WHO IS GOING?!?!?!?

Who is going to the National Pinewood Derby in Time Square? My son qualified to go and we will just happen to be passing by the day before, so we decided to stay and will be camping at the Alpine Scout Camp in NJ (was provided free of charge). Just wanted to see if anyone else is going.

Yes, it is for District winner. This is because not every Council has a council level derby. I am not really sure why they chose Time Square, but this is its second year going. I think the Council there just decided to do it and BSA signed off on it.

Interesting, never heard about this.  Our District couldn't even put together a district-wide PWD, much less a Council-wide.  A National PWD... I wonder how many photo finishes there are going to be.  I know just at our Pack level the fastest cars were all very closely matched.  You can only do so much to optimize weight distribution and reduce friction... since most of these cars are likely to be hitting that sweet spot, I suspect some very close races will be had.

Very much so. When he went to Districts, it was SUPER close. When he went to Council it was really close, but his car had a malfunction and he didn't place. Since they went off of District and not Council he was still invited to go. We just have to correct the wheel rubbing on the side and he will be back in business. The best part is he really did do most of the work the design was even his. He is really proud of his work.

interesting.... my son asked me about this a few times, and I never had heard of it either.... and never bothered to look it up. (if there were regional, state, or national level races)

My son made it to district three times, and made it to our council level twice.... I think.  Anyway, I was proud of him, district is a big field!  I did perhaps more than I should have on his cars, but he had a part in building and doing all of it....  There at council,  he was up against some hard core 100% dad built stuff, and it was crazy.  He was not even close!

Hey David14, good luck to your son!!!!

@@blw2 - Thank you, I will pass it along. We can tell there are dad built stuff, just hope his car is fast enough. He said he would not be upset if he lost in Council...but he was...just had to tell him to fix his wheel rubbing and it will be ok and if he loses, well then oh well...he said ok :happy:

if I had been involved with the pack for a while longer, i might have worked on a track with a loop..... sorta like those old hotwheel tracks we had as kids.  I think the scouts would have had some fun with it.