Who manages the ASMs in your troop?

I hear you.  As much as I might like the textbook troop, we have to work with the cards we're dealt.  Makes sense.

I might almost sum it up as - stick with it.  Perhaps the SM isn't perfect.  Overtime, look for folks who come into the troop and encourage them.  Over time, I may find that those people pop up - if I just keep an eye out.

I'm also thinking - keep expecting boy led.  Where I (as CC) can, reinforce that - even if for small decisions.  Over time, more folks may catch on and pick up the mantle.  Someday, maybe the SM really embraces it.  Or maybe some day he retires.  But, either way, we've got some ASMs working with the boys who believe it an can pick up the mantle.

That all makes sense to me.  Thank you!

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As an ASM, I was never managed.  I did what needed to be done, and that was it.  It was more of a team effort than a hierarchical one.  

that question "Is the program the SM is running beneficial/harmful to the scouts." is an interesting one.... something I have struggled with going back and forth for a long time.   I read a while ba

I don't think I offered to help much at all. It's more like, "I'm doing ___. If the boys would like to see how it's done, they can stop by." I guess I was a mousetrap ASM (build it and they will come)

Got you - I'm following you now.

My guess is that your scouts are a lot further along the boy led spectrum. We seem, for whatever reason, to require more adult involvement. I'm trying to break the reliance of scouts on committee adults for that. I've been getting a continual stream of requests from the SM - an adult to advise the scout organizing the backpacking trip, and adult to advise the canoeing trip, etc. Instead of recruiting committee members for that, my push is leverage the 10 ASMs you already have for that.

But it sounds like the real goal ought to be to figure out how we rely a lot less on adults in general.

We did this by getting a senior scout involved with the SM instead of the ASM. SPL, JASM, Troop Guide, or just an experienced respected older scout, it doesn't matter. The point was getting the scouts used to trusting the older scout as the trusted assistant of the SM. As a SM, I used the experience to get older scouts more mentoring experience. It starts out a little slow, but as the older scouts age and mature, they get used to the idea of being the trusted role models and mentors.

Barry

Edited by Eagledad

But it sounds like the real goal ought to be to figure out how we rely a lot less on adults in general.

I hugely agree with that.  My opinion is it's way way too hard to keep adults working in a parallel direction.  We all feel so strongly about scouts and the program our sons are in that it's extremely difficult to step back and let just one person be the interaction contact.  

On the one hand yes the boys should be doing the planning, demonstrating, and doing leaving the ASM's to do the things the boys can't (usually involving credit cards and Vehicles) BUT when the ASM's don't really have a job they drift away to do other commitments and when the SM and the boys really need them he finds himself short handed (because the 'do-er' types now are doing church work, or coaching, or working on the honey do list. Or worse fine they really enjoy NOT doing scout stuff.)

It is hard to hit the sweet spot in a larger Troop IMHO. 

I keep myself busy talking to new parents, doing MB sign-offs for the boys in various points of progress, and just being a reliable presence. 

Maybe 'manage' should be more like 'communicate'. 

It is hard to hit the sweet spot in a larger Troop IMHO. 

Oh so true.  We've had multi-year long spans when it works right.  Then we have multi-year spans when it ain't so perfect.  It's a hard balance.  I always believe in knowing the ideal and working toward it.  In scouting, the ideal is scouts with scouts and adults with adults and the bridge is SPL / SM friendly coaching.  

I also agree that you need to keep adults busy otherwise they drift away or drift into the path of scouts.  I've always thought that is best done through adults cooking really well or playing games.

Edited by fred johnson
  • Upvote 1