Conducting an Interfaith Service (BSA supplemental training)

(I saw this posted on scouter-t)

Conducting an Interfaith Service

http://tinyurl.com/3rezc6

The purpose of this one-hour course is to teach Boy Scout leaders and Boy Scouts how to conduct a simple interfaith worship service at camp, on the trail, or during other outings. When we conduct Scouting activities, it is important that we call attention to a Scouts Duty to God through prayer at meal times and at other appropriate occasions.

[excerpted]

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fred,

When we were at Philmont for "Scouting in the Church's Ministry" together back in 2003, I had a long talk with the Lutheran Chaplain to the Reservation ... the guy that did our opening night service. We talked at length about what happens when you mix people of multiple basic religions together.

Pastor was adamant: Mixing and matching within Christendom was one thing, going outside is a clear breakage of the Gospel message. His advice was, if the audience of a worship was broadly Christian, proclaim that message. If not, do not "mix and match," rather do a lesson on a basic moral tenant and allow people to pray silently in their own tradition.

What BSA proposes approaches anathema. A Christian can offend a Jew when he freely proclaims Christ as Messiah. Yet, that is what the Christian is called to do in worship. Equally, a Muslim denying Christ as the Godhead is offensive to the Christian.

Joshua 24:14-19 is but one passage to be cited.

In Matthew, Chapter 10:17-21 is another, 11:20-24 still another, and 12:1-13 a third.

Mark 9:42-50 is yet another cautionary verse.

I'm going to the Lutheran conference at PTC during Relationships week, this is something I'll be discussing with the pastoral advisor as well as the relationships staff pastors of ELCA and LCMS.

I know BSA means well, but it should stick to its premise that the family is the responsible agency for faith.

This is of eternal importance. As a Scouter, I cannot and will not prosletyze. As a Christian, God calls His people to proclaim the Word as written in Scripture. The tipping point is, within the Scouting community, to allow each to worship in his own way.

My thoughts on this matter.

Peace be with you, John

Somehow I doubt that this is the final version of this program element.

I say that only because when you have to build into the training a session on how to apologize to the people you will offend, then a big red flag should be waving telling you that this is not the final product.

The advice contained in the training module seems to match what I see happen in reality. And it does seem reasonable to think about those things when planning an Interfaith worship service.

The bigger problem I see, is as John describes. Some Christian denominations are not happy with this plan. The idea of asking their Scouts to regularly plan worship services that leave out all distinctly Christian elements is not always a winner.

Chartering organizations are free to decide that their Scout units will not use interfaith services, but will have denominational or religion specific services. That does risk offending the non-Christian members of the troop.

John, I understand where you're coming from -- did you also take offense at the interfaith worship service during your WB course?

Because that service was written by the chaplain aids using guidelines very similar to these.

I don't understand why they had to change the name from "Scout's Own", but other than that, I have no problem with the concept of a spiritual gathering that is not faith-specific.

Bob, unless you can write an interfaith service that is guaranteed to be non-offensive to all Scouters, then it seems to me just good planning to consider what you might say in the event the interfaith service does in fact offend someone.

Or are you seriously suggesting that it is possible to write such a guaranteed non-offensive service and the syllabus should reflect that by ignoring even the possibility that someone could be offended?

Fred,

Yes, I did, in writing to the Course Director, copied to the SE of the hosting Council.

Heterodoxy is not good.

Frankly, I don't attend OA induction weekend chapels in my lodge anymore. Talking about the goddess Gaia ripped the envelope.

John(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

I have seen many attempts at an interfaith serve and few that do not end up being a christian faith service. I do not thinlk it is done intentionally but more out of personal habit and patterns of worship that we develop in our own lives.

It should also be made clear that this is not a religious service nor does it meet the worship obligations of some religions. For instance a scout interfaith service does not fulfill the religious obligations for Catholics, or for members of the LDS church as well as others. And units should take that into consideration.

The interfaith service as a tool to help scouts see the connection between scouting and faith (which is what the training syllabus suggests) is fine. But for many faiths it is not a recognized religious celebration and it does not release scouts or scouters from the obligations of their specific religions.

As I said before I know of no other element of scouting where they teach you how to apologize for doing the activity. If they need to prepare you to aplogozize then perhaps the they need to re-think the structure of the activity.

It is very difficult to be all things to all people. So perhaps that is not a goal they should attempt. They started off well by centering it around the Scout Oath and Law, which we all share. It is a very tricky line to cross, especially in larger groups, to try and introduce religious practices or beliefs without offending a lot of people.

There are so few common elements between religions. Fewer than you would think. In fact, I can think of absolutely no aspects of theology that are shared among the families in my single unit. Zero points in common! The only common elements between religions are non-theological ones; these are ethics/morals and can easily reduced down to the Scout Law, which we already share. So I have always wondered about the point of trying to create a truly inclusive interfaith service. It's not going to be useful for some people and can be downright insulting to others. Why not let families handle religion and have Scouts stick to the Scout Law, Scout Oath, and Wilderness Code?

You are so correct Gern. I have led many an inter-faith service and many Christian services for Scouts. We had a few camporees that had individual Christian, Catholic and Jewish services. We also announce at registration of the camporee and at the SPL meetings and at the leader meeting what type(s) of services we will be holding.

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

Two weekends ago I attended Outdoor Leadership Training for Scoutmasters. Overall, it was a well run session. But I was troubled by our "Scout's Own" segment. The trainers had put together an actual Scout's Own service complete with a printed program. The focus was strongly on the Scout Law, using Biblical references to illustraste.

It became obvious that the author of the service had been doing his best not to offend anyone. The Detroit area has a very diverse Christian, Jewish, and Muslim population. By using only Old Testament references, some would suggest that all three major religions would be comfortable.

As a Lutheran Christian (like John-in-KC), I might be offended by a total lack of the Gospel in the Service. By using no New Testament references, the service totally ignores my Savior.

It would seem that perhaps the Scout's Own looks good on the surface. But when one really digs deep into what is required of one who wishes to truly worship his God (whether the God of Jews, Muslims, or Christians- they are not the same!), any type of interfaith worship might be uncomfortable at best.

I don't claim to have an answer to how Scouts should encorage the Twelfth Point without weakening it for any individual. But like John, I will be attending the Lutheran Conference at Philmont this summer and I look forward to searching (and praying) for answers!

Gern,

We can, really easily, digress into the DRP debate yet again.

From my perspective, BSA should be an enabler of Faith. Period.

To Narraticong: I actually have an answer for the last: Council Relationships Committees should acively promote the Religious Emblems program. Catholic, Buddhist, Jew, protestant Christian, LDS, Muslim... I care not.

Our Council's Catholic Committee actively trains and certifies Scouters to counsel its awards and programs. Several area churches in our Council sponsor the protestant programs, we train and certify counselors to handle the PRAY materials. In addition to letting Scouts do the program in their own churches, we offer opportunities for unchurched/underchurched kids to discover God leveraging on the PRAY curricula. (BTW, to keep denominational emphasis, especially at the God and Church program level, we're adamant that a Pastor sign off on understanding the statement of faith (lesson 3), the liturgy (lesson 5), and that a Pastor or lay leader sign off on parish organization (lesson 7).

I look forward to picking Mark and Debbie's brains at PTC. :)(This message has been edited by John-in-KC)

As a Scoutmaster, each Sunday morning when we had an activity, the scouts would form a circle. One scout would read a passage we had selected from the old testament that related to a positive values, some were directly relateable to the oath and law and some were not.

We then went around the circle and each scout said either something they do in their life to reflect that value or something they would try to do more of in their life to reflect that value. We then redicated ourselves to the values of the Scout Law. Then we held hands and went around the circle and each scout and scouter said either something that they were grateful to God for or something they wanted God's help for.

Finally we had a moment of silent prayer so each person could talk to God in their own way (or not).

I can honestly say that in all the years we did this no one every said they were uncomfortable, no one ever chose not to particiapate. The parents who witnessed it were often genuinely moved by it.

But we also put scouts into vehicles and drove them to the church of their faith whenever it was possible. Sometimes distance and availability did not allow us to do it, but we made every effort to help those who wanted to fufill their obligation to do so.

While this non-denominational activity works great in a small group (30 OR LESS) it is difficult to do in a larger group.

Bob,

Thanks for that. Do you remember whether any of your youth were beyond basic Christendom (Islamic, Jewish etc), as opposed to the Catholic/multiple Protestant/Orthodox families within Christendom?

TIA :)