Cub Scouts have to leave Cumberland Island due to GovCo shutdown

Or any park run by the Army Corps of Engineers. You just don't realize how far those Federal tentacles reach...

We've been hit with it before. Sad part is that the shutdown had been over for months. But the caretakers weren't there to run park operations because they were told to leave when the shutdown started. They didn't have anyone else come in after things were supposed to be open again, so the park remained closed. 

4 minutes ago, numbersnerd said:

Or any park run by the Army Corps of Engineers. You just don't realize how far those Federal tentacles reach...

We've been hit with it before. Sad part is that the shutdown had been over for months. But the caretakers weren't there to run park operations because they were told to leave when the shutdown started. They didn't have anyone else come in after things were supposed to be open again, so the park remained closed. 

It seems strange that the people did not go back to work when the shutdown was over.  Isn't that the whole point of trying to end the shutdown asap, so the people can go back to work?

1 hour ago, NJCubScouter said:

It seems strange that the people did not go back to work when the shutdown was over.  Isn't that the whole point of trying to end the shutdown asap, so the people can go back to work?

I forgot to mention that the caretakers are not paid. Basically volunteers that trade labor for camping slots. They set their RV up at reserved areas close to the office and handle admission, stocking paper products in the restrooms, etc. I think they do it on 6 or 12 month stints. Not that it makes any difference to park visitors. Closed is closed, no matter the reason.

5 minutes ago, numbersnerd said:

I forgot to mention that the caretakers are not paid. Basically volunteers that trade labor for camping slots. They set their RV up at reserved areas close to the office and handle admission, stocking paper products in the restrooms, etc. I think they do it on 6 or 12 month stints. Not that it makes any difference to park visitors. Closed is closed, no matter the reason.

Ok, but it still seems curious that when the shutdown ended they did not call the volunteers back in and reopen the park.

It also seems odd to me that the availability to the public of a federal park would depend on volunteers rather than federal employees.  If you had asked me who lets visitors into federal parks, restocks paper products, etc., my assumption would have been that it is done by Department of Interior employees, not volunteers.  But I guess I just learned something.

As for the shutdown of the moment, it appears that a deal has been reached in the Senate but will still have to be voted on in the House, to keep the government open for another 3 weeks or so.

Just now, NJCubScouter said:

Ok, but it still seems curious that when the shutdown ended they did not call the volunteers back in and reopen the park.

It also seems odd to me that the availability to the public of a federal park would depend on volunteers rather than federal employees.  If you had asked me who lets visitors into federal parks, restocks paper products, etc., my assumption would have been that it is done by Department of Interior employees, not volunteers.  But I guess I just learned something.

As for the shutdown of the moment, it appears that a deal has been reached in the Senate but will still have to be voted on in the House, to keep the government open for another 3 weeks or so.

We thought all the same things and got the same education. Seems that the COE didn't give them a choice. Property to be closed in 24 hrs. Get out ASAP and they locked the gates. Is it any surprise it was difficult to find anyone willing to commit to that afterward?

Then again, this was when they barricaded areas that were normally open 24 hrs anyway, so nothing should really be a surprise.