Retiring Confederate Colors

A few years back or so I was traveling for business in Tennessee and came upon the University of the South in Sewanee, Tn. I stopped to read the road side sign telling about the school and on the historical marker, state supported I guess ,it made reference to the damage done to the school during the War of Northern Agression. I had never seen that phrase used in anything official before.

Later that evening when asked if I wanted my iced tea regular or yankee, I took mine sweet, diabetes be damned, I had enough on my plate with my Chicago accent going on

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The (Damn) Yankees is the name of that miserable baseball team from NY. I know because I used to live in CT and was told many times about it. Then I moved to NE OH and found out just what people farther away thought of them. Additionally not very complementary. Not being a big fan of the great American past time all I can do is go on what others tell me.

Let's see if I can get this thread back on track....

Cardinal50

Here's what I would do to retire a Confederate Battle Flag

A 4 man color guard in period dress

The flag on a staff

Someone to read, or recite's Lee's Farewell Address -

"After four years of arduous service marked by unsurpassed courage and fortitude, the Army of Northern Virginia has been compelled to yield to overwhelming numbers and resources.

I need not tell the brave survivors of some many hard fought battles who have remained steadfast to the last that I have consented to this result from no distrust of them.

But feeling that valor and devotion could accomplish nothing that could compensate for the loss that must have attended the continuance of the contest, I determined to avoid the useless sacrifice of those whose past services have endeared them to their countrymen.

By the terms of the agreement, officers and men can return to their homes and remain until exchanged. You will take with you the satisfaction that proceeds from a consciousness of duty faithfully performed; and I earnestly pray that a Merciful God will extend to you His blessings and protection.

With an unceasing admiration of your constancy and devotion to your Country, and a grateful remembrance of your kind and generous consideration for myself, I bid you all an affectionate farewell."

As the Address is read dip the Colors in the flames allowing it to be consumed. The color guards saluting.

I never cease to be amazed at how the discussions on the US Civil War can still raise the blood of the participants. Without question, it was an event in our history that still captures the hearts of modern peoples for its scope and breadth, and mostly for the incredible loss sustained by our countrymen, both North and South.

By all means, the respectful thing to do in retiring the Confederate colors is to engage the always willing services of the local Camp of the Sons of Confederate Veterans. They are especially appropriate participants to properly and respectfully handle those flags. I agree with most of the contributors here that uniformed Scouts have no business participating in a ceremony involving the raising or striking of flags of any political entity other than their State or Nation (or visiting National Colors).

OGE, you might not have known it but around the Monteagle area there are dozens of great caves and camping spots. One park, Foster Falls, is a favorite of mine in the area. Not too far from there in Alabama is Russell Cave National Monument, a really nice under-appreciated NM where you can get one of the best demos of primitive survival skills I've ever seen and the boys get to try them as well. And they have a group camping area that's really nice. Something to put on the list for your troop perhaps.