Happy Thanksgiving

I just want to wish all of our Forum friends a very Happy Thanksgiving. I am thankful we have this forum where we can come together in the Scouting spirit and exchange ideas, opinions, suggestions, and offer assistance.

A great holiday to you and your families!

Ah the Turkey, pork and sauerkraut, mashed potatos..............

Wishing all a blessed holiday......we have a lot to be thankful for......May the great master of all scouts look down upon your families,friends,troop,and have a great holiday

NEVER FORGET 9-11-01

Happy Holidays to all - this year we are having an extended family Thanksgiving - family, in-laws, honorary nephews, the whole shbang.

Our family sends its best wishes for a safe and joyous holiday season to your family too.

Michelle & the gang from Maine

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. I don't write much on here but I do check the boards everyday. You all have helped me out a great deal. My family will be spending Thanksgiving in Ireland this year so we will miss out on the turkey. Oh well, we can always make up for it at XMAS. Again everyone have a great holiday.

Julie

jteamnmj

We are going "Home" to Ireland in June.

Some pals of mine are attending the Thanksgiving Service at Saint Paul's Cathedral in London

http://www.stpauls.co.uk/page.aspx?theLang=001lngdef&pointerid=140257zZlArIiwvktkfMbdU2XuqOT6HX

I'm staying home with Her That Must Be Obeyed, #1 Son and the dogs. Rory has called dips on a big helping of Turkey.

OJ has pals coming over to watch football, so the house will be full of kids and dogs.

Who could ask for more?

I see that a lot of the stores are open. I hope that no one goes to them!! Maybe that way we can send a message that we don't want them open!!

Happy Thanksgiving.

Eamonn.

A Happy and Bountiful Thanksgiving to all of you.

While we may disagree on many things here, there are even more things that we can agree on....

For all its warts, the Scouting program is still a wonderful way for our youth to learn character, teamwork, outdoor living, and all that other stuff we do.

Regardless of what side of the aisle you happen to be on, and despite it's problems, the U.S. is still WAY ahead of whoever is in 2nd place.

And a few more things I think we can agree on....

There's nothing like dutch oven lasagna.

Mess kit bowls aren't big enough to hold a fair share of cobbler.

Deep fried turkey!

No-stick cookware is a gift directly from the heavens.

As a SM, there's nothing like the feeling you get when you're at the end of an outing, and realize that you really didn't have to do much of anything! :)

As a SM, the feeling you get when you get to the point that your Scouts tend to congregate around you during quiet moments, and actually look happy to see you :)

And of course, I think we can all agree that the Cubs will be in the Series in 2006 :)

Americans celebrate Thanksgiving the fourth Thursday in November. Canadians celebrate in much the same way only during the second Monday in October. Eamonn, would you give us a brief synopsis of a UK Thanksgiving?

Other than the church service at Saint Paul's and the celebrations at and around American military bases Thanksgiving goes almost un-noticed in the UK.

Most of the holidays were Church Holidays. Many have been renamed and moved:

New Year's Day,Good Friday,Easter Monday,Early May Bank Holiday,Spring Bank Holiday,Summer Bank Holiday,Christmas Day,Boxing Day.

Bank holidays were first introduced by the Bank Holidays Act of 1871, which designated four holidays in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, and five in Scotland. These were Easter Monday, the first Monday in August, the 26th December, and Whit Monday (England, Wales and Northern Ireland) and New Year's Day, Good Friday, the first Monday in May, the first Monday in August, and Christmas Day (Scotland). In England, Wales and Northern Ireland, both Christmas Day and Good Friday were traditional days of rest and Christian worship (as were Sundays) and did not need to be included in the Act.

Two additional days were subsequently appointed in Northern Ireland: St Patrick's Day (17 March) by a special Act of Parliament in 1903 and 12 July (Anniversary of the Battle of the Boyne in 1690), by the Governor of Northern Ireland in 1926.

The 1871 Act was repealed 100 years later and its provisions incorporated into the Banking and Financial Dealings Act 1971, which remains the statutory basis for bank holidays. The following changes were introduced both then and subsequently:

1971 - Whit Monday in England, Wales and Northern Ireland (which could fall anywhere between 11 May and 14 June) was formally replaced by a fixed spring holiday on the last Monday in May. The last Monday in August was formally made a bank holiday in place of the first Monday in August in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. In both cases, this followed a trial period of the new arrangements between 1965 and 1970.

1973 - 2 January was created an additional bank holiday in Scotland by the 1971 Act. However, the provision did not come into effect until 1973.

1974 - New Year's Day became an additional bank holiday in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, and Boxing Day became an additional bank holiday in Scotland.

1978 - the first Monday in May in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, and the last Monday in May in Scotland, became additional bank holidays.

Bank holidays designated since the 1971 Act are appointed each year by Royal Proclamation. The Anniversary of the Battle of the Boyne bank holiday is proclaimed annually by the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland.

The river Boyne runs through our family farm. In fact the bridge where the battle was fought is less than half a mile from the farm (Not far from Newgrange Caves, which are really worth the visit.)

A few years back a truck load of Bushmills whiskey turned over spilling the entire load into the Boyne. Now that was something to give thanks for!!

Eamonn

FORWARDED

In the pre-Thanksgiving rush, we have received an early weather report from our IN-HOUSE WEATHER REPORTERS.

Turkeys will thaw in the morning, then warm in the oven to an afternoon high near 190 degrees F. The kitchen will turn hot and humid, and if you bother the cook, be ready for a severe squall or cold shoulder.

During the late afternoon and evening, the cold front of a knife will slice through the turkey, causing an accumulation of one to two inches on plates. Mashed potatoes will drift across one side while cranberry sauce creates slippery spots on the other. Please pass the gravy.

A weight watch and indigestion warning have been issued for the entire area with increased stuffiness around the beltway. During the evening, the turkey will diminish and taper off to leftovers, dropping to a low of 34 degrees F in the refrigerator.

Looking ahead to Friday and Saturday, high pressure to eat sandwiches will be established. Flurries of leftovers can be expected both days with a 50 percent chance of scattered soup late in the day. We expect a warming trend where soup develops. By early next week, eating pressure will be low as the only wish left will be the bone.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!!

ronvo