Tiger Summer Pin

That is correct. June 1 (or the end of school, whichever is later, for those schools that don't end until after June 1) is the date that one program year ends and the new one begins. On that day, Lions become Tigers, Tigers become Wolves, etc. (in the Scouting sense, of course. Not in nature. That'd be weird.)

That means that in your example, a Cub Scout who will be entering First Grade in the fall would be doing summertime activities to earn the Tiger summer pin. If they will be entering Second Grade in the fall they will be working on the Wolf summer pin over the summer.

• Upvote 1

There's debate on this. Many units (ours included) follow the method outlined on https://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php/National_Summertime_Award where they are earned the summer after earning the rank.  

So the Tiger one would be earned the summer after first grade.

There's a recent response from national floating around on one of the Facebook sites that this is the intended method of awarding. However, without clear guidelines in guide to advancement, it's up to your unit to decide what works best for them.

Lions are not supposed to join until August-September when they are actually in kindergarten.  What I have heard (indirectly / second hand) from the Cub Scout team is that packs can decide to award the pin either way, whichever way works best for them.  IMO, now that Lions are officially part of the Cub Scout program and because there is no Lion summertime pin, it makes sense to me that the summer between kindergarten and 1st grade they would earn the Tiger summertime pin.  Otherwise, they would earn nothing during the summer between their Lion (K) and Tiger (1st grade) year.  I also think it is less confusing to the Cubs and parents this way, because at the end of the school year they are advanced to the next den level.

7 hours ago, Thunderbird said:

Lions are not supposed to join until August-September when they are actually in kindergarten.  What I have heard (indirectly / second hand) from the Cub Scout team is that packs can decide to award the pin either way, whichever way works best for them.  IMO, now that Lions are officially part of the Cub Scout program and because there is no Lion summertime pin, it makes sense to me that the summer between kindergarten and 1st grade they would earn the Tiger summertime pin.  Otherwise, they would earn nothing during the summer between their Lion (K) and Tiger (1st grade) year.  I also think it is less confusing to the Cubs and parents this way, because at the end of the school year they are advanced to the next den level.

If you do it that way, what do the Webelos earn in between their 4th & 5th grade year?  Since they've added Lions, they should probably just add a Lion summertime pin.

55 minutes ago, Pale Horse said:

If you do it that way, what do the Webelos earn in between their 4th & 5th grade year?  Since they've added Lions, they should probably just add a Lion summertime pin.

Second Webelos pin. 

Or we could go back to the original pin design without a color so that the number of pins equals the number of times earned.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

Second Webelos pin. 

Or we could go back to the original pin design without a color so that the number of pins equals the number of times earned.

Either of these ideas works for me.  We would sometimes have Cubs join in June after the dens had advanced.  It didn't make sense to me for them to earn a pin for a den that they were never in, and the Cubs and parents were just confused.