What an Iron Squirrel Taught Me

21 minutes ago, Hawkwin said:

Should make this thread a sticky!

9 hours ago, MattR said:

That is a really great idea

Thanks both of you, really nice of you to say that.

What I am really interested in is great ideas others have had so I can shamelessly steal them and use them as we build our troop program back up. There are so many good ideas that get sprinkled in a bunch of thread on here. Not so much theory, but very granular examples of what you all have seen work well!

I read this last night and loved it! We do an Iron Chef competition between the patrols every year and it's a big hit. The PLC decides on a theme for this year and the Scouts compete for the best dish. Bacon was a theme once that was a huge hit. Who would have thought broccoli cooked in bacon fat would be so darn good.

We have a Chile specific Iron Chef every so often. Getting the stoves out to cook gives all of the boys an opportunity to use a lightweight stove and check the requirement off during the event. 

1 hour ago, .40AET said:

I read this last night and loved it! We do an Iron Chef competition between the patrols every year and it's a big hit. The PLC decides on a theme for this year and the Scouts compete for the best dish. Bacon was a theme once that was a huge hit. Who would have thought broccoli cooked in bacon fat would be so darn good.

We have a Chile specific Iron Chef every so often. Getting the stoves out to cook gives all of the boys an opportunity to use a lightweight stove and check the requirement off during the event. 

That is a dang good idea right off the bat! I am going to do an Iron Squirrel Chef event for sure. Thanks!

34 minutes ago, Frostbyte said:

That is a dang good idea right off the bat! I am going to do an Iron Squirrel Chef event for sure. Thanks!

Make sure your wording is clear and you don't get a squirrel cook-off in iron :).  It's takes a lot of stew to cover the taste of squirrel.  Just sayin.

27 minutes ago, walk in the woods said:

Make sure your wording is clear and you don't get a squirrel cook-off in iron :).  It's takes a lot of stew to cover the taste of squirrel.  Just sayin.

I felt that sharing some good stuff was necessary since I've already been on Amazon looking for squirrel door stops. :D

There are several board games you can turn into a human form. Battleship, Foosball, and Risk are what we've done. So, for Battlehip hang a tarp to split the "sea", scouts sit in chairs on their side of the sea, put a bunch of balls in there as bombs, and the scouts toss them over the tarp where, if they hit a scout or his chair, he's out. The scouts must stay in their chairs. There's a lot of guessing where the scouts are on the other side of the tarp. The general idea is to make it so everyone moves as often as they can and at the same time. It's no fun to wait.

We've also made fun orienteering courses. Give each patrol a unique course (bearings and distances) through a set of labeled flags. Get points for getting the labels correctly. We did it at halloween once and put scary movie titles on the flags. The best part was always the last point. Each patrol starts from the same spot and there are a bunch of flags out in a field. Each patrol is given a bearing and distance that will put them on one of the flags. It's all about accuracy, and having a bag of candy as the trophy.

• Like 1