Daughters need co-ed Leadership with Dad camping?

But @@RichardB, it has often been me and a female adult on overnights with the boys (or sometimes the girls). The participants, not the leadership define co-ed activities. Two-deep box checked.

Well, I see RichardB's point that EITHER the leadership or participants "define coed", but I think the terminology is secondary.  The important question is what is permitted and what is not permitted.  The only situation in which the leadership would "define coed" AND create a YP problem is where ALL the leaders are of one gender and ALL the participants are of the other gender.  In other words, EITHER all the leaders are male and all the participants are female, OR all the participants are female and all the leaders are male.  I think it is clear that YP forbids either of these situations, regardless of whether you use the term "coed" or not.

By the same token, if it is you (a man) and an adult female on a trip with just boys, it doesn't matter whether you call it "coed" or not.  Even if you do call it "coed", the presence of the adult female does two things simultaneously:  It creates the issue of "coed", because she is there, and immediately resolves the issue, because now you have leaders of both genders.  There's no YP problem regardless of the terminology.

Edited by NJCubScouter

Co-ed leadership requirements are pretty much irrelevant.  A boy could accuse a female leader of inappropriate behavior, and he could accuse a male leader of inappropriate behavior.  But then a girl could accuse a female leader of inappropriate behavior, and she could accuse a male leader of inappropriate behavior. 

Well then, how's that co-ed leadership thingy working out for you. 

2 deep will get you better mileage than co-ed leadership. 

So now we run the scenario, the co-ed leadership is isolated from each other at times due to the situation.  Where's the 2-deep backup at this point?

After 45+ years of working with youth, have I ever been questioned by the authorities about certain situations?  Yep, and it ain't no fun.  It is not a case of your word against theirs.  It's an issue of proving your innocence by proving the youth is lying and one had better come prepared to do just that.  No holds barred, bare knuckle, or you might as well sign off your future until you die, as a registered sex offender.

Bend all the YPT rules, redefine them a hundred different ways, interpret them as you feel best fits your style, but in a court of law, they might just toss that all out and measure the merits of the case on common law, not YPT rules. 

... So now we run the scenario, the co-ed leadership is isolated from each other at times due to the situation.  Where's the 2-deep backup at this point?

@@Stosh, I have to confess, I don't follow my male co-leader into the bathroom all the time either. Sometimes the boys are stuck with one of us.

So let's please keep the BS out of the BS of A.

• Upvote 1

7 or 8 hours at night is about 1/3 of the activity time. And it is the time of darkness. I wouldn't classify that as BS. Everyone has their own level of risk they are willing to live with. At my age and have been in awkward situations and have seen what it can do to a person's life. Fools rush in where angels fear to tread.

7 or 8 hours at night is about 1/3 of the activity time. And it is the time of darkness. I wouldn't classify that as BS. Everyone has their own level of risk they are willing to live with. At my age and have been in awkward situations and have seen what it can do to a person's life. Fools rush in where angels fear to tread.

You mean that time when I'm asleep and some token incompetent (or worse) male adult could be up to no good with one of my boys?

What risk do you think I'm taking by having a female adult if she is more trained and trustworthy, and the only one available?

(Full disclosure: in my current cadre of adults, trained and trustworthy males are more available, so this is a non-issue for us - most always male youth - at this time.)

The caveat in your comment "for us".  There's a whole world out there that doesn't take into consideration the myriad of possibilities of getting bit in the butt.  I just hate to see good scouters run aground because they weren't paying attention.