Another One Bites the Dust...

He was a known quantity in the council. Worked other jobs on the staff and at camp...

I never had much interaction with him, and knew of him to be a generally good fellow.

First report was that as he got into the role, he realized he sincerely found it distasteful.

It is a curious development. I may ask my other contacts what the issue was.

14 hours ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

First report was that as he got into the role, he realized he sincerely found it distasteful.

That must of sucked. You think you know the negatives due to “being around” and then find out it is worse than what you prepared for. 

• Upvote 1

Well, such is not unknown in our necklace of the woodsy realm...

I worked for our local Transit agency. Another time...   At our BSA District RT one month, we were introduced to our new DE.  Call him Mr. Lee.   I remember him as being very personable, met everyone, shook hands, took notes about what was going on. 

Three weeks later, we learned second hand that the DE had resigned like three days after our RT. THREE DAYS.... Some months later , I was called into our Transit garage office and told I was assigned to accompany a group of "Transit Tourists" around our property.  These were middle management from New York City, visiting the Wash DC area.  Lo and behold, here's Mr. Lee ! Now a transit manager !  He recognized me, and we talked.  He honestly told me the BSA DE position was merely meant as a "place holder".  We smiled and agreed the DE pay was not the best, the bene's were not worth holding onto.  

Then there are the ones that have a permanent crick in their neck from bending over double to help....

I love Scouting and everything that goes with it.  I've been around since 1971 and have really enjoyed most of it.  But, the bad parts are/were really bad and I absolutely hate the bad parts.  I was offered a DE position and immediately declined because I love Scouting and I don't always agree with status quo.  If the day ever comes where I have had enough all I have say is KMA and just go home.  It would be much harder if I relied on the BSA to butter my bread.  I have respect and admiration for our professionals and will stand by these men and women all the way, and they all know that.

One DE I worked with lasted 3 weeks.  Long story short, his neighbor brought him to the hospital's emergency room and called the council stating he would be unable to attend a staff meeting because of the hospital visit. DFS told the neighbor to tell the DE he needed to be at the meeting or he was fired. about 5-10 minutes after the phone call, she called back stating he quit.

One DE I went through PDL-1 with told us the nightmare her council put her through after 3 months on the job. She told us she had her resignation letter ready for when she returned. When I asked why stay as long as she did and doing PDL-1, she stated, "I've never been to Texas before, and I earned this two week paid vacation."

58 minutes ago, Mrjeff said:

I have respect and admiration for our professionals and will stand by these men and women all the way, and they all know that.

I have respect and admiration for the professionals that take care of the Scouts and Scouters. I will do whatever it takes to help them out.  But new professionals, I give benefit of the doubt to professionals until they show me otherwise. Sadly I have not had any respected and admired professionals in this area for sometime.

I understand, but I  have had the privilege of working with two fine Council Executives.  They are fine individuals and it is/has been a pleasure working with them.  For these two guys I don't mind hoop jumping or swinging by h@[[ if they need anything.   They know that all they need to do is call and I'll be right there.  

24 minutes ago, Mrjeff said:

I understand, but I  have had the privilege of working with two fine Council Executives.  They are fine individuals and it is/has been a pleasure working with them.  For these two guys I don't mind hoop jumping or swinging by h@[[ if they need anything.   They know that all they need to do is call and I'll be right there.  

I wish. I asked current SE, who was acting DE to help existing units with recruiting. Was told no. Later on at a RT he was running , he told us what we can buy and do to help recruiting. Yes, he wanted us to buy various supplies from council to do our recruiting. Thing is the schools would not allow us in to do round ups. We needed his help to get into the schools.

Council use to have a policy that no district would have a conflicting event if the council was hosting one. Well, he not only allowed a conflicting district event to occur, he provided little to no support for the council level event; volunteers had to do everything. Worse he did not listen to volunteers with ordering stuff.

Sometimes when you do what you enjoy for a job, it does not hit right.  Sounds cool, but now it's a job and not elective and you must deal with every aspect, good bad or indifferent.  Heck, as I step into the SM role - I feel this.  There's more than I understood, and not all of it's fun.  And that's just "one hour a week" ;) Imagine 40.

• Upvote 1

My friend, I have always said that the job of being a Scoutmaster is the toughest job in Scouting.  If everything goes well its because someone else did a good job;  but, if it all goes wrong the Scoutmaster is the one to blame.  Congratulations and thank you for tackling this challenging but rewarding job.  God bless!

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

The best DE I ever worked with was a retired engineer. He was also a Silver Beaver with a very good 20 history as a Scoutmaster. He was an idea guy, so we got along well and started a few district activities. What did him in was being assigned the council summer camp coordinator. It was a thankless job that took him away from his wife too much. The problem with any volunteer type organization is talented workers keep getting more responsibilities until they are sucked dry. I’m sure our DE would have stayed another 10 years if he hadn’t taken the summer camp coordinator job.

Barry

• Upvote 1
14 minutes ago, Eagledad said:

Yes, but he was a paid professional. I don’t know how much he can no.

As a former Pro, not much he can say no to. Stall and delay? Yes, I had to do that a lot to keep my district running. Saying "No," not really.

Only time I ever said 'no" was when the SE asked me to drive to the main camp and help shut it down before a hurricane struck. Told the SE that they are evacuating the area and I would not be able to get in. Still had me call the ranger to see if he needed help. Ranger had not only secured the camp, but was 5 hours away, outside the storm track.