Signing Up Adults BSA vs Other Orgs

On 4/13/2022 at 4:28 PM, fred8033 said:

@InquisitiveScouter ... My apologies.  It's the continual dumping.  Statements like: that's failure.  stuck in the 1970s.  holding other groups which trashing their own.

It was within ten years that I remember the local traveling hockey ... after checked into the hotel, all the adults went to the bar for the night ... except one adult stayed back at the hotel with the youth.  I'm almost 100% that adult had not been background checked or trained.  Just a dad that did not want to sit in a bar.  I remember other similar groups had similar practices.  It was common and there are still many bad practices.  

It really feels like people just want to complain.  BSA training and registration have drastically improved in the last twenty years.  It still has a long way to go.  In some ways, BSA is suffering because it did start 15 years ago with online training.  I've now seen many versions of online training.  It's expensive to keep re-designing.  Similar for registration.  It will keep improving.  It's not ideal.  But BSA is far from deserving the trash talk. 

For years people have been saying iceberg dead ahead and BSA has done little to nothing or reacted far too late. I'm sorry if the constant iceberg warnings seem anti scout or hateful, but that's not the place they come from for most of the people that raise them on this forum or at least I don't think so. For example, I'm not here because I like constantly pointing out BSA's failings, I'm here because I want BSA to stop failing. 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, yknot said:

but that's not the place they come from for most of the people that raise them on this forum or at least I don't think so. For example, I'm not here because I like constantly pointing out BSA's failings, I'm here because I want BSA to stop failing. 

Hear, hear!!

• Thanks 1

i would be happy if all levels of BSA would follow their own rules. Tired of trying to tell professional and upper level volunteers what scouting rules and policies are. Was told told by a long term DE that they did not know all the rules covered in the guide to safe scouting. Not sure how they are to able to over see events . completed short term camp administrator program when it came out . It just made me very afraid of what had been going on in the past based on some  of the rules.

• Upvote 2