My wife and I celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary yesterday.

Scouting has been a big part of our lives together (both being scout leaders for over a dozen years). Sometimes, scouting created tensions when the time and commitment involved took us away from each other and one or the other allowed jealousy to seep in...but overall, I really think it helped to bring us together. We both share stories and experiences from scouting that make us laugh, think, cry and rely on each other for support. I think we have passed the point of handling situations by asking each other...how should I?...and have moved onto asking...remember when? I think it would have been very difficult for me to be a scouter with all of the time and attention it demands without having a loving spouse that understands first hand what is involved by leading her own girl scout troop, cluster, etc., as well as being involved in the boys program.

How long have you'all been married?

Do you consider scouting a positive influence in your marriage?

Happy Anniversary!

Scouting's been great for our family. A family of 5, we all 5 are registered in the BSA or Girl Scouts or both. During the Cub years, we looked forward to fun together, particularly on the outings. Now we've begun something new: camping as a family. It is Scouting that got us to do this, and the time together is fantastic. 15 years of marriage, not quite 5 in Scouting as adults, and it's an activity that we can share as husband-wife, but also with our children.

CubmasterFred and I have been married 10 years in January. Our youngest son will sign up in April bringing us to 4 registered in our family (immediate, my mother and both of his parents are registered leaders serving in some capacity or another). My son(s) are 4th generation scouts. Their great grandfather was in the troop that Theodore Roosevelt started. How cool is that! We too have our ups and downs when it comes to time spent with the program. At least we always have something to talk (or argue ;)) about.

Carol

21 years last June. We've been involved for about 8 years now. In cubs, my wife was Cubmaster, I was CC. Now, I'm SM with both of my boys in Boy Scouts. My daughter is in Girl Scouts but thinks that they're wimps because around here, the Girl Scouts never do any camping or much outdoors stuff at all. She can wait to be old enough to join a Venture crew.

Yeah, BSA, and Girl Scouts, and PTA, are constant sources of conversation.

Well, I am at 8 yrs as a registered leader. My wife is at 6. I don't think I can that it has been a completely positive experience on our marriage. My wife and I tend to see things from opposite sides at times. As CC and CM I often had to handle issues more delicately than she would like me to. But in the end we both realize what a positive influence we are having on our three boys and all other boys in our pack.

cubbingcarol put it very well - "always something to talk or argue about"

Jerry

Happy Anniversary, SP!

A few months ago we celebrated 25 yrs by evacuating for a hurricane. That's one bonding experience we won't forget!

My bride has served as GS leader and Den leader for #1 of 3 sons, but that was a lot of years ago and I haven't been able to get her active since.

My scouting has been the subject of some rather unpleasant (but not undeserved) discussions through the years.

Can you imagine the gall - when our 2nd child was born, she wanted me to resign my position as an AsstSM? Seems she had a problem with me going camping with other people's kids while she was stuck at home with 2 of ours! OK - she has a point - I put it on hold for a few years until I could claim I'm doing it for the benefit of our kids.

She still doesn't exactly encourage me to take on new projects or go on every campout, but she has seen and appreciates the difference Scouting has clearly made in our boys' lives. (Sorry - I can't make the same claim for daughter's experience in GS. I'll probably be paying for therapy in years ahead because I didn't put the same amount of effort into helping make that program run better.)

I came from a scouting family - parents and younger brothers all very active. My wife came from a sporting family where, if you're not playing or coaching, you're expected to be on the sidelines for every practice and game. I try to do both and it doesn't always work well at all.

I guess I have to say scouting is not a positive influence in my marriage, but it is a positive influence for my family as a whole.

To borrow a line from Barry,

I love this scouting stuff (even if she doesn't)!

-mike

Here's a twist. I got back into scouts after my divorce. I've been back for almost 4 years now.

My daughter is in her third year of brownies, and my son will be starting tigers in a few years. Both of my kids have logged in some hours in 2004 at Summer Camp when I was working as Aquatics Director. They've even been to a few family functions and really look forward to them.

Scouting has kept me on the straight and narrow, brought me back to church, and is an important part of my family's life.

Cary P

22 years and counting.

Over the past 11 years Scouting has been expanding to fill my available time ;) and the wife has graciously been at my side all along (she's even a troop committee member). Of course, I work hard at remembering to provide her with equal time.

As with purcelce (Hey Cary!), I too credit Scouting with bringing me back to church and strengthening my family.

Happy Anniversary! My husband and I celebrated 19 years last September. I've been involved with Scouts for 12 years, Mike signed on about 5 years ago. In the early days when our oldest was in Cub Scouts, Mike wasn't too keen on all the time I spent preparing for Den Meetings, then Pack meetings (as Cubmaster). I think he would say the worst years were the five years I spent as Camp Director for Cub Scout Resident Camp. Cub Stuff all over my house, constant phone calls, out of pocket expenses. But, that's when he decided to get involved and signed on as an Asst. DL for our youngest son. A decision he said was one of the best he ever made.

Now we are both at the Boy Scout level - me as SM, he as ASM. He enjoys working with the Scouts and leaving the administrative, counseling, discipline, etc. etc. etc. to me.

We don't always agree with the methods I use to get the Scouts motivated or some of the judgements I've made during Scoutmaster Conferences, but we've both always enjoyed lively debate and Scouting just gives us one more topic to talk about.

Looking forward to many more years of Scouting fun!

I have a picture of my girlfriend admiring my new Eagle badge at my Eagle COH in 1970 when we were both 16...she was a Sr Girl Scout (First Class) at the time. We first met in Lutheran confirmation class at age 12. This past summer, we celebrated our 30th anniversary with our two sons, aged 27 and 23 and an intimate group of about 200 friends and family. Also in attendance were several of my scouting buddies and the wife of my late Explorer Post advisor, who is in her 70s. She was forced into service as an associate advisor when the Post went co-ed in 1971, and they both were awarded the Silver Beaver.

My wife got into PTA, then went back to work as a nurse, and I stayed with scouting. I proudly wear 31 years' worth of yellow, green, red and blue service stars.

25 years last March!

My bride has been an ardent supporter of my and my son's scouting activities over the past 3 years. She loves how Scouts emphasizes character and leadership development, and has even counseled my daughter that she 'must marry an Eagle Scout.'

My son had no interest in Cubs, but when he told me he wanted to try Scouts, I was very pleased. As I'm sure is true with most of us, I was standing too close to the whirlpool and got sucked in... first as a committee member, then ASM, now SM, and I should say, I was GLADLY sucked in. I come from an active scouting family - Dad (God rest his soul ) was Cubmaster, Committee Chair, ASM, SM, etc.. Mom was a Den Leader in Cubs and always a great supporter. Both Brother and I made Eagle and have our kid(s) now in Scouts.

The only problem now, is that I find myself day dreaming about being able to make a living doing this full-time..... :-)

Happy Anniversary everyone. Just got our 16th this past Thanksgiving and we are still on our honeymoon! This may sound corny, but we still hold hands while we sleep! (alright ... on a count of three ... ahhhwwwwwwwwww)!

She indicated to me once upon a time ... "since you did not give me a girl, this scouting stuff is all yours!" (Lovingly of course!) Yes, she does support me and my three sons through the years ... so far.

Just as MikeF and Barry, "I [and my sons] love this scouting stuff (even if she doesn't)!"

1Hour