Discontinued OA bolo tie...another step in the wrong direction BSA.

Its a wonder what shop decision makers do at the BSA.  Seems the OA bolo tie is discontinued.  This is not a positive, but rather a negative for any future arrowmen (loose term).  On-line Scoutshop only shows 6 bolos available, 3 are commissioner ones.  They do carry expensive Osprey backpacks and expensive knives no adult would risk taking on a campout.  Seems the days of scouts getting national-branded gear and items is in the past.  Shame as I remember when every scout had a BSA mess kit, canteen, Camillus or Ulster knife, and a vit'l kit.   Old timers had the red wool coats (still available) and campaign hat. SMH at how Scouting has become a rich-kid game and scouts rely on cheap-quality, new stuff, or buy "vintage" items to get what they need.

• Like 1

As a former National Supply employee, I can tell you first hand that most folks working for them have little to no experience in the program. I was part of a pilot program because I had the experience they needed.  EVERY. SINGLE. DECISION. WAS. QUESTIONED. BY . THE. BOSS! (Major emphasis). We had merchandise we did not need, and not enough merchandise that was needed. I routinely told them stuff that was coming down the line would be a waste of time and money, and was right.

Sadly the same thing happens today. I have heard a lot of complaints about the women's uniforms not fitting. All yo need to do is look at the designer, and her bio with no outdoor experience. Marketing folks who have no idea about the product. And I can go on.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I have always wanted a good and dependable set of BSA labeled suspenders.  Never seen any, but I would think they might be a good seller.  When I was still backpacking before the seasoning had stopped me I always wore a set of wide red suspenders to keep the pack from pushing my waist clothing down.  Also worked well with day hikes.  Better yet, think about a well designed pair of BSA logo Lederhosen knock off.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, skeptic said:

I have always wanted a good and dependable set of BSA labeled suspenders.  Never seen any, but I would think they might be a good seller.  When I was still backpacking before the seasoning had stopped me I always wore a set of wide red suspenders to keep the pack from pushing my waist clothing down.  Also worked well with day hikes.  Better yet, think about a well designed pair of BSA logo Lederhosen knock off.

bavaria-trachten-lederhosen-lederhosen-men-short-green-30889098641526.thumb.jpg.5f02b4ce5574eec00dc002126e93c81b.jpg

I would ROCK these! LOL

• Upvote 2
3 hours ago, AwakeEnergyScouter said:

Time for a REI x BSA collab? 😄

REI will not partner with BSA because of our shooting sports program. There are also other differences, but the shooting sports is a big one. None of their partners have anything to do with shooting sports. Why you no longer see ALPS Mountaineering sold by REI. 

Edited by Eagle94-A1
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

REI will not partner with BSA because of our shooting sports program. There are also other differences, but the shooting sports is a big one. None of their partners have anything to do with shooting sports. Why you no longer see ALPS Mountaineering sold by REI. 

BTW, the Newspeak on this is "Range and Target Sports"  (RATS?) watch for the change to creep in over time.

https://www.ncacbsa.org/shooting-sports/

On 2/29/2024 at 5:23 PM, Eagle94-A1 said:

REI will not partner with BSA because of our shooting sports program

Well, LL Bean supports shooting sports. 🙂

• Upvote 2