I think I might be guilty of wanting my cake and eating it.

I'm a little .... Shall we say out of my comfort zone, when I hear Scouts and Scouting being talked about as the "BSA Brand".

For a fairly long time I have been preaching that we (The BSA.) Needs to be more open to change and move with the times.

Now it seems to be at long last doing something.

I'm starting to act like an old stick in the mud.

I'm not sure if I'll ever be willing to bid farewell to my drawer full of red-topped socks.

I fear I'm going to look like a clown when I wear a uniform that hasn't been toned down.

I wonder if when the cooking requirements return for Eagle if Councils will quit selling microwaveable pop-corn?

My biggest fear is that I will not meet the standards of this repackaged BSA brand.

Maybe it's time to hang up my beads?

Eamonn.

When I read that adults applying for the 2010 Jambo had to have WB21 AND be the epitome of physical fitness (or whatever terms they used), I abandoned my thoughts of applying. When the emphasis is on appearances and PR rather than serving youth, it's time to go do something else. Someone else can go and look pretty for the media. Too bad they don't send a camera crew to shadow a Philmont or Boundary Waters trek...now that's Scouting Reality! The Jambo is just a high-priced circus, IMHO.

Instead of us old farts lamenting the "good ole days", perhaps it's time to let go and admit defeat. Reminds me of why my Dad decided to retire from the Navy in 1964, and why I've decided to retire from my govt bureaucrat job at the earliest opportunity (Oct 1, 2010). Too many idiots to deal with and it's just not fun any more.

I have to disagree about the Jambo.

Each and every Scout I have taken has come home saying it was the best time.

Some might say that it doesn't compare to High Adventure activities, but with a Lad having about seven years as a Boy Scout, there is time for him to sample a lot of what we have to offer.

Still having said that.

Looking back at the 2005 Jambo. If the people in charge had put into practice some of the lessons from WB? Maybe some things might have gone a little better.

The leaders do need to be in good shape, in order to look after the Scouts. The more time medical staff spend looking after sick adults, the less time they have to tend to the needs of the Scouts.

Looking good? While I was once well known for my sexy knees! Even HWMBO isn't as impressed as she once was. - I'm now telling everyone that white hair looks distinguished!

Eamonn.

Way back as a youth I wanted to be a Roman Catholic Priest, from about First Grade to just before Senior year in High School. When people asked what I wanted to be when I grew up, I always said a Priest. After I completed the Eighth grade, I went to St Charles Borromeo Seminary in Lockport, Il which was then the Seminary for the Diocese of Joliet and completed three years there. I entered in 1967.

The more veteran Cathoics out there remember the late 60's as the implementation of Pope John XXIII's Second Vatican Council. The mass was changed from Latin to the Vulgate (language of the people) so Mass in France would be in French, In Italy, Italian and in the US, English. They also turned the altar around so the priest was facing the people and communion was changed from placing the host on the recipients tongue to having an option of placing it in the hand. I was shocked and horrified. The reasons I had for being a priest were being whittled away. I realized that if the basis for my vocation could be changed, then the base was not that strong. For many are called but few are chosen.

If the uniform changes, if the red top socks go away, does that change the BSA mission? Listen to B-P in this speech:

http://www.thescoutingpages.org.uk/speeches.html

the fifth one down, "Another Message to Scouts"

listen to what B-P says about the uniform and badges, that they are just swank, and a scout may be proud, but is not swanky. ( I love the English's English, don't you?) He goes on to say that its not even about becomming a soldier or a sailor, but to be a good citizen. When you look at the BSA aims, to develop Citizenship, Charactor and Personal Fitness, what other organization can compete with that legacy?

Sometimes adults get us all down. Thats why they came up with the saying 'Its tough to soar with Eagles when you work with Turkeys'. But you will find a group of people who you mesh well with, it's all in the looking and I hope they are scouters.

OK, all you perfect role models can have it. That eliminates 95% of the scouters I know. If that's going to be their standard, then I don't think smokers should be allowed, either. But that's just me. I don't "look" physically fit, but all my lab results are outstanding, I can swim for miles with technique better than most, and can hang in the heat and humidity with the best (I'm "from here", you know, and even prefer it to A/C). I'm just not "pretty" on TV. I apologize for hijacking the thread...it was not intentional. I'm done.

If you think I'm a perfect role model or Adonis, wrong answer. I won't be there. I just had an insurance physical yesterday, we're talking about losing 100+ lbs in next couple years. If the rule is what it is, ok. I'm out of the pool.

We do have an Oath and Law to uphold, even as adults.

BTW, I agree about the smokers being restricted...(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

Not sure why the physically able requirement should be an issue. The levels to be attained are not particularly high. The only ones that will be affected are those who are morbidly obese, or have other major issues. The upper plateus are fairly high it seems to me. Maybe I am missing something.

"be the epitome of physical fitness (or whatever terms they used)"

I think we're being rather presumptuous of the meaning of "whatever terms they used." It may very well mean passing a Class 3 physical. I don't know where the "pretty for TV" bit came from.

We need to calm down a bit, and carry on. If you want to go to the Jamboree, then get ready to go.

See you there.

BDPT00

The actual language on the BSA Jambo web site is "Be able to serve as a role model for physical fitness." This requirement is for Scoutmasters and Assistants. Additionally, complete a Class III physical. It will be interesting to see how this is interpreted and enforced.

Sorry, John, didn't mean to snipe at you.

No sniping taken.

I know what Missouri summer humid heat is; heck, I know what Houston summer humid heat is. I can imagine a fair bit of what Virginia summer humid heat is.

I've heard about the Charley Foxes of gathering all the participants into a hot sunny place and making them wait for the President to show his smiling face and Secret Service entourage.

I've got a pretty good summer weekend schedule working at one of our Council camps. Jambo is a major muscle group for a family now. I'd rather serve some of our Scouts who have to work to save for just Scout Camp! :)

Ceertainly the Mission could be accomplished without the methods. Look at Venturing, it does not list a uniform as a method nor advancement or the Patrol Method. The fact that a Venturing Crew may be Arts & Hobbies, Youth Ministries, Sports or Sea Scouts pretty much takes Outdoors out of the methods list, (Although personally I am not sure how Sea Scouts doesnt qualify for Outdoors)

There are many way to develop the charactor, citizenship and personal fitness of today's youth JoePa uses Football, Boy Scouts uses its methods and Venturing its.

Listening to B-P speak, you hear he often talks about charactor and citizenship as the primary goals, he talks about camping, but as a fun activity, he wanted charactor and citizenship lessons to be learned in a fun environment.