We're doing the Sea Exploring (Keys Tall Ship) adventure this summer.  What do you recommend for sleeping gear?  Do you just take an inflatable pad, pillow and sheet?  I was going to take a silk sleeping bag liner.  They say people sleep up on the deck since it's too hot down below.

Any other advice on specific gear is appreciated.

I started sleeping topside at Seabase 12 years ago, and have been tent-optional ever since!

A sheet and fleece blanket, and duffel of clothes for a pillow is all you'll need. You may need to go below during rain, but your gear dries of right quick the next day.

I also found rain jacket and pants come in handy for the occasional tropical storms. Hypothermia in the summer tropics is a thing!

P.S. - I was in the Bahamas last month, and realized that I could have been 10x more comfortable than I was in the fore cabin had I brought my hammock to sling under the boom. (100x if I could have convinced Mrs. Q to join me!)

9 minutes ago, 69RoadRunner said:

I never considered a hammock.  Do captains actually allow them?

You will have to ask the captain. His boat, his rules. Ours would have. But this was a private sail.

You could call Seabase, and they may know the answer for the ship and captain you'll be sailing with.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Mountaineer said:

My son is a sailing mate and he uses a boat cushion. He bought a $9 pool float from Academy and took it with him. Guess it's too much hassle to blow up daily. Highly recommend some type of light cover.

We used a sleeping bag liner for the cover.  I think the younger you are, the easier you sleep 🙂

@ianwilkins sleeping below deck in the summertime tropics is extremely uncomfortable unless you burn $s to fuel the generator running the A/C.

11 hours ago, mashmaster said:

We used a sleeping bag liner for the cover.  I think the younger you are, the easier you sleep 🙂

Who needs sleep when there are stars to watch?

20 minutes ago, qwazse said:

@ianwilkins sleeping below deck in the summertime tropics is extremely uncomfortable unless you burn $s to fuel the generator running the A/C.

Prop the gun ports open. Sorry, watched too much Black Sails, I'll stop with the pirate schtick. :)

4 hours ago, 69RoadRunner said:

Well, we are on one of the 75'+ boats, so you never know.

I am so jealous!

1 hour ago, qwazse said:

Who needs sleep when there are stars to watch?

After the 2 night of no sleep I just passed out on the foredeck and figured if I rolled into the water I would wake up.....

• Haha 2