Where is the Forum For SCOUTS?

I see a lot of adults posting about how Boy Led their Troops are, but where is the Scouter.Com forum on which Scouts can post?

I'd really like to hear what the Scouts would say in forums like this! While Scouts do post here occasionally, don't you think they deserve to have their own forum?

Seattle Pioneer

"don't you think they deserve to have their own forum"

I was not aware that anyone "deserved" a forum, or that anybody was obligated to start a website. If a discussion group existed for dog owners would cat owners "deserve" to have their own? Is the dog website host obligated to start a hamster website?

If a person would like to create a forum for scouts aren't they are free to do so? Aren't you free to do so? What makes the host of this site more obligated to do it than you?

Bob,

That was a bit harsh.

I quote from the Scouter.com FAQ. "Have a suggestion for a new forum? Do you have an idea for a new forum that could be added? Simply email the administrator with your proposal, or post your idea in the SCOUTER Forums to get open feedback.

Who here has the ability to take action on Seattle's question Beaver?

Why post a question of that tenor to us when the only person who has the answer or the capability to act on it is the host, and Terry is easily available. This is no different then those who complain about the uniform but never send their solutions to national for consideration.

Bob,

Perhaps you didn't read what I quoted from the FAQ. You are correct that Terry would be the one to set it up. However, Terry's FAQ says to either submit the idea to the admin OR post your idea in the SCOUTER Forums to get open feedback. That is exactly what Terry suggested and what Seattle did. I don't understand why you took the tenor you did over following procedure and asking a simple question.

Gee Bob'

What ever happened to a scout is courteous, kind, cheerful, and helpful? Seattle had a legitimate question which SR answered very well, this young man was looking for guidance not ridicule. I hope you don't talk to other scouts this way when they ask you a question. Too much coffee is right.

Seattle, do as SR suggests and contact Terry he can guide you in the right direction.

It is because of the phrase "don't you think they deserve to have their own forum" as if the lack of the forum was because the scouts were "undeserving".

Does anyone else believe that the absence of a scouts forum was a deliberate sight toward scouts as Seattle suggests? If Seattle's purpose was to suggest a scout forum be started then why not just suggest that? Why ask if we thought they were "deserving" of it?

Backpacker,

Your personal attacks are expected and unnecessary.

• Administrators

It's an interesting idea, for sure. We've certainly thought about how to have a forum JUST for Scouts before, but I don't believe the right answer has come to us just yet.

Of course, Scouts are encouraged to post within the forums, and many do... 50% of the forum moderator volunteers are Scouts! ;-)

But I agree that a specific area limited JUST to Scouts posts might make for a more free spirited discussion among the Scouts (without frustration or intimidation from adults that might jump into the middle of things).

How might this work best? Ideas?

Should this section only allow "Scouts" to post and read? (i.e. should we do our best to create a private community where the adults neither post nor read?). That would be a real challenge technically, and would still rely on the trustworthiness of people registering here more than anything else.

Maybe a "password protected" set of forums for youth only, where the password has to be requested by emailing in and "promising on your honor" that you're a Scout?

Of course, we would still allow a few adults to monitor the discussions, since we would want to make sure we were not creating a "danger zone" for Scouts, and we probably would still want to limit participation to those Scouts 13 to 18 years old.

Other thoughts? Do we have some youth reading now that might be interested in stepping up to "moderate" a youth section?

TERRY HOWERTON

I'd go for that:)

While i do enjoy being able to converse with both Scouts and Scouters, etc having a section for Scouts only wouldnt be a bad idea.

Any way you can make it work, that'd be great;)

And I'll be around to help control them all!;)