OK, we all know that playing paintball is against the G2SS. Whether or not we agree with the prohibition is besides the point. It's not allowed; end of story.

BUT ...

At last night's PLC one of the PL's proposed a program on paintball. I pointed out that playing paintball was not allowed as a Scouting activity, and this fellow (an Eagle and ex-SPL) replied, "Oh, Mr. T., we're not going to PLAY paintball at all. We are going to have a program on different kinds of equipment, proper use of the equipment, safety, and things like that."

hmmm... thought I. Clever kid. "But it's still against the G2SS."

"Right," he replied, "but think of it like this. Parachuting is also against the G2SS and we would never have a troop activity that involved it. But we could have a program that demonstrated the equipment, how to fold a 'chute, how to land and roll, and other safety stuff for parachuting."

hmmm... thought I. Clever kid. Probably going to be a lawyer. "OK," says I, "but absolutely no pointing guns at anyone, loaded OR unloaded."

Good call? Or was I backed in to a corner by a 15 year old way smarter than his old SM? ;)

I think it's fair, and would allow the boys to better understand the G2SS rules. A short while ago someone mentioned shooting paintball at targets as an acceptable activity. While it may not be what they want, it may be a way of giving them part of it.

Probably the second item, Trev good buddy.

I wouldn't have a problem and EagleinKY has a good idea with respect to target shooting.

Another thought provoking moment might be a short discussion on why paintball is not an approved activity, eventhough it may not be anymore dangerous than, climbing, rafting, skiing, or other activities that are allowed by the BSA.

SA

Tell that young lad thank you for me! I have a group of bored older boys that have been dying to get paintball introduced as a troop activity. Of course since that isn't allowed at least this would give these older boys an opportunity to share their interest and knowledge with the rest of the troop. And who says they can't get together and go paintballing on a non-scouting outing?

Alpineer,

I just had a thought. Instead of the boys hunting each other and shooting each other, how about introducing tracking. It used to be taught in scouting. I don't know how easy it would be to find someone who can teach tracking. But if the boys learn to track, they can play a high level hide and seek game of trying to cover their tracks and trying to hunt their game. I have a feeling that if you take the gun and shooting element out of it, they won't be interested....and I think that is why the BSA does not allow it. Tracking could be fun and useful.

The G2SS states

Pointing any type of firearm (including paintball, dye, or lasers) at any individual is unauthorized. However, law enforcement departments and agencies using firearms in standard officer/agent training may use their training agenda when accompanied with appropriate safety equipment in the Law Enforcement Venturing program.

So, the only part of paintball that is banned is the type where individuals shoot each other, which is the most common. Paintball target shooting isn't prohibited. And the idea the Scout came up with is a great idea! Let us know how it goes!

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

Paintball, PAINTBALL? PAINT-BALL!

good gosh...I know there is an ethical problem or an unethical decision somewhere in here....let me keep reading.....LOL

power to the scouts! (and I HATE paintball!)

Anarchist

What a clever young man....

I like the idea of target shooting with paintballs, as long as it's not in violation of G2SS rules.

I also like SR540Beaver's idea of teaching tracking.

Just out of curiosity, do dart guns and disc guns (shoot small plastic discs) which are spring action (don't travel nearly as fast as paintballs) also disallowed under G2SS? When I was in college, we had a group that played "Patrol" ;) which was a game where teams hunted (tracked) each other with dart guns. The point of the game was to work on stealth and teamwork.

I was just thinking of Beaver's tracking suggestion. It's always more fun to have a way to "tag" someone who has been found; could dart guns be used for that (the ones we used were single shot, needed to be reloaded after each shot), or even water guns (assuming warm weather)?

I've never been completely clear whether this was solely a safety issue (in which case, water guns and even dart guns might be ok) or a philosophical issue of no pointing anything resembling a weapon at someone else (in which case, even water guns would be verboten).