It is getting mighty expensive!

While I think some door-to-door selling is good for kids, I can understand why some would not like it. It can be especially difficult since every kids' sports league, public school, and church group has taken to fund raising in this manner. Maybe the solution is as simple as saying, "Rather than nickel and dime people everytime we have an event, your annual part of your Pack/Troop dues are $xxx worth of popcorn sales (or whatever) you can either sell the popcorn valued at that much, or you can contribute it yourself." Those who do not contribute to the general fund, are responsible for their own camping/activity fees. Perhaps you could 'require' participation in one of 2 or 3 options for fundraisers, that way some who just cannot or will not go door-to-door could help out with a car wash or kiosk-sales. Rather than overt rules, you could simply have success goals that mean that those boys that sell over certain goals get their camp or activity covered by the unit.

We do not have Scout accounts either, but the more I hear about them, the more I like the idea.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have 2 different fundraisers when the flyer is worded a certain way. With our candy fundraiser, each boy is "required" to sell to boxes of candy (52 candy bars in each box) or the family can donate $25.00. For our comedy club fundraiser (a great adult night out!) each boy has to sell 2 tickets at $30.00 each (which included the show, dinner & soft drinks) or the family donated $25.00. I'm not sure if I have these worded exactly like on the flyers but I hope you get the gist of what I'm saying! For the candy fundraiser there are awards given out to the boy who sold the most candy in each den & then a prize for the boy who sold the most in the pack! Needless to say the boys who received a prize were very happy, especially my son Mark who sold 6 boxes of candy (that's 312 candy bars & no I didn't buy them all!) :D He won for his den & the pack & he practically ran up to get his prize when it was announced that he won for the pack! I took Mark around in his Scout uniform & we go to all the houses on my parents' block & the next block & 99% of the people buy at least 1 bar, some bought 5 at a time!

I do the same for my daughter Lori when she has to sell Girl Scout cookies. They know they have to do their fair share. It also helps that some of the people on my parents' block have lived there a long time & knew me when I was a child!

We also do a car wash fundraiser & not everyone does that but it sure is a lot of fun! We just would find out the times that they could be there so we had boys & parents there for the whole time. Usually they were there for about an hour or 2. The boys have a great time trying to soak the CM after he's squirted them with the hose! Of course that's when we're waiting for cars to be washed! The CM & I had great "water fights" when there were no cars to be washed & we were totally drenched! I was told I was a good sport about this, I didn't mind getting wet because a lot of the other moms didn't want to get wet at all!

My kids don't complain about going door to door & as I said, I go with them. It's not like when I was in 6th grade & selling Girl Scout cookies for 50 cents a box (back in 1969) & could go around by myself!

I just think that all of the boys should do their fair share of fundraising. We had some parents question what the money was being used for & then the treasurer printed up where the money goes. They understood a little better. I tell my kids that nothing's free in this world except my love for them.

Again, good luck in getting a higher percentage of boys participating in fundraising.

Judy

DANGER!DANGER! Will Robinson, DANGER!

just to be a spoiled sport...

Gopherjudy posts " I took Mark around in his uniform...and 99% bought..."

The uniform is only approved for fund raisers while selling the majestic, the wonderful, the spectacular, the BSA approved ...POP CORN...or have the rules been relaxed?

Dr. Smith oops I mean anarchist ;) is there really such a ruling? Whenever my kids have a door to door fundraiser they wear their uniforms or when they're standing outside a store like my daughter's cookie booth sale, they wear their uniform. If there is such a rule that the boys can only wear their uniform for popcorn I've never heard of it! I'll go back to my gopher hole right now! LOL!! :D

Judy

The rules for fundraising are on the back of the Unit Fund Raising Application which must be approved by your Council prior to any fund raising activity. Wearing of uniforms while selling anything other than BSA approved items (usually just Trails End Popcorn or Scout Show tickets) is prohibited. The excuse I've heard is that if units sell a product that proves faulty or tainted (in the case of food products), BSA doesn't want the liability or to be identified with products that they have not approved.

Scoutldr & anarchist,

I had no idea about that. We don't do the popcorn fundraiser, I asked & was told that it was optional. I personally think candy would sell better than popcorn but then again I am a chocoholic! :D

Judy

GJ,

I have a Brownie and a Cub as well. The only reason I think the cookies sell better is that people who want to buy something only have to come up with $3. The cheapest popcorn is $7. I know it is not a big difference really, but I think

Packsaddle,

I know, I was a kid when Lost in Space was on! I knew that's what the robot said but wasn't the robot Dr. Smiths'? I was trying to make a joke & that was the best I could come up with! :) Actually, my jokes are lost in space!

Judy

Torveaux,

Are the prices for the popcorn different for different areas? I know that the we sell the GS cookies for $3.50 a box & someone told me that they paid $4.25 a box in either Maine or Connecticut. I'll have to ask the CM about getting approval for wearing the uniform for fundraising. I don't think Mark would have done well with the candy fundraiser if I took him around & he said he's doing this as a fundraiser for his Cub Scout Pack & he wasn't in his uniform, people wouldn't believe him. To tell you the truth if a boy came to my door fundraising for the Scouts & I didnt know him & he wasn't in uniform, I don't think I'd believe him & probably wouldn't buy from him. I'll have to ask.

Judy

I knew the GS cookies had variable pricing (and cookie options) depending upon Region and Council. If I remember right, I think the paperwork said the Troops could even modify the price, but I'm not really sure if that was right.

I really don't know if there are differences in popcorn prices.

That is one of those things that we don't often think about, but is really relevant. The economies of NYC and LA are much different than in the Great Plains or the Heartland. It would make sense that there be a bit of a difference.

I am glad to see some parents still insist their children do their own selling. I used to hate seeing the GS moms come to the office with the cookie list. I would always buy my cookies from the first Scout to actually come to my door (until I made my own Brownies) :) . If the project is merely a fundraiser, don't pretend it is the girl doing the selling. My daughter sold 116 boxes door-to-door and to relatives via telephone. She sold them, we did not. (she is 6). It was great to see the difference in our son from last year to this year. He only went to a few neighbors last year (those we knew well). This year he eagerly went to any house within walking distance.

Anarchist wrote " The uniform is only approved for fund raisers while selling the majestic, the wonderful, the spectacular, the BSA approved ...POP CORN..."

Scoutldr wrote "Wearing of uniforms while selling anything other than BSA approved items (usually just Trails End Popcorn or Scout Show tickets) is prohibited."

Both of which I believe are incorrect. Wearing the Scout uniform or using the name and images of scouting for the purpose of raising money, without permission of the council scout executive, is prohibited.

The SE as the legal representative of the BSA will normally approve scout sponsored products and events and non-brand name products and events.

For instance the council will normally approve a pancake and sausage breakfast but not a Pillsbury Pancake and Jimmy Dean Sausage breakfast. No unit or unit representative has the authority to lend the BSA image and name to the sponsorship of a brand name product or event. Such approval must come from the BSA.

BW

(This message has been edited by Bob White)

BW as always is closer to the mark perhaps than I was...Council is the yea or nay sayer rather than the Irving boyos....

However looking at the back of my Council fund raiser approval form it clearly states that 'the uniform may be worn for Council sponsored product sales programs (read popcorn) and scouting shows, suppers and similar events.' It further states that 'if a commercial product is to be sold it will be sold on its own merits and without reference to the needs of scouting.'

Last year when we tried to sell wreaths and candy bars we were told 'no uniforms' twice...

so just be careful out there boys and girls...