Update on Churchill Recommendations

The NEC [National Executive Committee] also agreed that the following three recommendations will not be considered at this time:

• Combining Sea Scouting into Exploring,
  • Ending all youth programs at the age of 18, and
  • Sunsetting the Learning for Life curriculum
  • Upvote 2
13 minutes ago, dkurtenbach said:

The NEC [National Executive Committee] also agreed that the following three recommendations will not be considered at this time:

• Combining Sea Scouting into Exploring,
  • Ending all youth programs at the age of 18, and
  • Sunsetting the Learning for Life curriculum

For now. BSA does not have a good track record IMHO of following through on their promises.

• Upvote 1

It isn't happening now, so lets move forward and work with our current options and stop making noise when not necessary.  Be happy that for the moment, not all the doom and gloom is in motion.  Certainly stepping, if slowly, in a better direction.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
21 minutes ago, skeptic said:

It isn't happening now, so lets move forward and work with our current options and stop making noise when not necessary.  Be happy that for the moment, not all the doom and gloom is in motion.  

OK.  HAPPY BANKRUPTCY everybody!

I am stunned and in awe of the Churchill project.   Do nothing hard.  Punt on the major decisions.  The three priority items are ones that should have already been done as a part of regular business practices.

• Upvote 4
2 hours ago, skeptic said:

It isn't happening now, so lets move forward and work with our current options and stop making noise when not necessary.  Be happy that for the moment, not all the doom and gloom is in motion.  Certainly stepping, if slowly, in a better direction.  

Skeptic,

Do you honestly believe the National? They have a history of saying one thing, and doing the exact opposite. They have a history of doing polls, and then ignoring them if they posted the results, or never posting the results of the poll.  Even the document said it is still an option, just at a later date. Note the bold

The NEC also agreed that the following three recommendations will not be considered at this time: 

Combining Sea Scouting into Exploring,

Ending all youth programs at the age of 18, and

Sunsetting the Learning for Life curriculum

Although we are not moving forward with these recommendations, we will continue the dialog that prompted the recommendations to ensure that we continue to benefit as a Movement from the evaluation and analysis conducted by the Churchill teams that studied those areas.

So those of us who have are involved with, or have fond memories of our time in Sea Scouting, OA, and Venturing still see the risk.

1 hour ago, PACAN said:

I am stunned and in awe of the Churchill project.   Do nothing hard.  Punt on the major decisions.  The three priority items are ones that should have already been done as a part of regular business practices.

I think they are "punting"  because the leaked Churchill slide caused a major protest of the rank and file. I think National hopes this protest of the Churchill document either A) dies down so they can enact it, or B) try to say it is being forced upon them because of the bankruptcy. Either way the decision has been made, they are just waiting to implement it.

1 hour ago, ALongWalk said:

Looks to me like these folks are working hard to save and improve the movement.  I appreciate their work.

I wish I was as optimistic.

• Like 1

Reading the text of the three priorities, it is clear that National retains the delusion that all Scouting flows from the professionals:  "Recommendations that help engage and empower more volunteers to deliver and support Scouting locally will move forward, which will be vital to our Movement’s sustainability since financial challenges prevent us from being able to meet demands with professional staff alone."  And:  "[C]ouncils can focus on bringing Scouting to youth, families and communities with the support of local volunteers."   (Emphasis added.) 

Scouting exists only because individual adult volunteers -- NOT professionals -- form and operate packs, troops, crews, and ships.  Those unit volunteers are the ones who recruit youth and families.  Those youth and families join those units because they like what those unit volunteers have made possible.  And those youth and families stay in Scouting because they like what the unit is giving them under the guidance and approval of those unit volunteers.  Those unit volunteers aren't doing it to support the Movement or to support councils or to take the burden off professionals. Many, if not most of those unit volunteers who are building Scouting units, recruiting youth and other adults into Scouting, and guiding and delivering the Scouting program will have only the vaguest idea of what a council is and will have no meaningful encounter with a BSA professional.  Scouting begins and ends with units and with the adult volunteers who make those units possible.  And because National personnel (and council personnel) don't understand that, they fail.

Edited by dkurtenbach
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

As others have noted, not sure the group (NEC Team) really understands how things work now.

They seem to think that making some adjustments or tweaks will make everything better.  The NEC should have presented a plan on how to FOCUS the Scouting program and movement on our strengths and market differentiation (outdoor program, youth led, self reliance, problem solving, personal growth) and how to leverage that to grow the program.

Hint - it's not STEM, safety, popcorn, and professional staff

Lastly, this is great - since financial challenges prevent us from being able to meet demands with professional staff alone.  Honestly not sure what the Fields Execs and multiple layers of operations management actually do to support the local units.  The admins at the council office do more than anyone.  

• Upvote 4
1 hour ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

Skeptic,

Do you honestly believe the National? They have a history of saying one thing, and doing the exact opposite. They have a history of doing polls, and then ignoring them if they posted the results, or never posting the results of the poll.  Even the document said it is still an option, just at a later date. Note the bold

The NEC also agreed that the following three recommendations will not be considered at this time: 

Combining Sea Scouting into Exploring,

Ending all youth programs at the age of 18, and

Sunsetting the Learning for Life curriculum

Although we are not moving forward with these recommendations, we will continue the dialog that prompted the recommendations to ensure that we continue to benefit as a Movement from the evaluation and analysis conducted by the Churchill teams that studied those areas.

So those of us who have are involved with, or have fond memories of our time in Sea Scouting, OA, and Venturing still see the risk.

I think they are "punting"  because the leaked Churchill slide caused a major protest of the rank and file. I think National hopes this protest of the Churchill document either A) dies down so they can enact it, or B) try to say it is being forced upon them because of the bankruptcy. Either way the decision has been made, they are just waiting to implement it.

I wish I was as optimistic.

I believe they are seriously moving in the right direction.  We do not have all the facts, nor any idea about many of the peripheral considerations.  What I perceive, partly based on some discussions at PTC last summer, is that a sea change has begun.  Are there still people in National that may try to buck the change, or are too bull headed to understand the seriousness?  Probably.  But I have studied the history of the program for over fifty years and have many theses and studies and actual professional meeting and conference minutes and reviews.  The first thing that makes me cautiously optimistic is the already in place move away from a professional in the driver seat.  The man has obviously come into it with the perspective of the volunteer, and those mid level council people I know that have met him assure me he is the real thing.  

Whether or not I am correct in my perceptions now, only time will tell.  But I refuse to bey at the moon about how awful National is, and how they are all only out for themselves and a bunch of non Scouter miscreants or whatever.  As my nickname suggests, I am always skeptical.  But I also feel that I am able to make rational decisions and judgments based on what is presented.  If I am wrong, it will be very sad.  But, I do not see how some can continue to carry the negative water to throw on the positive firelay.  JMHO.  Good Scouting.  We have youth in our home fronts to lead and mentor.  No more responses on this portion of the novella.

@dkurtenbach BRAVO! I could not say it any better.

@skeptic, where to begin. You are correct, we do NOT have all the facts and peripherals. BSA has a long history of no tranparency, from the council level all the way up. And their lack of communication to the rank and file adds to the fire. I do know how some pros work, and I can see pros at national trying to buck Mosby. Thankfully Mosby has all the power. And I do hope he wields it judiciously. I have seen SEs remove "troublemaking" volunteers, both from positions on the district and council levels, because they have questions and concerns about the program. In one instance, one longtime volutneer was placed int he Ineligible Volunteer Files not related to any wrongdoing., but for questioning financial discrepancies .As for the problems I see and are concerned about, I will keep harping on them to keep them at the forefront. From all the language in the document, it is only a stay of execution, not a pardon.  Some people are thinking it's a victory, when it is not. But I do hope and pray you are correct.

@MattR good question. it's because I hope for the best, but am expecting the worse.The situation is like seeing your best friend spiraling out of control because of a drug addiction. You try to do everything to help them out, but it keeps getting worse and worse. I hope and pray that this bankruptcy will be like rehab, gets National clean and sober so they can get on and provide what is needed for our youth.

Plus I got my sons and my Scouts to worry about.

41 minutes ago, MattR said:

Another way of looking at @skeptic's point: If you're sure the BSA is going to fold then why are you still here?

3 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

@MattR good question. it's because I hope for the best, but am expecting the worse. The situation is like seeing your best friend spiraling out of control because of a drug addiction. You try to do everything to help them out, but it keeps getting worse and worse. I hope and pray that this bankruptcy will be like rehab, gets National clean and sober so they can get on and provide what is needed for our youth.

The whole Churchill Plan thing is symptomatic of BSA's continuing problems:  In the face of an existential crisis, it is asking ordinary business questions about how it can be more efficient and do a better job marketing and recruit more volunteers and continue operations on a tighter budget.  That lack of perspective is bad enough given the potential crippling outcome of the bankruptcy.  But the bankruptcy is not the existential crisis that BSA faces.  The real crisis is the devastating and ongoing loss of youth membership.  The number of youth members in Scouting programs affects everything, including BSA's ability to recover from the bankruptcy.  And because membership recruitment and retention is exclusively in the hands of units and unit volunteers, the membership crisis can only be solved at the unit level.  So, what is BSA doing about that?

• Upvote 2