More than 80 scouts sent to hospital from heat exhaustion at World Jamboree opening ceremony

2 minutes ago, RememberSchiff said:

Too Long, Didn't Read.

I guess it is all relative. At 44 pages in that format, the WSJ Guidelines are half the length of my son's Eagle Project Workbook.

Here is the same text, without pictures and copious white-space - 15 pages.

https://members.scout.org/sites/default/files/media-files/WOSM_WSJGuidelines_EN 2016.pdf

I meant it was probably TLDR for the Jamboree Planning Staff 😜 

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I suppose if a NCAP advance team had seen this cache of water guns, the US contingent would have stayed state-side. https://25wsjnewsroom.imweb.me/74/?idx=15972542&bmode=view

Wow, the scouts run afoul of a bird sanctuary. So much irony to choose from.

And the weather is entirely predictable. It is near the height of cyclone season in the Northern Hemisphere. Look at recent history: https://www.worlddata.info/asia/south-korea/typhoons

Posted Images

8/10/2023 From Stars & Stripes:

Typhoon Khanun is expected to pass ...about 30 miles east of Osan Air Base and Camp Humphreys on Thursday afternoon and evening. Both were in typhoon readiness condition one, with 57 mph winds expected within 12 hours.

Some services in Humphreys, such as passport issuance and driver testing, were operating with limited staff, according to the base’s official Facebook page.

Nonessential military vehicles were prohibited from traveling on Humphreys roads and drivers were advised to use caution.

https://www.stripes.com/theaters/asia_pacific/2023-08-10/khanun-lan-typhoon-tropical-storm-japan-korea-11001954.html

Outdoor events for Jamboree Scouts canceled due to typhoon

"All outdoor events prepared for Scouts participating in the 25th World Scout Jamboree were replaced with indoor activities on Thursday, as Typhoon Khanun, accompanied by heavy rain and strong winds, passes through the Korean Peninsula."

https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2023/08/356_356785.html

Edited by RememberSchiff

Somewhere, there is a Korean civic organization saying "I told you so."

Organizers of the Jamboree would have been well aware of weather dangers. The documents of the organizing committee list the readiness against the extreme heat wave and inclement risks from storms and typhoon. The representative of a local civic group three years ago called the idea of tenting out on a reclaimed swath of land as plain crazy, because such a location turns extremely humid after rains — and after the steam rises from the wetland under the scorching sun. Defiant bureaucrats claimed they would plant trees and build greenery tunnels to create shades. They promised sufficient restrooms and shower booths, but they did not keep their promises. The venue was tree- and shade-less. Shower booths and toilets were slack and short. Typhoon shelters were loosely designated in nearby school gyms. There were no specifics on exactly where the 40,000-plus scouters should sleep, rest and clean upon evacuation. The visitors eventually had to be relocated across the country due to a typhoon forecast.

(...)

A K-pop extravaganza is being readied in Seoul in hopes to make amends for the sufferings in Saemangeum. We hope global youths at least can return home with one memorable experience. Still, an idol-studded concert can hardly make up for all the mistakes. Nature and brotherhood are the scouting spirit, not the sensational culture. We are truly ashamed and very sorry to all of the young visitors.

https://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/2023/08/09/opinion/columns/Jamboree-Saemangeum-pull-out/20230809192556254.html

• Thanks 1

Does anyone know the actual cost of a scout going to the jamboree? I did see that there are 4 different levels - the US and Europe pay the most, poorer countries pay less. I know US scouts paid $6100 but that includes taxes to national, the council and travel.

I suspect that much like the Olympics, the WSJ is put on at a loss. I'm honestly not surprised with all the problems. This is a huge undertaking and when the BSA is looked up to as being able, of course the S Korea scout association is in over their heads. It takes time to grow trees! I suspect WOSM is just as guilty (who signed off on the we will grow trees idea?) They asked for inexpensive and they got it. And the prices went up in the meantime. Also, nobody wants to pay for a sewer system for 40000 people that will only be used for 2 weeks. Or a hospital system, or dining, or .... And S Korea couldn't say no.

Bottom line, nobody got hurt.

• Upvote 2
52 minutes ago, MattR said:

Bottom line, nobody got hurt.

I have no idea how you reached that conclusion. Thousands needed medical attention, many or most of whom would not have needed medical care if the event had be properly planned. I heard a report of one fatality from the British contingent, though with an event this size a fatality is always a possibility.

Most were financially hurt, because they didn't get anything like the experience they reasonably expected.

Edited by sierracharliescouter
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, MattR said:

It takes time to grow trees!

Absolutely. But how long is known, as is the fact that trees don't grow well on reclaimed land due to salt levels, and the organizers were repeatedly told that. They were quite aware and proceeded anyway.

I don't want to jump to conclusions or judge someone unfairly, either. But spending millions of won on touring tourist sites with only brief occasional visits to scout-related places, the organizers clearly having identified the risks that did occur without taking any action on ROAMing them - as evidenced by that they were not prepared - and also being told point blank that their plans weren't good (by other Koreans) doesn't paint a pretty picture of the Korean government organizers. Korean media isn't exactly making excuses for them, they're going after them. 

South Korea is a developed country. The place is full of educated professionals who can make a risk register and manage risk, and a free press that holds their government to account. (Consider, for example, what happened after the Sewol capsized.) Things started improving once the president and the big chaebols started sending help - just goes to show that these problems weren't because Koreans aren't Americans, these problems were due to more specific bad planning. Bad planning that it's fair to criticize, especially when Korean media are already doing it.

WOSM's role, though, I'm also curious about. Who knew what when is my question. Trees not being there, for example, isn't exactly buried in paperwork filed in the basement in a cabinet labeled "Beware or the leopard". And typhoon season hasn't changed.

2 hours ago, sierracharliescouter said:

Thousands needed medical attention, many or most of whom would not have needed medical care if the event had be properly planned.

Yes, it's miserable but they got to go home. Nobody got caught in the hurricane.

2 hours ago, sierracharliescouter said:

I heard a report of one fatality from the British contingent, though with an event this size a fatality is always a possibility.

All I found was that 23 people across all of S Korea died due to heat. The scouts did okay. Going to the hospital for dehydration or eating bad food is not fun and a lot of scouts are angry at someone, but that's not the same as trauma. Money can be replaced.

I'm not saying all was fun and good. Certainly there are 40000 upset people. I feel sorry for them but this won't get fixed until a lot more is understood. There are a lot of events that led to this mess. The S Korea scouting organization is only one part of it. Something tells me that a month ago a lot of other people knew there was a problem and nothing was done about it. Were there any sort of intermediate check points that had to be met? They said they'd put in trees. That idea could have been checked 6 months ago. The food and toilets could also have been checked. Was there ever a plan B? Was there ever any sort of check that this was a good site to have that many people in August? Apparently not. In other words, the proposal was nothing more than a sales brochure - promise whatever is needed to win the event. Who's fault is that? Certainly S Korea is partly to blame but they were just playing by the rules. What about WOSM? It might be that WOSM doesn't have the budget to oversee such a big project. That's fine. Just make it smaller, or smaller and more often, or just pick one or two sites on each continent and rotate through them, or whatever. But unless people dig into what went wrong this will happen again, and next time it might be something faster moving than a hurricane.

• Upvote 2
10 minutes ago, MattR said:

Yes, it's miserable but they got to go home. Nobody got caught in the hurricane.

All I found was that 23 people across all of S Korea died due to heat. The scouts did okay. Going to the hospital for dehydration or eating bad food is not fun and a lot of scouts are angry at someone, but that's not the same as trauma. Money can be replaced.

I'm not saying all was fun and good. Certainly there are 40000 upset people. I feel sorry for them but this won't get fixed until a lot more is understood. There are a lot of events that led to this mess. The S Korea scouting organization is only one part of it. Something tells me that a month ago a lot of other people knew there was a problem and nothing was done about it. Were there any sort of intermediate check points that had to be met? They said they'd put in trees. That idea could have been checked 6 months ago. The food and toilets could also have been checked. Was there ever a plan B? Was there ever any sort of check that this was a good site to have that many people in August? Apparently not. In other words, the proposal was nothing more than a sales brochure - promise whatever is needed to win the event. Who's fault is that? Certainly S Korea is partly to blame but they were just playing by the rules. What about WOSM? It might be that WOSM doesn't have the budget to oversee such a big project. That's fine. Just make it smaller, or smaller and more often, or just pick one or two sites on each continent and rotate through them, or whatever. But unless people dig into what went wrong this will happen again, and next time it might be something faster moving than a hurricane.

Follow the money...

• Upvote 1

Looks like South Korea (govt, media, citizens) has started judging accountability for fiasco. WOSM? BSA? Canada?

"While thousands of Scouts spent their time away from their original campsite, ruling party politicians sought the person accountable for the disaster that put hundreds of youngsters who were heat-stricken and exhausted to clinics and hospitals. Kim Hyun-sook, , the Ministry of Gender Equality and Family , had her name put on the top of the list of the people who were the source of the problem by the ruling People's Power Party lawmakers."

Whether she has been a setup scapegoat, I do not know, She cannot be the only one who failed.

Source:

https://www.ajudaily.com/view/20230811170705185

Edited by RememberSchiff
2 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

Looks like South Korea (govt, media, citizens) has started judging accountability for fiasco. WOSM? BSA? Canada?

"While thousands of Scouts spent their time away from their original campsite, ruling party politicians sought the person accountable for the disaster that put hundreds of youngsters who were heat-stricken and exhausted to clinics and hospitals. Kim Hyun-sook, , the Ministry of Gender Equality and Family , had her name put on the top of the list of the people who were the source of the problem by the ruling People's Power Party lawmakers."

Whether she has been a setup scapegoat, I do not know, She cannot be the only one who failed.

Source:

https://www.ajudaily.com/view/20230811170705185

Blame Canada!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOR38552MJA&ab_channel=Movieclips

According to People Power Party (PPP) lawmaker Kweon Seong-dong’s office, some of the contracts that the North Jeolla government signed regarding the construction of foundational facilities at the campsite, as well as provision of supplies, have deadlines set after the World Scout Jamboree began on Aug. 1.  

Some even have construction deadlines set for the end of the year.  

(...)

Among the 256 contracts that the North Jeolla government signed with private contractors, 15 had overdue deadlines set far past the official opening. While most of the 15 were services contracts, three were for constructing essential facilities. 

(...)

“While having services and goods supplied late was also a problem, it is more difficult to understand how the deadline for construction projects that would physically impact the Jamboree was set for after the opening ceremony,” Kweon said.  

(...)

The Jamboree's infrastructure plan included the construction of a 26-kilometer (16-mile) water pipe and 31-kilometer sewer system, as well as three water treatment facilities, three parking lots and 3.7-kilometers of shading. 

However, the contract to build them was signed in December 2021, less than two years before the opening ceremony and more than four years after Saemangeum was picked to host the World Scout Jamboree in 2017.

Another problem is North Jeolla only allowed companies that are based in the province to bid for Jamboree-related contracts.  

As a result, a construction company based in Buan County ranked 964th nationally in terms of construction capacity was picked to build the basic infrastructure.

The company won the 4 billion won-project and broke ground in December 2021 but failed to finish construction, leading to drainage problems.  

https://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/news/2023-08-14/national/socialAffairs/North-Jeolla-accused-of-sketchy-Jamboree-contracts/1846289

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, AwakeEnergyScouter said:

According to People Power Party (PPP) lawmaker Kweon Seong-dong’s office, some of the contracts that the North Jeolla government signed regarding the construction of foundational facilities at the campsite, as well as provision of supplies, have deadlines set after the World Scout Jamboree began on Aug. 1.  

Some even have construction deadlines set for the end of the year.  

(...)

Among the 256 contracts that the North Jeolla government signed with private contractors, 15 had overdue deadlines set far past the official opening. While most of the 15 were services contracts, three were for constructing essential facilities. 

(...)

“While having services and goods supplied late was also a problem, it is more difficult to understand how the deadline for construction projects that would physically impact the Jamboree was set for after the opening ceremony,” Kweon said.  

(...)

The Jamboree's infrastructure plan included the construction of a 26-kilometer (16-mile) water pipe and 31-kilometer sewer system, as well as three water treatment facilities, three parking lots and 3.7-kilometers of shading. 

However, the contract to build them was signed in December 2021, less than two years before the opening ceremony and more than four years after Saemangeum was picked to host the World Scout Jamboree in 2017.

Another problem is North Jeolla only allowed companies that are based in the province to bid for Jamboree-related contracts.  

As a result, a construction company based in Buan County ranked 964th nationally in terms of construction capacity was picked to build the basic infrastructure.

The company won the 4 billion won-project and broke ground in December 2021 but failed to finish construction, leading to drainage problems.  

https://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/news/2023-08-14/national/socialAffairs/North-Jeolla-accused-of-sketchy-Jamboree-contracts/1846289

I think that was part of the local politics of the site. The project was meant to boost the local economy of the North Jeolla province so local enterprises were given priority. We have the same construct here, it's just generally some entity steps in when there are looming deadlines and cost overruns on a high profile project. Also, this site wasn't just being developed for WSJ, there are/were plans for other future large scale events to be held there on an ongoing basis, so their timeline in some regards extended beyond WSJ. As far as the US and the WSJ involvement, though, anyone reading an English language Korean media outlet in preparation for the event would have known some of this. The site has been controversial for decades, first and foremost because there were lawsuits and court cases trying to prevent the area from being filled in in the first place. It was formerly a critical estuary system that was a breeding ground and flyway stop for hundreds of thousands of threatened and endangered bird species and as such has long been on the radar of many increasingly dismayed people in the conservation community.  

Edited by yknot
On 8/8/2023 at 8:32 AM, gpurlee said:

A friend of mine has been on-site with the American contingent at the WSJ. Some of his comments include:

(1) The parts of the jamboree that they were able to participate with were very good. ...

(2) Communication with the BSA contingent participants and the top leadership was poor. ...

(3) Conditions varied on site but were not as bad in their location as reported by the media. 

(4) While very appreciative of the military accommodations, they were crowded and uncomfortable. Participants were confined to base ...

(5) His perception was that the BSA contingency planning was really lacking ...

(6) A lot of effort goes into trying to make these super events such as the National and World jamborees highlight experiences for the participants.  Are we on the verge of a major rethink of these super events?

My observations generally concur with @gpurlee's friend -- chances are we compared notes. With some added detail:

1) Each American unit was in a different subcamp, so there was only international contact. In contrast to the last WSJ, it felt good to be the minority. For those into trading, US swag was in high demand. Regarding facilities and emergency services, they were adequate to the task at hand, and we saw them improve daily.

2) The contingent management team (including our troop's commissioner) did not visit our site (which I found to be splendid) until after they decided to evacuate. Communication was primarily via Basecamp (before the trip) and Whatsapp (hastily assembled after the trip). Neither is as useful as these forums would have been.

3) It's summertime on a warming planet. My scouts (from across the southeast US) had camped in heat and humidity like this before. And the amount of dehydration/heat stroke among our boys was par for the course. This was a relatively safe environment to learn how to listen to your body. The Brits, were not nearly as disciplined, and talking to the youth, many were not consuming the needed water and electrolytes, and were not slowing their pace in the afternoon. (Mad dogs and Englishmen ... out in the noonday sun.)

4) We were not merely confined to base. We were confined to the garrison's school grounds. There was no visiting the PX, or the library, or any of the base families (who weren't even allowed to visit us on day one, but that was relaxed when we were staying there on days 7 through 11), no access to a kitchen to make my coffee! (I'm still kicking myself for not buying fuel for my burner when we stopped at a grocery on the pre-tour.) Excursions from base required coordinating all 20 buses to leave and return at the same time, and it took time for the MPs to clear the convoy in either direction across the gate. (Police escorts are cool the first time ... not so much after that.) So, for a two-hour shopping trip in Seoul, we were on a bus for 6 hours.

5) Coordinating with leaders of other troops was not pleasant. There were numerous violations of my rule #1 (don't ask for a rule). We would be given instructions, followed by the phrase that I came to dread: "Are there any questions?" On base, this caused delays in execution of simple tasks like dropping your gear and getting dinner. I finally started taking on tasks just to prevent second-guessers from wasting all of our time worrying about doing it wrong. For this reason alone, we would have been better off dispersed to the various campuses, sharing quarters with other contingents.

6) I'm no fan of conventions. But, the simple format of having 40,000 kids from hundreds of nations camp together is a heady brew that I won't pass up. I would have definitely preferred to stay on site until the day before the typhoon made landfall. (I actually slept out on my hammock under a porch the night it landed.)

I think this is the experience of most of our SMs. We would have preferred to have helped the troops who were hurting to relocate to our seemingly better sites. In fact, we requested that the contingent management team rescind its total evacuation order allow us to do just that. We were obviously denied. 

Following up with contingent leaders, it seems the root cause for the premature withdrawal was in US/UK vs. Korean medical teams' conflicting standards of care for edge cases (i.e. those needing surgery). Contingent management estimated that the risk to the one or two scouts who might need that care outweighed the desires and abilities of the leaders in camp. This is a subtle story that doesn't make headlines because it doesn't sound as dramatic as the rather common rate of heat exhaustion, mediocre infrastructure, and high probability of foul weather. But, I think that type of conflict will require close scrutiny before we find ourselves in Poland in 2027.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2