Training for Merit Badge Counseling

Hello. Long time scout parent and now I'm making the leap to ASM for a troop that's pretty eager to have me join. One of the items they brought up was identifying any merit badges I could become a merit badge counselor for. 

Outside of merit badges that I am qualified to be a counselor for, how does one go about training to be a counselor for a badge you have an interest in being a counselor for, but you don't have a lot of experience in. For example Hiking seems to require knowledge of various good hiking trails for the hiking outings to complete etc. 

2 hours ago, Buggie said:

Hello. Long time scout parent and now I'm making the leap to ASM for a troop that's pretty eager to have me join. One of the items they brought up was identifying any merit badges I could become a merit badge counselor for. 

Outside of merit badges that I am qualified to be a counselor for, how does one go about training to be a counselor for a badge you have an interest in being a counselor for, but you don't have a lot of experience in. For example Hiking seems to require knowledge of various good hiking trails for the hiking outings to complete etc. 

There isn’t training for every badge, not that I know of at least. There is a training program on myscouting about how to be a merit badge counselor. 

You don’t have to be like a master at the merit badge to become a counselor, know how to fulfill it. 

For your example, a scout should be the one picking the trails, etc. You should just be giving the ok.