- and faith-specific. So I'd like to cast a wide net and ask for nominations of favorite worship songs suitable for an interfaith service. Any ideas are welcome!

Thanks.

What a Friend We Have in Jesus

God is So Good

I Will Call Upon the Lord, Who is Worthy to be Praised

Day by Day

By interfaith I trust you are talking inter-Christian. If you are talking mixing outside of Christendom, I cannot help you, as that is anathema.

Yeah, I know... that's part of the problem I'm running into! I've not had much of a problem finding "universal" readings, prayers, etc., that can be adapted to focus on Scouting's values, but songs are very faith tradition-specific. But thanks for the suggestions - I'll take a look!

Chai: You asked:

Read John 14:6-7 and Revealtion 2:12-18.

As a Scouter, I will support your right to worship in your faith tradition. Do not ask me to participate within your faith tradition, allow me the right to worship in my faith tradition. Would you ask the Jew to worship the risen Christ? What would you ask of the Muslim?

Within the context of Scouting, our duty is to support the families of youth. We embrace faith, we do not provide substitutes.

All God's Critters got a Place in the Choir (Bill Staines)

"Make a joyful noise unto the Lord" and all that, but I would hope that you would also encourage the Scout to just sit and LISTEN... to God's creation, to that "still, small voice".

Much as I love Peter, Paul, and Mary, and mourn Mary Travers passing, "If I Had a Hammer" is completely secular in nature. It does speak to temporal moral righteousness, but not to the Eternal.

Glory Glory Hallelujah (Mine Eyes have seen the glory) does speak to this...

I agree that If I had a Hammer was thinking outside the box but as a middle school Catholic Faith Formation teacher we spend a lot of time on Catholic Social Teaching. This includes things like Charity, Solidarity, Social Justice, and the Dignity and Rights of Workers. Those things are a part of our faith and seen as one of our duties to God "Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me."

Working with teens and pre-teens in both Scouts and Faith Formation, the "out of the box" ideas are sometimes the ones that resonant with them the most.