Cleaning Aluminum Dutch Ovens

nothing wrong with old aluminium D.O.s wish I could find a few of the old sruare and rectangle ones!

newer Aluminium D.O.s tend to be thinner and smaller...

if you have worn your fingers to the bone and still want to get it "even cleaner"...and do not want to use chemicals...which can be problematic. Put lots of hot water in it and boil the heck out of it...then while still hotter than blazes...hold steady with D.O. glove and "scrub" with a paste made of baking soda using a cheap electric tooth brush (and if you have one- a dental water pick)...if nothing more you will have sterilized anything in the "taste pits"

and folks... old Aluminum D.O.s are fine...they can even make a short back packing trip more fun if your into cobblers or bread...they are great on canoe trips when you are cutting weight for portages!

Still love my Iron wear but wish I had some of the old Alum. D.O.s

anarchist

If you've already "scrubbed them to blazes", then they are already clean and there really is no need to clean them more. The "black stuff" in the pits (I'm assuming the cookware is pitting, small dings in the surface of the aluminum)and along the edges is not likely to be food particles, not after all this time. More likely, it's just oxidization (yes - Aluminum "rusts" (it's called Aluminum Oxide - just like Iron "rust" is called Iron Oxide) and this Aluminum Oxide hardens and serves to protect the surface of Metallic Aluminum. The surface of most aluminum cookware is treated to reduce oxidization but when pitting occurs that protection is reduced and the pits oxidize. You can try to get the oxidization out by boiling a mixture of vinegar and water (about 2 tablespoons vinegar to 1 quart water) in the dutch ovens, but that won't treat the surface and it will just oxidize over again. I'd leave it be - that black stuff is protecting your dutch ovens from further damage.

I'd also try to avoid cooking any tomato based sauces in the dutch ovens, unless you empty and clean the dutch oven right away after cooking - tomato sauces, and undissolved salts, are the most common causes of aluminum cookware pitting.

Calico

PS: For all those Star Trek geeks out there (I include myself in this), remember that scene from the movie Star Trek IV - The Voyage Home where Scotty gives out the formula for Transparent Aluminum and we all thought it was a fantasy idea? In 2004, US scientists working for GM developed a formula using Aluminum Oxide and Rare Earth Elements to create a strong glass called...Transparent Alumina (aka Transparent Aluminum or for Eamonn - Transparent Aluminium). Star Trek strikes again!

HEY WAIT A MINUTE!!!

YOU AIN'T HAD MAC AND CHEESE UNTIL YOU'VE HAD MY HOME-MADE MAC AND CHEESE :)

In my white sauce, I substitute extra virgin olive oil for the butter. I do have to add salt, some pepper, thyme, and oregano to overcome the olive oil.

I use lower-fat cheese, but do not use no-fat. Doesn't work.

I also add cheese into my white sauce as well as cheese as part of my top layer.

Use dry bread crumbs in olive oil, salt and pepper (instead of butter). Bake at 350 for 30 minutes and it's what my Mom made :)

John,

(drooling)

That sounds sooo good. Can you share your recipe with us? I'm sure you Mom wouldn't mind.

Actually its more for my kids (and the Scouts), as my wife & I are on a diet. I've lost a bit over 20 lbs in the last four weeks! Nutrisystem really works!

Ken K.

I have used both cast iron and aluminum dutch ovens. I find them both equally useful depending on the situation. I do not regard one over the other, they are both excellent cooking tools.

One thing one might want to consider with the aluminum (and it works eually well with cast iron) is replace the use of oil with bees wax. It will never go racid during long periods of storage, and works equally well to preserve the metals. I use the bees wax on older, heavier pitted cast iron and aluminum because it fills the holes and seals up any need to "further clean" older equipment. I do not worry about the outside of the items, but I do occasionally wax the outsides just to maintain protection just before long periods of storage.

The only disadvantage of using wax is that it is applied while the metal is hot enough to melt it. Other than that, just wipe it around with a paper towel just like you would oil.