New leader AND starting a troop from scratch

Hello!

I am the committee chair for a brand new troop. We have 8 boys, of which 1 is a registered scout and 1 is a Cub Scout moving into Boy Scouts.

Some ideas I need help on are:

1. A basic troop equipment list (We are in Wisconsin if that helps - and we have NO equipment).

2. A feel for how much fundraisng to do. The scoutmaster wants to have fundraisng once a week (not a typo). I know that established troops usually fundraise 2X year. I realize we may have to do a little more as a new troop, but boys shouldn't equate scouts with "another fundraising activity."

3. Many of our boys come from poor families. While their dues are paid for through our organization (we're an LDS Troop), is it appropriate to have fundraising for boys to purchase individual equipment such as sleeping bags and such?

4. Any tips or advice for a committee chair. Thank you in advance :-)

Capella, welcome!!

There are several good resources for starting up new Units. You didn't ask for that kind of information, instead you listed fairly specific questions - but if you haven't read the available info, don't hesitate to ask for those resource names, as well.

I wish you well, though I won't try to offer too much help. I'm a Cub Scouter, and your questions are better answered by Boy Scouters, particularly those knowledgable about LDS Scouting.

Good Luck,

jd

Capella - Welcome

Congrats on your new troop. Wish you lots of luck. While I'm new to LDS Scouting myself, I am not new to starting new units. Back when I was a Unit Commissioner I helped start several new Troops. (Before moving to Utah) My first piece of advice is seek out the help of your Unit Commissioner they will have a miriad of sources and contacts that will be invaluable. If you don't know who this is contact your District Exec or District Commissioner (council office should be able to assist you with thier numbers).

Second IMO trying to do a weekly fundraiser is a bit much (just in the orginizing of it all not to mention the issue you raised with the boys). I would try and keep fundraising to a max on 1 per month and less if you can.

I see no problem with the boys working to buy thier own personal equipment however it has to be managed properly (i.e. the troop sets up an account for each scout etc..etc..)

Thier are probably much more knowledgable people here on the forums but thought I'd pop in my two cents worth.

James

In my humble opinion, the very first piece of equipment you should buy is a first aid kit.......... make one up from scratch in a small plastic tackle or tool box....no rust!

I do not think it would be a good idea to fund raise for individual needs....you are opening yourself up for a lot of conflict...such as having parents up in arms over who is more deserving......kids upset because he got so and so and i did not.....

Many good lists on the net as far as equipment for your troop.....tents,ground clothes, stoves, lanterns, cook kits.............much of which you could put together any any good flea market.......

I admit i do not know much about LDS and what fundraising is allowed.... but fundraising every week is a bit out of ordinary.... try maybe once every quarter according to the seasons for example.....holiday greenery in the winter....... spaghetti dinner in the fall etc.

As far as CC our district offers committee chairman training...............also check with your local area troops to see if they have gently used equipment that they may want to part with

CR, I feel once a week fundraising is quite excessive. I would guess the boys would burn out on this quickly. Does the LDS church not kick in quite a bit of money to help buy camping equipment?

Fundraising for individual equipment is against the law if you are raising it under the impression it is for Boy Scouts or your church. Any funds that are raised under this non-profit status must remain with the troop or church. If you need a gear list email me and I will send you the one we use, or there are many on the net you could tailor to your needs. Most important when starting a new troop, recruit as many willing adults as you can, trust me I know. Good luck!

Congratualtions

Having worked with both LDS and non-LDS troops, I think you need to get all of your leadership (youth and adult) through basic training.

If you are in the new Northern Star Council, they are offering an LDS frindly, no Sunday camping, Wood Badge course this fall, for those that qualify, and offered an NYLT course that was LDS friendly last summer and may do so again next year.

Check with your Bishop and stake on fund raising. What is permitted seems to vary by Ward or Stake. There may be some stake or ward money devoted to setting up a troop since this is the young men's program. In fact, a good discussion with the Bishop may help avoid some issues in the future. Some seem to want to have a lot of involvement and control and others may let the troop function more on their own.

When I first became a commissioner and had some LDS troops, I read as much as I could about how the church works with scouts. Check this website LDSScouting.org and the church literature on scouting. It is fairly well written and, though a little vague at times, is fairly useful.

Good luck

Welcome to the forums Capella!

Certainly a fundraiser per week is excessive. I would think that wouldn't last long, or your parents would walk, one or the other.

As for an equipment list, start with the basics. Do you need tents? Stoves? dining fly? cook gear? See what your families may have that can be used as temporary "loaner" equipment until the troop gets up and going.

You can do fundraisers where the proceeds (or a portion thereof) goes into individual scout accounts. Some troops allow scouts to spend this money on gear. While it can be a challenge to administrate, it's worth it if your guys can't afford the equipment on their own.

Also, check with other troops and see if they've got old stuff to give away. They might be able to help you out. Also, if you have any connections with a civic organization, they may be able to help you get started. For example, we helped a local civic club cleanup after their big pancake breakfast fundraiser, and they gave us $300. Not a lot, but it helps get you up and going.

CR,

Boy Scouting is a game with a purpose. One of the ways to achieve that purpose is go outdoors. These guys are poor but do not need to be reminded weekly; most likely they are not poor in spirit and have found ways to go outside in the coldest weather already. Given insightful information and helpful ways to make their own equipment, it can be inexpensive and fun to do. Remind the SM that patience is an important personal skill for assisting boys in achieving leadership skills, another BSA method, so accepting them as they are is a good first step. Given good program, the boys will find many ways to make or purchase equipment both second-hand and from inexpensive sources.

Welcome,

FB

Capella,

Best of luck to you on the new troop. I don't know about Wisconsin, but in the south, people purchase pine straw (pine needles) to go around their shrubs and flowers. The straw looks great when first laid out but needs to be replaced at least once a year, sometimes twice. We pre-sell pine straw as a fundraiser and when our shipment arrives, in a trailer, the people come pick them up or we deliver to their house for a little extra. We're done in one day. We make about a dollar or more per bale and with about 1500 bales per truck, you do the math. Not bad for one day. We're going to two trucks this year. Businesses also buy from us. Good luck.

Capella,

First off, WELCOME...

Now with that said, do you have a copy of the LDS Scouting Manual? Talk to your ward clerk. You'll find that in LDS units fundraising more often that 1/year will get your Stake President excited (Polictically Correct speak, for UPSET, as it's rather clear)

The idea of having a first aid kit first, is a great one. Many people will tell you that you have to have matching tents, patrol boxes, matching dishes, etc is VERY important. Out here in California, we would say "Huh?" You can run a nice troop without any of this nice things.

There is really no reason not to attend New Leader Essientals, be sure to take your Young Men's President with you, and a member of the Bishopric. (You might have to remind them that there are many leaders will tell them that 80% of their time should be spent with the youth.)

If you have young men that can't get uniforms, can't go to camp, can't do the young men's program, that there is money (if not on the ward/branch level then it's there on a stake/district one) to help.

I think you may now notice from all the specifics that you have someone out here, that knows the program. Let's just leave it as I'm an un-named source that knows exactly what he's talking about, OK? Good luck, and let us know how it goes. You'll have what you need, just talk to your Bishop/Branch President, OK?

• 2 weeks later...

I have to ask...where is your Chartered Organization in this process?? Have you asked them for any help?? It seems to me that they should be helping you to get some equipment! That's part of what they are supposed to be doing for the troop. What about other local troop? I would get up and request help from them when you go to your Roundtable! Many troops have extra things laying around not being used that they might be able to let you have or at least loan you for the short term basis. Does your district do a newsletter? Put a request in it! Many troops also have a uniform cupboard where they have donated outgrown uniforms that Scouts can use instead of having to buy new ones. Please also contact Coleman because they will often give excellent discounts on tents to Scout troops. There is help out there..think outside the box!

Sue M.