I have heard of the Veteran Award before, and I just picked up the application yesterday. I wrote to my DE, and he said that youth time counts for this. I have to questions. How is this different than service stars? If youth time counts, then accurate records get fuzzy. I remember joining as a Bear, probably at fall round-up. I remember den meeting through the winter into spring. I remember Webeloes into summer till I quit. This gives me actual calander time about 8 months. But if you count registration time it could be shown as 2 years. Do I count the time of being active, or registered? At best I am in the 10 year bracket, so I would not have to apply to National Office to verify my records?

Back in the 40s and 50s, the Veteran patch would be worn on the sleeve of the uniform shirt. In increments of 5, 10, 15, 20, and 30 years. Now it''s just a lapel pin, not for uniform wear. AFAIK, it''s just a matter of filling out the form and buying the pin. What''s the point?

Yes it is just a matter of filling out the form and getting it approved by your council. The point is I''m proud of my Scouting connection and wear mine on my suit coat. Many people wear fraternal pins on civilian dress wear many don''t.

LongHaul

• 3 weeks later...

Gee... my husband received his 15yr Veteran Award a few years back. He didn't buy the pin, it was given to him along with a certificate of thanks or something like that. In any case, I didn't include his youth service time that I recall (I filled out the paperwork for him - it was a surprise award).

Regardless, he is very proud to wear that pin. It isn't "just a pin" for us - it's our family history... With Mom, Dad, 2 sons and 4 daughters - ALL having been SCOUTS, that pin means a lot.

Typically you count the time registered in units for the Veterans award. Since "active" is a nebulous term, and back in the day cub scouts NEVER did any cubbing in the summer, registration is the only constant.

working on my 30 year pin myself.

How in the world can you prove you were a Second Class Scout for like one year in 1969 BTW? It wasn't necessary for me to have included youth - my husband rated the 15 without the youth time and I had no way to prove it, so left it out.

For those of you that have them, how important is your pin to you?

Is it "just a matter of filling out the form and buying the pin. What''s the point?"

Or do you actually CARE that you have, rate, and wear the pin? (if you wear it)

Our old troop presented the veteran pins for adults during our once-a-year formal COH. On entering the troop, we entered in youth years and previous adult years into Troopmaster, so it was fairly easy to keep track of who hit the milestone years.

Personally, it's not something I wear, but the recognition is still appreciated.

How in the world can you prove you were a Second Class Scout for like one year in 1969 BTW? It wasn't necessary for me to have included youth - my husband rated the 15 without the youth time and I had no way to prove it, so left it out. For those of you that have them, how important is your pin to you? Is it "just a matter of filling out the form and buying the pin. What''s the point?" Or do you actually CARE that you have, rate, and wear the pin? (if you wear it)

My current 25 year pin is very important to me. It is for use on "civilian" clothes, but I do have the service stars on my scout uniform for the number of years I have been involved. The scouts in my troop notice the stars, and many realize that scouting is not just a "club" to put on college applications; some actually realize it can be a lifetime activity.

When I filled out my first veterans application, I found my original application when I joined Cub Scouts at age 8. I haven't left scouting since. Makes "keeping track of time" pretty easy...

• 1 month later...